• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,416 posts in this topic

Exactly, tth2. When you are an eighteen year old born, raised, and living in Germany and you get the draft letter, you better show up!

He was a messenger that rode on horseback from town to town for the army. They didn't want everything broadcast over the air.

Exactly, tth2. When you are an eighteen year old born, raised, and living in Germany and you get the draft letter, you better show up!

He was a messenger that rode on horseback from town to town for the army. They didn't want everything broadcast over the air.

Of course. I get all that. As days go by, you don't get to meet/hear about WW II vets and I can't say that I've ever known someone (as much as you can "know" somebody online) who was or has a relative that fought for the Germans. Having a degree in history, it's very interesting. Which I expressed as "crazy." Hopefully there was no offense taken there...

No offense taken, Susanville! Since you have a history degree, you might find interesting the fact that my uncle was knocked unconscious by mortar fire while riding and woke up in a a POW held by the Americans(lucky for him) . For him the war was over and he had it good from there on. They sent him to the USA after that. He went to Pike' s Peak in Colorado to a POW camp. He said it was pretty good there. The Americans treated him well.

I always talk to him about his first hand experiences with the war. Guys like him won't be around to much longer. It's like watching the History/Discovery Channels when the do the WWII thing.

two things:

why is superman swimming?

your uncle fought FOR the germans? crazy.

I believe Superman didn't have the ability to fly until like 1945 or 46 when DC added this power. Until then, he could just leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Per "The Great Comic Book Heroes" by Jules Feiffer, the first appearance of Superman was in the Action Comics June issue of 1938. The episode was drawn by Joe Shuster and written by Jerome Siegel. This book contains reproductions of many of the original comics.

Superman is a hero from the getgo, as the June 1938 issue (Superman # 1) tells of his origins on Kypton, being raised by the Kents, and becoming Superman. One panel says this, "As the lad grew older, he learned to his delight that he could hurdle skyscrapers..." In a later Siegel and Shuster episode (Superman # 3) there is a panel that states, "With the speed of light, he [superman] reaches the railroad trestle___".

Per "The Great Superman Book" by Michael Fleisher, E. The Super-Powers 2. Super-Speed and the Power of Flight, “In the early years of his super-heroic career, Superman was not endowed with the power of flight. Although he possessed superhuman speed, he moved from place to place by running or by executing gigantic leaps. Month by month, however, Superman’s running speed increased, along with the complexity of the aerial maneuvers he was able to perform once he had left the ground. The transition from leaping to actual flying was extraordinarily gradual and was punctuated with a great deal of inconsistency. Not until May 1943, in fact, is Superman explicitly referred to as a “being who can fly like a bird” (Act No. 60: Lois Lane-Superwoman!”), and not until later that same year can it be said, without qualification, that Superman actually possesses the power of flight (Act 65, Oct ’43; “The Million-Dollar Marathon!”; and others).”

Finally, the reason for the power of flight, along with all the other super-powers, went through a series of changes starting with an undocumented one (being an alien) in 1938. The latest, per the above reference, is the “ultra solar rays of Earth’s yellow sun.”

Per "The Great Comic Book Heroes" by Jules Feiffer, the first appearance of Superman was in the Action Comics June issue of 1938. The episode was drawn by Joe Shuster and written by Jerome Siegel. This book contains reproductions of many of the original comics.

Superman is a hero from the getgo, as the June 1938 issue (Superman # 1) tells of his origins on Kypton, being raised by the Kents, and becoming Superman. One panel says this, "As the lad grew older, he learned to his delight that he could hurdle skyscrapers..." In a later Siegel and Shuster episode (Superman # 3) there is a panel that states, "With the speed of light, he [superman] reaches the railroad trestle___".

Per "The Great Superman Book" by Michael Fleisher, E. The Super-Powers 2. Super-Speed and the Power of Flight, “In the early years of his super-heroic career, Superman was not endowed with the power of flight. Although he possessed superhuman speed, he moved from place to place by running or by executing gigantic leaps. Month by month, however, Superman’s running speed increased, along with the complexity of the aerial maneuvers he was able to perform once he had left the ground. The transition from leaping to actual flying was extraordinarily gradual and was punctuated with a great deal of inconsistency. Not until May 1943, in fact, is Superman explicitly referred to as a “being who can fly like a bird” (Act No. 60: Lois Lane-Superwoman!”), and not until later that same year can it be said, without qualification, that Superman actually possesses the power of flight (Act 65, Oct ’43; “The Million-Dollar Marathon!”; and others).”

Finally, the reason for the power of flight, along with all the other super-powers, went through a series of changes starting with an undocumented one (being an alien) in 1938. The latest, per the above reference, is the “ultra solar rays of Earth’s yellow sun.”

in the immortal words of johnny carson: "i did not know that."

No offense taken, Susanville! Since you have a history degree, you might find interesting the fact that my uncle was knocked unconscious by mortar fire while riding and woke up in a a POW held by the Americans(lucky for him) . For him the war was over and he had it good from there on. They sent him to the USA after that. He went to Pike' s Peak in Colorado to a POW camp. He said it was pretty good there. The Americans treated him well.

I always talk to him about his first hand experiences with the war. Guys like him won't be around to much longer. It's like watching the History/Discovery Channels when the do the WWII thing.

Wow. I've seen documentaries on German POW's and how well they were treated compared to US soldiers in Germany and especially in Japan. As much as I wouldn't have wanted to be captured in Germany, Japan would have been worse. One of my all-time favorite movies is Stalag 17 (HIGHLY recommended!) which gives you a slight taste of the POW experience but I couldn't believe how we treated Germans. They were "interned" in the south, the southwest, etc. It got to the point where they were nearly unsupervised in some locations because there was nowhere for them to go - where you going to escape from Arizona to? New Mexico? Such a difference. Anyway, cool stuff.

