• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,435 posts in this topic

i love that bailey cover on the weird mysteries, its a soti book too, isn't it? What issue did you have previously? They are all great books, but i really like that crime book. Nice, clean, green cover, its a cool book! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Yeah, the WM is a SOTI. This is the WM I already have but I think am gonna keep it! grin.gif

wm11.jpg

SOTI is what? confused-smiley-013.gif

SOTI is what?

SOTI is a book put out in 1954 by Dr. Frederic Wertham, called Seduction Of The Innocent. It attempted to show that comic books caused juvenile delinquency. Things ended up in a 1955 Senate Sub-Comittee hearing. The hearing determined that, while no direct correlation between juvenile delinquency and comic books had been proven, the comic books of the day were sufficiently violent, sexual, etc. As a result, the Senate advised the comic book publishers to come up with a self-governing code. Those white stamps saying "Approved by the Comics Code" you see on most comic books came out of that.

You may also see references to "POP" books. This came out of Parade Of Pleasure, a similar book that also covered other forms of media such as television and magazines in addition to comics.

it was mentioned in "Seduction of the Innocent" the book that tried to tie juvenile delinquincy to comic book in the early 50's.

Wasn;t stepping on your explanation - it TOOk me about 8 minutes to copmpose that. Got dinner on the stove and many quick trips! grin.gif

For my final book of the night I'll move to the year 1940, which for me is the Silver Age. Here's an early, hard-to-find Moldoff:

here is something oddly compelling about that woman's face. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif She has an almost girl next door look combined with just a touch of Hannibal Lechter.

This is a recent ebay win. I had a copy of this comic in a small 1950's accumulation I bought decades ago. I sold it back then after I read it as I didn't collect pre-code horror at the time. I regretted selling it years later and have been looking in vain for a copy for the last 5 years. Its a nostalgic trip rereading these stories after all those years.

voodoo_3.jpg

Nice book, Bonds! Btw., my own copy also has the 3 horiz. white streaks in the blue area (center right) and the one streak in the dark green area (center). This must have been a printing defect or a flaw in the original art - wonder if it is on all copies?

This showed up in the mail today:

headline_06.jpg

Nothing like kids with machine guns!

Very pleased with the copy considering how inexpensive it was. I'm getting dangerously close to completing my "pre-crime" run of Headline Comics (though I know #8's gonna hurt).

This showed up in the mail today:

headline_06.jpg

Nothing like kids with machine guns!

Very pleased with the copy considering how inexpensive it was. I'm getting dangerously close to completing my "pre-crime" run of Headline Comics (though I know #8's gonna hurt).

at least they're killing nazi's

I know it's not the pretiest copy, but I won this for $8 on Ebay a few weeks ago and I can still appreciate the cover art (Schomberg) grin.gif

blackterror15.jpg

Now the question is what can I do to keep it together 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nothing is brittle per say, but as you can see there is some chipping on the cover that looks like it could come off at anytime. Should I just leave it in the bag as is or is there something else I could do to preserve it better???

Nice Black Terror for the price!

I'm not so sure that I would do too much playing around with it unless you are just looking to experiment. But, you can buy archival, removable tape at most art or framing stores. If you wanted to try to stablize the spine, that would be a good place to start.

Here's what showed up in my mail this morning:

dd_42.jpg

Aside from a 1/4" tear on the right edge of the front cover, the book is pretty much spotless. It was sold as a VF- and I paid abut the FN- price. Needless to say that I will continue to watch the seller's auctions.