• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

That Matching Moment

21 posts in this topic

I've not had that many RedHookGreenRiverdiscovery-esque moments, so when they come, it's pretty exciting.

Here's a DD 10 sold by a boardie as nothing more than a DD 10.

DD10.jpg

I recognized the date on it immediately as it matched one on my Ohio ToS 71.

TOS71.jpg

The dates up close:

DD10Date.jpg

TOS71Date.jpg

Good stuff! The marker used during a few months around these books was a real weak pale blue. On all the books I have, if the marker was on a dark background, it looks dark.

Here an FF 105 sold I believe by a boardie on eBay. It was advertised as an Ohio, but one can never tell.

FF105.jpg

But it matched my Sgt Fury 83 (on the big dude in the white's shirt).

SF83.jpg

Matching Ohios is a bit harder than books with date stamps since the markings were made by hand, but in these cases its hard not to trust that they match.

Along that line, anyone got a Bethlehem that matches this guy?

JIM125.jpg

It's a cool discovery, DKB, and one that I never would have made as former owner of the DD10. Although I'm far from a handwriting expert, and the "4s" look very different, I would think the similarity in the "8s" is pretty good evidence that the two books were purchased from the same store. headbang.gif

Bethlehem books from the late fifties have a black store stamp usually on the back, then sometime around 1960 changed over to the red date stamp as on your JIM. The letters are larger, the dating is distinct (note the "D" before the date in the example above) and the ink is a different shade than the Green River stamps.

It's a cool discovery, DKB, and one that I never would have made as former owner of the DD10. Although I'm far from a handwriting expert, and the "4s" look very different, I would think the similarity in the "8s" is pretty good evidence that the two books were purchased from the same store. headbang.gif

Even with the difference in the 4s, they share the same long stroke.

Most folks don't realize that some Ohios have marker dates. Everyone thinks grease pencil so they'd never stop to think your book might come from the same collection.

Bethlehem books from the late fifties have a black store stamp usually on the back, then sometime around 1960 changed over to the red date stamp as on your JIM. The letters are larger, the dating is distinct (note the "D" before the date in the example above) and the ink is a different shade than the Green River stamps.

I don't think the handwriting is the same. The 8 is different. One is more oval and one is more elongated. One for the 4's has a little extra flare the other doesn't. I don't think the same person wrote them.

every time i see a grease pencil in a certain style, i wonder...

a couple JLAs i picked up last week. whitest pages i've ever seen on books this old thumbsup2.gif

jla91saa1.jpg

jla92sss5.jpg

confused-smiley-013.gif

Unfortunately not Ohios. =(

That's not a date format used on the Ohios of that era. Silver books more often than not have a dash between the day and month, Bronze books usually have nothing, and I've only seen early Gold books that have the fraction format.

That's not a date format used on the Ohios of that era. Silver books more often than not have a dash between the day and month, Bronze books usually have nothing, and I've only seen early Gold books that have the fraction format.

oh well, can't be disappointed about something you never expected in the first place, right?

what about this one?

1671224-rawkid47vfx.jpg

it's not my book btw gossip.gif

1671224-rawkid47vfx.jpg.a670a2e9533fbf15d136957fc7e30ba0.jpg

Bethlehems and Green Rivers look a lot alike dont they 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Not really....the Beths often have that "D" in front of the date. There are other things too.

Great thread, DKB! Nice work!

Red

Thanks DKB for the info. I'll be making some 'new' OHIO's in the near future wink.gif

Thanks DKB for the info. I'll be making some 'new' OHIO's in the near future wink.gif

893whatthe.gif

oh well, can't be disappointed about something you never expected in the first place, right?

what about this one?

1671224-rawkid47vfx.jpg

it's not my book btw gossip.gif

It looks off. Other than that I'd have to compare the book to others I may have from the same time frame. I'll check on that when I get home.

For Silver books, especially those with dark covers, the date usually shows up in the title itself rather than down in the page. That'd be where I'd expect it to be in this case.

I've not had that many RedHookGreenRiverdiscovery-esque moments, so when they come, it's pretty exciting.

Here an FF 105 sold I believe by a boardie on eBay. It was advertised as an Ohio, but one can never tell.

FF105.jpg

But it matched my Sgt Fury 83 (on the big dude in the white's shirt).

SF83.jpg

Matching Ohios is a bit harder than books with date stamps since the markings were made by hand, but in these cases its hard not to trust that they match.

The Ohio FF 105 was mine. hi.gif