• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the deal with Detective #33

52 posts in this topic

I understand the cover appeal of detective #31 and #35 and agree that those are multiple guie books, but what is going on with #33. A CGC 9.2 (MP) is sitting on C'link at just over $8000 and even the $13,000+ asking price seems like a bargain. Then I see that Metro has two higher grade restored issues heavily discounted at less than $10,000 each. All of these seem like a steal compared to what I have seen most of the pre Robin 'Tecs selling for on these boards alone.

I am seriously considering investing in one of these #33's and am curious if I am missing something. Granted this is not as cool a cover as #31 or #35 and #35 has a low representation on the census, but this is still a major key issue. confused-smiley-013.gif

Your insight would be appreciated.

comes down to rarety.

Harder to find a #31 or #35 in same grade as a #33 hence premiun accordingly.

All 3 comics however are highly desirable in unrestored condition.

I would buy all 3 all day if offered to me.

Detective 33 contains the first origin of Batman. That is not in Detective 27[his first appearence] This is why its important. As far as it not being as valuable as you would think, well maybe because there are alot more Detective 33s around than you think, and this is true.

Of course, I would assume it would have to based on the quantity available to the few collectors that can afford books like these. Maybe I should have asked if anyone has any estimates on the quantities of Pre-Robin Detectives existing.

As I stated, using the only easily accsessible information, the CGC census, there does seem to be a shortage of #35 compared to othres. and while there are fewer high grade #31's there amount is just about eaqual.

Is OSPG so far off that A slabbed #33 9.2 MP can barely get a bid above 10% of guide while #35 raw 8.0 EP can have a price tag of 80% of guide.?

I understand the cover appeal of detective #31 and #35 and agree that those are multiple guie books, but what is going on with #33. A CGC 9.2 (MP) is sitting on C'link at just over $8000 and even the $13,000+ asking price seems like a bargain. Then I see that Metro has two higher grade restored issues heavily discounted at less than $10,000 each. All of these seem like a steal compared to what I have seen most of the pre Robin 'Tecs selling for on these boards alone.

I am seriously considering investing in one of these #33's and am curious if I am missing something. Granted this is not as cool a cover as #31 or #35 and #35 has a low representation on the census, but this is still a major key issue. confused-smiley-013.gif

Not trying to start World War 3 here on the Boards, but if your objective is truly "investing", then you would not want a restored copy.......the 3 copies of Tec 33 you referenced above all have 2 things in common: all 3 are restored and all 3 are not selling quickly, or at all ( at least not at their present asking prices )

hello all...

tis true...I would jump on a 4.5 CGC tec 33 at $10-11K before I would buy a restored 9.2...that said, nothing wrong with tec 33...there is just currently seemingly "ample" supply...the first tec I bought...you guessed it, #33 in cgc 4.5 blue!

rick

Not trying to start World War 3 here on the Boards, but if your objective is truly "investing", then you would not want a restored copy.......the 3 copies of Tec 33 you referenced above all have 2 things in common: all 3 are restored and all 3 are not selling quickly, or at all ( at least not at their present asking prices )

Not wanting to engage in WW3 either, but come on. It's the origin story of Batman, a rare 1939 issue with a story that has been retold thousands of times and is known by just about everybody on the entire planet. Are you saying that's a bad "investment" because it's restored while the Reform School Girl reeprinting an avon paperback cover s worth more just because it isn't? (or just because you sold it). Honestly, I thought that was a terrible investment for whomever bought it, but I said nothing while it was listed because it's not business to try to interfere between you and your potential buyers. I am not the one listing the books you're referring for sale, but somebody out there is, and they are being honest and disclosing it and doing everything they are supposed to do. Yet you're apparently trying to influence people not to buy their books. Would you be willing to accept and not complain aout people doing the same to your books when they see them up for sale? Give it a moment's thought i fyou're inclined to answer.

