• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obadiah Oldbuck for sale! Scoop article 3/2/07

60 posts in this topic

this seminal publication set the stage for a four-color revolution that would take hold almost a century later.

Sure it did. sleeping.gif

Did PT Barnum write this ad?

893applaud-thumb.gif I just hurt myself laughing.

Give me a call sometime Vince, we'll catch up on things. flowerred.gif

this seminal publication set the stage for a four-color revolution that would take hold almost a century later.

Sure it did. sleeping.gif

Did PT Barnum write this ad?

I just assumed Heritage went into the OO thread and fished out some juicy hyperbole from Showcase 4. confused-smiley-013.gif

I still think "comic chapbook" would be a more accurate, less anachronistic term, but whatever label you want to give it, it is a very important piece of comic history.

I'm afraid it may be too soon for Showcase to recoup the aggressive price he paid for it (maybe in five years), especially with Heritage's premiums and fees. Despite that, I can't imagine better venue to sell a book like this, mainly because of their Barnumesque hype. Either way, I hope I'm proven wrong about what it will sell for and Showcase picks up plenty of Pre-Robin Tec spending money. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Good luck, Steve! thumbsup2.gif

hello all...

It has been my experience, when you have a high profile book, such as Steve, that you can negotiate with Heritage on the fee structure...I mean, after all, they are motivated by profit, correct (aren't we all to some degree)?...so if you had a book that would sell for $"X" (I never got into the whole OO/SM deal), then Steve could reasonably say to Heritage, "wave the seller premium" and you can auction the book off and get the "buyer premium"...or maybe sell at reduced rates ,etc ...

just a thought? The current heritage auction seems very weak, by past standards, so maybe they are motivated to get a high profile item to generate overall interest?...

rick

hope...Showcase picks up plenty of Pre-Robin Tec spending money. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Agree 1000%. Really, why root against a guy trying to sell an expensive book? This horse has been beaten to death, folks, give it a rest. confused-smiley-013.gif

hope...Showcase picks up plenty of Pre-Robin Tec spending money. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Agree 1000%. Really, why root against a guy trying to sell an expensive book? This horse has been beaten to death, folks, give it a rest. confused-smiley-013.gif

They must have really strong reasons for feeling this way.

You do have to navigate the waters to be able to calculate its true value[which we dont know yet.] The Heritage auction will answer this question and put it to rest.Im on the fence with this one now. My only issue is as times goes by, is that they always seem to find a comicbook that predates any they pick as the 1st comicbook.I mean first famous funnies was the first comic, than funnies on parade was. Than Detective Dan was, than the yellow kid was the first comicbook.and now Obiah is the first comicbook.I will not be surprised at all if they find a comicbook that predates Obiah,especially since the diffenition for a comicbook has become more loose [not just the moderm format I mean, 1933 and up] If Obiah were to lose its status as the 1st comicbook its value would fly south. I think this is a real issue to consider. Seams that every comicbook declared the 1ST comicbook always has temporary status as the first comicbook. Anyway for now, it is the first comicbook.

Example. I owned a beautiful copy of Famous Funnies Series # 1. Its a Gerber 10 !!! . and it was the first comicbook ever sold . That is why I bought it Period. I owned the very first comicbook ever sold. Than out of no where its seems it was discovered that Detective Dan preceeded it,Than the yellow kid. It was no longer the 1st comicbook ever sold. It became the first MODERN comicbook EVER SOLD.It lost its status and i lost 4 grand on my investment when I sold it.

Can you ever really find the true 1st comicbook is the issue I think?

Before someone tells me Funnies on Parade predated Famous Funnies Series 1 [which it did] Funnies on parade was a give a way] It was not a comicbook that was sold. No price tag on it. Im talkin comics thats were actually sold on news stand or in dept stores as Famous Funnies Seies 1 is.

As a Plug to Metro, Steve got me this wonderful impossible book to find. I always appreciated it and I still miss it dispite it losing its king of the hill status. A gerber 10, and a key. Wow !

The current heritage auction seems very weak, by past standards, so maybe they are motivated to get a high profile item to generate overall interest?...

rick

I agree. Unless they get something coming through the pipeline in the next two weeks, this looks like the weakest Signature auction for Golden Age books in quite a while. The recent Comiclink auction was better.

Showcase is a great guy. Im just being honest with a real life experience to share. I have no agenda other than to tell my truthful experience with comicbooks designated as the true 1st comicbook, and Im sharing it here. Nothing more than that at all. Maybe other guys like to be negitive for negitivities sake? I dont know.

Thats not the case here

The current heritage auction seems very weak, by past standards, so maybe they are motivated to get a high profile item to generate overall interest?...

rick

I agree. Unless they get something coming through the pipeline in the next two weeks, this looks like the weakest Signature auction for Golden Age books in quite a while. The recent Comiclink auction was better.

I for one am glad. The onslaught of incredible stuff fueled the market at first, but it has the boomerang effect as well. Books need to be a little harder to find to generate some new excitement and speculation. A nice cycle of peace and tranquility from Heritage would be a welcomed respite for our wallets.

Books need to be a little harder to find to generate some new excitement and speculation.

here you go Bill........Oldbuck fits this description ver nicely....didn't you just get a big bonus? poke2.gif

I did, but it is all gone and next year's is pre-spent already!!!!

Good luck on the book though Steve, I hope you do well. thumbsup2.gif

Oh hell yeah. This Signature auction is weak. Theres no more Perrino stuff to Pedal around any more. Thats where alot of there strengh came from.

Parrino was their main source for big-ticket items, but it was not a large amount of total dollars or total number of lots so far as I can tell. Geppi is almost certainly by far their biggest supplier of material. From talking with them at NY Con, they have a reasonable amount of interesting material at CGC. Of course one's views of Heritage depends heavily on what you collect so your mileage may vary.