• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rhino's WonderCon Report updated with MORE compromising photos! :banana:

80 posts in this topic

Part One: Thursday and Friday:

This was my first time at Wondercon, and it happened purely by serendipity, as I had some business meetings in Palo Alto at Stanford University that week and so I stayed for the weekend to attend the con.

I drove up on Thursday evening to have a pre-Con dinner with some of the locals: FFB, Jeffreykli, Jbud, Jimm94 (well, he used to be local), as well as Golddust40 and Greggy. We had sushi at Zushi Puzzle and after many rounds of maguro, toro, unagi, and a couple of dragon rolls, we polished off a bottle of sake and knocked back a few beers. FFB was superbly jazzed after his lunch with Craig Fleissel (see the FFB report for details) and brought the cover reproduction of ‘Tec 15 that he had purchased just a few hours before. We had a great time and it was great to finally meet the infamous Greggy.

Greggy and Jimm94

DSC02042.jpg

Jbud, FFB, and Jeffreykli

DSC02043.jpg

The Graemlins RULE!

L-R: FFB, Jeffreykli, Rhino (me), Greggy, Jimm94, Jbud

DSC02045.jpg

Friday I had some business in the morning in Palo Alto and the Con opened at noon. I got to my hotel, the W (highly recommended) and checked in, stowed my stuff and walked across the street to the Con at 11 am. From the window of my hotel room I could see a long line was already forming outside the Mosconi convention center – that got me pretty stoked. Once I got there, Wondercon was in full effect – a crew of stormtroopers had already gathered to monitor security.

DSC02046.jpg

I had a dealer pass and went sckao’s booth. Shin and his wife were there setting up. I put some books I’d brought to sell on his back display and started to mosey around the con to see what was there. I wasn’t looking for anything actually, but wanted to just take in the experience. I was surprised at the turnout of art dealers: Albert Moy, Tri-State (Hans K), and Bechara, had impressive displays of art. I sniffed around for some high-grade pre-hero books but nobody had anything that I was looking for. In fact, I went to one booth and the owner said there was one booth that had some really nice top-census stuff and pointed to Shin’s booth – to the books I brought to sell! 27_laughing.gifforeheadslap.gif Turns out is was our own cw here on the boards! Thanks Chris!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Shin (sckao) and Lisa Kao

DSC02048.jpg

CW, Pimpin' my wares

DSC02050.jpg

Stopped by Lee’s Comics to get my free comic from his comic spinner rack (as posted by Lee). I introduced myself to Lee and then picked out a Marvel Collector’s Item Classics: lots of good Silver Age stuff for the readin’! yay.gif

By this time the hall was getting full – and the costumed characters were out and about. Here’s a few of the what I saw:

Hot Marial Arts video chicks:

DSC02055.jpg

WonderWoman and friends

DSC02056.jpg

Gender bender and scar-face

DSC02058.jpg

Some chick and a corset booth:

DSC02059.jpg

Penguin and Joker post-Swedish clinic surgery

DSC02087.jpg

Me, attacked by an Alien, ARRGGGHHH!!!!

DSC02086.jpg

Pacman vs the monsters (waka waka waka waka)

DSC02099.jpg

Robin the Boy Hostage meets Stormtrooper Elvis!

DSC02096.jpg

Electro and Black Cat!

DSC02100.jpg

A future cash cow for family psychotherapists....

DSC02097.jpg

More family fun!

DSC02102.jpg

Catwoman and Harley (Quinn, not Yee)

DSC02076.jpg

Silly English Kniggggits!!!!

DSC02072.jpg

Vision and the Wasp!

DSC02070.jpg

MORE TO COME, including Saturday Lunch with DeeDee, Jim (Tonystarkfan), thecollector, and Greggy. Also Forum Dinner pics, Scott (FFB) doing his best Leifeld imitation, and who knows what else!

