• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Uncanny X-Men #16

11 posts in this topic

OK, this is the last X-Men I've scanned and I'll hold off on some more for awhile. 27_laughing.gif Maybe I'll choose another title. Like my #15, the bottom Right corner is bent, not missing. But what has troubled me on this one is the chip on the back cover missing and the "name" on the back. They've kept me at a VG 4.0 but I'm not sure if that's too high due to the chip and name.

xmen16.jpg[/img]

xmen16b.jpg[/img]

The front, especially the top half, is really pretty slick. I love that smooth top and right edge. My personal opinion is the back doesn't bother me that much, but you have to drop it some. My overall impression on the book is 5.0 or so, but maybe a little lower for the missing piece. I don't see how this book could be graded below very good.

Yeah, that's an interesting thread. This book is in better condition than the JIM, in my opinion.

I'm a cover man, i.e. I just don't get too excited about the back cover, which is going to spend the rest of its life staring at a backing board. Unless the BC is butchered, I mostly judge a book by its FRONT cover. I'm not saying the back doesn't matter, but come on, how important is it compared to the beauty of the cover?

Yeah, that's an interesting thread. This book is in better condition than the JIM, in my opinion.

Yes, and no. The Sig is "unsightly" and the chip is ahem, "huge" . . . Nice FC, but you grade the whole book, not just the FC. Looks to be about a 4.5 before you flip it over . . .

3.5 sumo.gif

Thanks for chiming in, Divad. I chalk this one up as a "learning experience" back when I bought this. It was a long time ago and I didn't take it out of the bag and look at the back. Oy. Live and learn. (Guess who learned and takes books out of the bags before purchase now? 27_laughing.gif )

Yep, you grade the whole book, but I think in general defects on the back are less damaging than on the front. Let's say a book has a one inch corner crease that breaks color on the front. Isn't that more of a problem than a similar crease on a back corner? As a collector, it makes a big difference in whether I purchase a book. I would be much less likely to purchase the book with the front cover crease.