• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quick Question about Marvel Family

14 posts in this topic

I have decided to purchase my first golden age book, and think I have settled on I believe Marvel Family #1.

Just wanted a little input as to I am a golden age newbie, is this a good choice????

Good choice as in investment opportunity - or good choice as in how cool is the book?

It's a fairly inexpensive minor key given how long the title ran and that it contains 3 origin recaps and the first appearance of Black Adam. Fawcett titles don't generate the "heat" of Timelys or DC books from the era, but are generally far cheaper. For my money I like the early Whiz war covers and the Raboy Capt. Marvel Jr. covers when it comes to Fawcetts. My guess is Marvel Family has a smaller collector base than some of the other Capt. Marvel related titles, so I don't know how liquid it would be, unless Black Adam becomes a

major villain in the DC Universe.

Just more as coolness. Of course, I think most golden age are cool.

Right now, Black Adam is actually set to become a fairly larger villian in 52.

Thats what actually has attracted me to this book. I find Black Adam to be a very interesting character.

I thought the first Black Adam story was very effective so I admire your taste! thumbsup2.gif

The key thing before spending much money on anything is making sure you've done enough research to know that you'll like something and that you're paying an appropriate price. Overstreet is just a guide so check out GPA and Heritage as you making your purchases to help you make informed decisions.

I can appreciate this book as the first appearance of Black Adam, but I don't know how much his current or future popularity of Black Adam with modern comic readers will effect this book or its demand. I owned a nice copy this about 12 years ago and it was the hardest to move out of any GA book I ever owned or tried to sell. Of course that was before the poppularity of the internet.

Shazam #28 1976? would probably show a better return on your investment.

I can appreciate this book as the first appearance of Black Adam, but I don't know how much his current or future popularity of Black Adam with modern comic readers will effect this book or its demand. I owned a nice copy this about 12 years ago and it was the hardest to move out of any GA book I ever owned or tried to sell. Of course that was before the poppularity of the internet.

Shazam #28 1976? would probably show a better return on your investment.

Well, if its that hard to move, someone should just gimme one! stooges.gif

Investment wise, Im not all that concerned, would just like to make my first golden age purchase.

I think it's a really cool book (of course, I collect Archie insane.gif). If you're buying it to keep I think it's a very reasonable purchase--where else are you going to get a GA first issue of a superhero you've heard of for that kind of money? If you think you might be selling it at some point in the not-too-distant future, you will find it's not the most sought after book in the world.

I don't have a Marvel Family #1 in my collection, but have considered it. I just bought some Master, Whiz and Captain Marvel books from the Crowley collection all in 9.4 to 9.8 condition and they are awesome! Marvel Family #1 in really high grade would be a great book to have since it isn't expensive like a minor DC key book is!