Friday night a bunch of us went out including FFB, Liz, JBud, Steve Borock, and met up with Ron Murray, Harley Yee, and many others. We ate delicious German food (the schnitzel ROCKED) and put away a few large steins of beer.

The German restaurant's owner, with "Hans" Borock and me

DSC02063.jpg

After multiple steins of beer are drank, Liz, Ron Murray, JBud and Scott doing the classic "Liefeld" Pose yay.gif

DSC02066.jpg

SATURDAY

Saturday was more of the same: Freaks, geeks, and who knows what else.

Went to lunch with DeeDee, Tonystarkfan, Greggy, and the collector. I have to say, DeeDee and Jim are so nice and cool. Greggy, well, not so much poke2.gifstooges.gif

DeeDee and Jim (Tonystarkfan). DeeDee is EXTRA jazzed about meeting chewbacca!

DSC02079.jpg

The Streets of San Francisco: WonderCon style:

DSC02078.jpg

DSC02077.jpg

DSC02080.jpg

DSC02067.jpg

DSC02068.jpg

There were also a ton of great panels. My favorite featured Mutts comic strip creator Patrick McDonnell interviewed by comic art collector and author ("Carter Beats the Devil") Glen David Gold. If you don't read Mutts, you should.

DSC02090.jpg

MORE TO COME: Forum Dinner craziness!!!!

Rhino's WonderCon Report: An epic saga in Three Acts

ACT THREE: Where our heroes continue their trek through geekdom, attend a fine culinary function, and get hammered! Featuring pics of lots of drunken forumites!!

yay.gif

So, I haven't talked much about what I purchased because I did not purchase a whole lot of stuff. I saw a ton of art I'd like to buy, none of it affordable frown.gif The sad truth is that most Kirby and Ditko pages that I really jones for have priced themselves out of my reach. But I did drool on a lot of stuff at Albert Moy's, Bechara's, and Hans's Tri-State Art.

I did pick up some nice TOUGH to find Marvelmania stuff, including the Jack Kirby portfolio. I owe Greggy my eternal gratitude because he saw them and purchased some and when I saw it I was like "Where did you get THAT?!!" Fortunately the booth had multiple copies of a few things (they were Mark Evanier's file copies) so I managed to pick up a set too. THANKS Greggy! hail.gif

Shin had a couple of Fanzines featuring early Byrne art so I picked those up. Thanks Shin! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I also got some sketches which I'll post later in the Original Art forum. I got a Mignola Hellboy head sketch (just a quickie), a full figure Brent Anderson Jitterjack sketch (Astro City), and a nice pre-hero homage sketch.

Jimm picked up a fine piece of art, but I won't steal his thunder and will let him post all about. I have a great pic of him with the page that I'll have to send to him.

But enough of that, you people want to see FREAKS. And I've got 'em..... grin.gif

Cockknocker from the Oni "Bluntman and Chronic" book:

DSC02084.jpg

Ooooh, shiny!

DSC02082.jpg

Batman. Hey, he's got my abs!!!

DSC02092.jpg

Ok, well, this guy has abs more like mine.... sorry.gif

DSC02094.jpg

Greggy shows off his forum dinner outfit!

DSC02095.jpg

Ok, now I need to do another post with all the dinner photos. There's too many of 'em.... 27_laughing.gif

THE DINNER

First of all, I have to thank FFB, Steve Borock, and CGC for putting on the dinner. It was a ton of fun. Ok, Two Tons of Fun, Silent Bob!!

Synopsis: We ate, we drank, we talked comics, we drank some more, we talked about comics, drank, and they kicked us out. So we walked down to a pub, drank some more, almost saw a major fistfight between to very drunken, tattooed, and facially pierced fellows, and closed down the pub.

Now that's what I call a fun night. Met a lot of cool, fun, knowledgeable people I didn't know, such as Divad, Rosland, Paris_Fred, Golddust40, seank, fatpinko, and many many others. And saw lots of old friends! So without further adeiu, here's more pics:

Our hardworking organizer. And FFB. 27_laughing.gif

DSC02104.jpg

Insert your own funny caption here.