Are you saying that's a bad "investment" because it's restored while the Reform School Girl reeprinting an avon paperback cover s worth more just because it isn't? (or just because you sold it). Honestly, I thought that was a terrible investment for whomever bought it,

Yes, that is what I'm saying....and it has nothing to do with the fact that I was the seller....I would buy a high grade unrestored CGC graded Reform School Girl! as an investment ( the issue here ) all day long before I would buy resotred pre-Robin Tecs including 33, and if you look at my want list at the bottom of my posts, you will see I am buying pre-Robin Tecs presently...not Reform School Girl!

That buyer, ( a savvy collector/investor by the way) got a tremendous book worth every penny of the $11,001 he paid...and I will go to my grave KNOWING he has an outstanding investment comic to be proud to be own.

Are you saying that's a bad "investment" because it's restored while the Reform School Girl reeprinting an avon paperback cover s worth more just because it isn't? (or just because you sold it). Honestly, I thought that was a terrible investment for whomever bought it,

Yes, that is what I'm saying....and it has nothing to do with the fact that I was the seller....I would buy a high grade unrestored CGC graded Reform School Girl! as an investment ( the issue here ) all day long before I would buy resotred pre-Robin Tecs including 33, and if you look at my want list at the bottom of my posts, you will see I am buying pre-Robin Tecs presently...not Reform School Girl!

That buyer, ( a savvy collector/investor by the way) got a tremendous book worth every penny of the $11,001 he paid...and I will go to my grave KNOWING he has an outstanding investment comic to be proud to be own.

I have no problem with you saying your book is a great investment. But why do so many of your posts contain disparaging remarks about other people's books?

(e.g. it's apparently not enough to say Obadiah Oldbuck is worth a lot; it has to be implied that Superman should be worth less)

One factor in sales could be that people who disagree about the value of your books give you the courtesy of staying mostly silent, but you do not seem to return the favor.

I have no problem with you saying your book is a great investment. But why do so many of your posts contain disparaging remarks about other people's books? One factor in sales could be that people who disagree about the value of your books give you the courtesy of staying mostly silent, but you do not seem to return the favor.

Blue,

McMIles asked a question....he was seeking opinions. I was honest as I always am...I have said it before and I'll say it again.....I am not trying to hurt anyones books or book values with my comments...this is a public forum, and I am expressing my opinion.........if you wrote down on a piece of paper all the opinions on the Boards that indirectly caused a negative view on someone else's comic in their collection, it would wrap around the moon 5 times and you'd still only be 1/2 way thru the list.

I think it is a wonderful book and a fine investment. I have always been able to sell pre-robin Detectives for a profit. Restored or not. I'd wager I have sold as many, if not more copies of them than anyone on these boards, except for Metropolis of course. And I can tell you when priced to move, they fly. They are as liquid a comic asset as you can find.

31 is always hot, 35 is in a heyday right now, which makes it a good time to buy a 33 in my opinion. It will come back around and if you want it then, it will cost you more money.

I think it is a wonderful book and a fine investment. I have always been able to sell pre-robin Detectives for a profit. Restored or not. I'd wager I have sold as many, if not more copies of them than anyone on these boards, except for Metropolis of course. And I can tell you when priced to move, they fly. They are as liquid a comic asset as you can find.

31 is always hot, 35 is in a heyday right now, which makes it a good time to buy a 33 in my opinion. It will come back around and if you want it then, it will cost you more money.

Thanks thumbsup2.gif

Thanks thumbsup2.gif

You are welcome MC. And I may have told you this before, but your avatar rocks! I hope to reacquire the book from whence it came very soon.

Thanks thumbsup2.gif

You are welcome MC. And I may have told you this before, but your avatar rocks! I hope to reacquire the book from whence it came very soon.

Reaquire? Taken from the scan of my copy.

Exciting9.jpg

Thanks thumbsup2.gif

Reaquire? Taken from the scan of my copy.

Exciting9.jpg

hail.gif893whatthe.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I just LOVE that book. I hated selling the ones I had. This time, when I get one, it will be a keeper!

Thanks, I hope you aquire another one soon. I was thrilled to get this one, even though it has some amature CT, cleaning and tape. I sent classics incorporated an e-mail over a week ago about fixing the amature work and removing the unnecessary tape, but have not heard back yet.