Here's a craptacular scan of a tough book. Startling Comics 10 - 1st Fighting Yank

Only 4 graded, none higher than 5.5. This is the 2nd copy I've owned. I'd have to say that this one is definitely tougher to find than it's "sister" Exciting 9. Although that's a great book too.

529766-startling%2010a.JPG

589a8b0b8099e_529766-startling10a.JPG.2e849a3c401a238a09359202ec653265.JPG

Here's a craptacular scan of a tough book. Startling Comics 10 - 1st Fighting Yank

Only 4 graded, none higher than 5.5. This is the 2nd copy I've owned. I'd have to say that this one is definitely tougher to find than it's "sister" Exciting 9. Although that's a great book too.

529766-startling%2010a.JPG

You've got some nice looking books in your collection. Where in the world did you find this copy? What type of grade is this in and when did you picked it up?

Also, as you said, this book is definitely MUCH TOUGHER to find than the Exciting #9. Congrats on being able to find one. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Here are some issues from a Disney lot I picked up recently. I'll only post the better issues as the VG's are fairly common. FC 62 is rarely for sale and if they are, they look like this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3972&item=2253506964&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I always liked how this issue was in the overstreet ads for a while. The WDCS 40 is nice being a black cover. Golden age Disney's are kind of like Silver Age DC. They are common enough, but finding them in high grade is really tough and they command a premium not reflected in the guide.

fc62.jpg

wdcs40.jpg

By coincidence, FC 62 and WDC&S 40 have my favorite full-length

and ten-page stories by Barks. "Snow Fun" is just brilliantly funny

and still makes me laugh whenever I read it. "Frozen Gold" was

Barks' first successful adventure and his real breakthrough as

a storyteller afaiac. FC 62 is one of my favorite comic books of

all time; GA Disney doesn't get any better than this. I used to own

one of the CGC VF+ copies and direly regret giving it away for $2,000

a couple of years ago. Another 8.5 recently sold for almost twice

that.

----

Here's another of my own recent upgrades. Nice copies from the first

two years are much more in demand than most of the later issues (I

know after upgrading and reselling more than 200 MM Mags) and finding

any issue in this kind of shape is unheard of. I only got it because

one of the biggest comic collectors, who had owned it for decades,

wanted to help me finish my set - incredibly nice of him!

My VF run of the first 4 years is now almost complete, but I am

still missing 8 issues from the 5th/last year. These would have

about the same impact on me as the "Last Four" would have on Ian -

I would greatly appreciate any help locating them and will obviously

pay extremely well.

m26_m.jpg

Edited by hkp

By coincidence, FC 62 and WDC&S 40 have my favorite full-length

and ten-page stories by Barks. "Snow Fun" is just brilliantly funny

and still makes me laugh whenever I read it. "Frozen Gold" was

Barks' first successful adventure and his real breakthrough as

a storyteller afaiac. FC 62 is one of my favorite comic books of

all time; GA Disney doesn't get any better than this. I used to own

one of the CGC VF+ copies and direly regret giving it away for $2,000

a couple of years ago. Another 8.5 recently sold for almost twice

that.

----

Here's another of my own recent upgrades. Nice copies from the first

two years are much more in demand than most of the later issues (I

know after upgrading and reselling more than 200 MM Mags) and finding

any issue in this kind of shape is unheard of. I only got it because

one of the biggest comic collectors, who had owned it for decades,

wanted to help me finish my set - incredibly nice of him!

My VF run of the first 4 years is now almost complete, but I am

still missing 8 issues from the 5th/last year. These would have

about the same impact on me as the "Last Four" would have on Ian -

I would greatly appreciate any help locating them and will obviously

pay extremely well.

m26_m.jpg

hkp, I just don't know what to say. Your books are about as impressive as any I've ever seen. I would never have thought they existed in the conditions you show, with the exception of file copies.

What percentage of books in your run are file copies?

The Startling 10 is from a friend who happened to have 2 copies. We tend to trade books to eachother that we normally wouldn't trade, knowing that it's going to good hands. thumbsup2.gif

It's a 4.0.

Insane MM mag.There was another lot of MM mags being shown on the 1935-40 boards that were just like yours. Is that who you bought it from or are you the guy who had them? Disgustingly nice condition copies. Here's more my speed.

wdcs3.jpg

> What percentage of books in your run are file copies?

Probably 50% or so. Fortunately, there were several sets of file

copies, but many of these were mid-grade and there was an entire

set that were missing interior pages. I've been assembling the best

possible run from what has been offered. The set I've been buying

over the past 6 months is by far the finest, much nicer than the

one that was offered at Sotheby's around 1994 and which I later

bought the bulk of. For comparison, here is the matching copy

from that set.

All credit for these books should go to the collector who took good

care of them for so many years, of course. I am humbly posting them

here because I believe that making pictures of the very best GA books

more readily available is a great way to help the hobby and get new

collectors interested. I sure wish scans like these would have been

easier to find when I was a teenager and a poor student; hopefully some

people out there will enjoy them as much as I've enjoyed the many

incredible scans posted in these threads.

---

ft88: WDCS 3 has the best cover in the entire run IMO - great book!

My own copy is a CGC 9.0 with moderate restoration, one of my very

favorite comics.

I've been posting my MM Mags profusely in just about every thread I

could get away with, but several other members also have great examples

(especially ecfanman, who has posted several high grade copies that I

am missing).

Edited by hkp