• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obadiah Oldbuck for sale! Scoop article 3/2/07

60 posts in this topic

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=14710&si=123

Obadiah Oldbuck on the Auction Block

Auctions/Prices, Scoop, Friday, March 02, 2007

As regular Scoop readers know, the first American comic book wasn't Action Comics #1 (1939) or Famous Funnies #1 (1934). Not even close. Now a copy of the earliest known sequential American comic book, The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck, published in 1842, is being offered by Heritage Auction Galleries.

“The significance of this incredible artifact is hard to overstate,” Ed Jaster, Vice-President for the Dallas-based company said in a press release. “As the first American comic book, this seminal publication set the stage for a four-color revolution that would take hold almost a century later. It's interesting to note that this copy is printed in black and white and bound with string, as both color printing and staples had yet to be invented!”

The copy is a first edition, and less than a dozen copies have been confirmed to exist.

“The presentation of this first edition copy of The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck befits its significance,” Jaster said. “It's housed in a beautiful archival presentation folder. Obviously no 'high-grade' copy could be expected to exist for such an early item. We have assigned this an 'apparent' grade because of a meticulous conservation measure that was undertaken. As the conservation expert's notes state, 'The paper and inks were not conserved. The missing sewing was replaced using cotton thread that was acrylic-toned (Winsor & Newton) to appear a light tan color.'”

The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck - First Printing will be offered in Heritage Auction Galleries' upcoming Comics Signature Auction, to be held May 3-5, 2007 in the company's headquarters.

This auction is going to be fun... it's in the highest profile auction house... we'll find out who's right about the value of this book, no excuses.

So basically, the OO / Superman thread was started (and perpetuated well beyond any semblance of reason) for the purpose of shilling up this book for later sale?

This auction is going to be fun... it's in the highest profile auction house... we'll find out who's right about the value of this book, no excuses.

So basically, the OO / Superman thread was started (and perpetuated well beyond any semblance of reason) for the purpose of shilling up this book for later sale?

nice conspiracy theory, however like I said before, if you want to sell a Vic/Plat book, the last place you look for buyers would be the GA section of the Boards. The sale and the previous thread are apples and oranges

I think it will hit $12k less 29.5% for Heritage. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

do any of you know anyone beside the owner who would even consider 5 figures for it? i don't.

The one thing I know with certainty is that hyping certain books does increase interest and ultimately prices. Look at all the new entries into the War Action titles and pre-Robin Detectives. People that have been chasing these books for some time have added competition and have to pay more. My guess is that the previous pumping of OO has ultimately driven the price up. For myself, still don't consider it a comic regardless of how many "experts" decree it to be. I wouldn't pay more than $50 bucks for it but if I had a copy, I'd gladly sell it to you for 10k P&H included!

nice conspiracy theory, however like I said before, if you want to sell a Vic/Plat book, the last place you look for buyers would be the GA section of the Boards. The sale and the previous thread are apples and oranges

Conspiracy? Nope... just one person.