• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grail #2 is here!

23 posts in this topic

Having been collecting Golden Age Superman books for about 5 years, there are 2 books that had become grails for me. Superman 14, with it's iconic cover, was one that I had loved since being given a Superman reprint book back as a kid (Superman: from the 30's to the 70's). It was always one of the more expensive books that I wanted, and I put off getting one for years. It always seemed readily available, but was tough to find that right combination of affordability and eye appeal. I had decided that this was the year to get one, though, so started seriously looking.

The second book was my absolute favorite Action cover, #39. A few years back, when Action war books were readily available, I was able to pick up almost all the ones between 35 and 66. But 39 just never surfaced, and when it did, it was beat, heavily restored, or overpriced. (or all 3!) I honestly thought I would just NEVER get one.

So early this past february, with Superman 14 in mind, I spotted a great looking, slightly restored book on eBay with an unrestored OPG BIN. It was just minor pro CT, so I threw in a lowball offer, thinking it was an OK deal at that price. (And personally, I believe the market for restored books will grow greatly in the coming years, so that didn't bother me greatly).

10 seconds later, offer accepted!

893whatthe.gif

It was just about as much as I had ever spent on a book, so I was slightly in shock, but happy with the purchase. Until the next day.

I received a PM from Durden, alerting me to my true grail book hidden in an eBay store- Action 39, with a Krazy asking price. Normally I'd have just bit the bullet and done it- if not for the major book I'd just bought less than 24 hours earlier. But after 5 years of looking, how could I just pass it by? I threw in another lowball offer, and waited.... til time expired.

I still wasn't ready to give up, so I then asked PointFive to throw in a 2nd offer for me- to which he got a decent counter offer. To which I couldn't let the book go. 2 days later:

ac39ta5.jpg

acclaim.gif

1 week then went by. 2 weeks. I emailed the seller of the Superman #14- "WTF?" 3 weeks. foreheadslap.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

finally, today, a full MONTH after winning it:

20070305144450uz1.jpg

(my scanner hates slabs)

so now, with my 2 grail books acquired (and 35 books sold off to pay for them) I feel pretty fulfilled. But---

what do I do now?

893whatthe.gif

Congratulations.

I know what it means to get a grail. One of mine arrived today (willpost in Tec thread later today) and I am just sitting here with a big grin on my face.

Two in short time is fantastic.

They look great.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks all! Especially Jon and Durden. If it were not for the boards, I'd likely have neither of these.

re: grade - There's a really really faint book-length vertical crease through the front cover, that's about all I can figure. I think the grade is technically accurate, but it certainly presents much better. The CT looks like it's just 2 or 3 spine stresses. The book is likely the same grade without the work...hm...

Congratulations...

so now, with my 2 grail books acquired (and 35 books sold off to pay for them) I feel pretty fulfilled. But---

what do I do now?

893whatthe.gif

This is what you'll do now... after a while... get bored... crack'em.. read'em ...smell'em and sell'em. tongue.gif

It surely does! And I usually prefer raw books, but if there were one book I'd keep slabbed it might be this one. I'm thinking the black ink on the edges might flake a bit with too much Mylar back-and-forth.

Great books Matt! Both books present really well. Amazing that you were able to pickup your two biggest grails in the same month after years of looking.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Although reading through these forums it seems like that happens a lot. Life is cruel like that. Or in this case, a blessing. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Great books Matt! Both books present really well. Amazing that you were able to pickup your two biggest grails in the same month after years of looking.

893applaud-thumb.gif

And here's hoping this is your year too, Brian!

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

And here's hoping this is your year too, Brian!

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Thanks Jon. thumbsup2.gif