DSC02103.jpg

Paul Litch and Golddust

DSC02108.jpg

thecollector and Liz, aka Mrs. FFB, aka PSI3000 (hey Liz you need to post more!)

DSC02109.jpg

Scott and Rosland

DSC02110.jpg

L-R: FatPinko, (uh, I drank too much and don't remember his name), and Ron Murray. Somebody get Ron more wine, STAT!

DSC02112.jpg

Greggy, DeeDee, Jeffreykli

DSC02113.jpg

Bottoms up. Notice the grins get bigger as the night goes on!

DSC02114.jpg

thecollector and his rockin' sketch cards

DSC02117.jpg

Borock and me!

DSC02116.jpg

sumo.gif Boys, boys, stop fighting over DeeDee! She's married to Tonystarkfan you knuckleheads!!!!

DSC02106.jpg

Friends 4-evah. Don't you love a happy ending? flowerred.gif

DSC02107.jpg

Borock, Jimm, Rosland, POV, Rhino

DSC02118.jpg

Divad, Greggy, Paris_Fred, Jeffreykli

DSC02121.jpg

Bleedin' drunkards! yay.gif

FFB, Jimm, Greggy, POV, Liz, Paris_Fred, Jbud, me, golddust40, jeffreykli

DSC02122.jpg

And that, my friends, is how a forum dinner should go.

Again, many thanks to everybody who was there, even the people I didn't get to meet!

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!!!!

Winner of the Beaver Hunt contest! 27_laughing.gif Ok, not really. It's the Monterrey Bay Aquarium Otter!

DSC02053.jpg

Candy magnate or child molester? You decide!

DSC02054.jpg

Harley, borock, and Harley's brother in law (Ron I think)

DSC02062.jpg

What is the deal with all the socially-challenged individuals who dress up in those costumes? confused-smiley-013.gif

I remember a couple of years ago I was watching CNN Headline news, and for some strange reason the entertainment reporter attended some huge Sci-Fi convention to do a story, and made a point of asking a bunch of the guys who were dressed up in costumes if they had a girlfriend or were married, and not a single one said yes. It was funny, but then again kinda sad. I know, it is not exactly a scientific sampling and also not exactly a comic show...but still...it just illustrates how the lonely comic-collecting nerd stereotype stays alive and well!

acclaim.gif

GREAT pics Steve! 893applaud-thumb.gif the forum dinner was great, don't think it could've been any better thumbsup2.gif

I have to agree with that! sumo.gif A merry bunch of gypsies, tramps and thieves! 27_laughing.gif

GREAT pics Steve! 893applaud-thumb.gif the forum dinner was great, don't think it could've been any better thumbsup2.gif

I have to agree with that! sumo.gif A merry bunch of gypsies, tramps and thieves! 27_laughing.gif

acclaim.gif

Here's a few more random pics from the con... cloud9.gif

CGC booth, at one of the few times it wasn't swamped!

DSC02083.jpg

One of Patrick McDonnell's Mutt's Strips. This one is a homage to underground comics and Frank Zappa's album. He incorporates a lot of comic homages into his Sunday strips.

DSC02088.jpg

Captain America -- Fresh from Civil War!

DSC02071.jpg

Albert Moy's Eisner Spirit cover. Only $30K!! Dang, where's my wallet......

DSC02069.jpg

Another family of Klingons. confused-smiley-013.gif

DSC02098.jpg

"None Shall Pass!!!"

DSC02073.jpg

More costumed ones

DSC02075.jpg

A Forum Dinner pic

DSC02119.jpg

...Rocketeer still a tad hung over,...alcohol bad,.... tongue.gif

The guy whose name you don't remember is Jeff G. He is a friend of Ron Murry's and is a great guy who loves (and owns) some great books.

L-R: FatPinko, (uh, I drank too much and don't remember his name), and Ron Murray. Somebody get Ron more wine, STAT!

DSC02112.jpg