• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Handwriting in/on books

12 posts in this topic

Many books have handwriting either on or in them. How badly does this effect grading. Does it make a difference if there's a scribble inside or a coupon filled out?

In addition, some dealers marked books with a large "C" on the cover's upper right hand corner in pencil, magic marker etc. How does this effect the book's grade?

Dates written or stamped on comics up to early Bronze books don't seem to get a deduction from CGC as long as it's not smacked across a hero.

It seems pretty divided between collectors it doesn't bother and those who despise cover dates.

Any other writing on or in a book would put a pretty big hit on the grade.

At least in my opinion.

If a crossword puzzle or coupon was filled in with pencil/pen, I'm sure there would be a deduction to the numerical grade. Mark Haspel stated that Cgc does not deduct much for date/store/name stamps unless it is right over the hero's face or multiple stamps on the back cover. If I get a creator's signature now, I ask them to sign the top white part of a slab or inside bottom of pg. 1 to a raw comic. 893blahblah.gif

It's an honor for a creator to be able to sign a book he helped bring to life.

To be asked to sign the plastic coffin that holds his book would be an insult.

At least it would be to me.

If you didn't care enough about my work to let me sign the actual book, then IMO you're just wanting to flip my sig. Therefore I could care less about signing it.

But then again. If I was the creator, I wouldn't charge cash for my signature.

You paid for the book. I would owe it to you to show courtesy and thanks to you for buying it by signing the book.

The only books I have ever had signed in person by a creator, were asked to sign them "TO STEVE..."

Every book I've ever had signed in person was signed on the actual book, and is still in my possession. And always will be.

But then again. I've never PAID to get an autograph. And never will.

If the creator is so stuck on himself to charge me for a signature, then I could care less about his John Handcock.

I was just being a [!@#%^&^] wiht my comment...I agree with your feelings that getting you comics signed is personal honor and not for resale....but why on the comic book? Why not on a sketch, or in an autograph book? or on your forehead? Just NOT on the comics...

If I care enough about the creator to ask him to sign a book, it's for my personal collection.

Every time I look at my signed books and see the personalized sig, it takes me back to the time that I met "so and so" and he was nice enough to sign this book for me. I can remember where I was, and what we talked about.

It's personal. It can't be shared with anyone else.

It's all for me, man.

My personalized books are mine.

I could care less if they were worth fifty cents, or $50,000.

They are priceless to me.

Absolutely my most prized books in my collection. And they will never belong to anyone but me.

Oh, I have a few sketches too.

I rate those with my signed books.

I even met an artist that did a back up story in a comic.

It was his first work.

I asked him to sign my book.

He started to sign it on the cover, when I stopped him.

I said "you didn't draw the cover".

He says..."Hmmm. You're right. I never thought of that."

I asked him to sign the first page of the story that he drew.

He signed it and I ripped off the first stories in the book to get to the page he signed.

I then tossed those in a trash can and put the rest of the book neatly back into it's mylar bag.

The guy couldn't believe what he saw.

Then he says..."You know, that the most amazing thing I've ever seen anyone do. I am humbled. I've signed hundreds of comics, but I will remember this one for the rest of my life."

Anyways. Believe it or not. That happened in July of 1993.

And I still have the book.

yeah i have been wondering on the exact deduction of interior writing. I have found a collection of books from 1967-1972 that are remarkable VF-NM copies in all respects, except for the guy wrote his name & where he bought it & the date he bought it inside EVERY ONE.893naughty-thumb.gif It didn't seem to matter on the group of famous monsters it was in, i sold those on ebay for some heavy $$$, but comic collectors are a different breed. Personally i'd rather have a book from this collectionat VF-NM then a VG copy without the writing inside. thoughts?