• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,416 posts in this topic

IMHO, the Daredevil cover is better. "Sock the Razzies" with the target heads of our usual trio of baddies AND there is that Mickey plush toy on the floor + the puck(is that what you'd call it) zinging up above the title head. Even though plenty is going on it is still quite clear. Good stuff all around. Thanks for sharing.

IMHO, the Daredevil cover is better. "Sock the Razzies" with the target heads of our usual trio of baddies AND there is that Mickey plush toy on the floor + the puck(is that what you'd call it) zinging up above the title head. Even though plenty is going on it is still quite clear. Good stuff all around. Thanks for sharing.

I agree with you. There is as much story in that Biro cover as there are in many a comic.

I agree. That WW 3 cover is something else. I don't have the WW Archives but if it illustrates a story inside I'd be curious to know what it's about. Plus the production guy went along with it and added the nice touch of tilting the 10 ¢ price. A very cool batch.

I agree. That WW 3 cover is something else. I don't have the WW Archives but if it illustrates a story inside I'd be curious to know what it's about. Plus the production guy went along with it and added the nice touch of tilting the 10 ¢ price. A very cool batch.

My assumption has been that the artist typically places the logo (in the form of a photostat) on the book and so would have been the one to do the tilting and to put the bubbles on top of the title. I would be happy to hear if someone original art expert were to enlighten us on further on this.

I pulled my DC Archive and I'll try to point out some of the highlights of the cover story.

p1. Large splash of WW tied to tree while two girls fight in the background.

p2. 2 college students accused of spying. Spy Chief escapes

p.3 Guard is found tied up.

p. 4 Amazonians dance to moon goddess to celebrate Diana's Day. Slave of spy chief un-handcuffed and directed to stowaway to Paradise Island.

p.5 Diana's "Christmas" sleigh pulled by wood nymphs.

p.6 WW ties up one girl then fights another.

p.7 One girl spanks another with a tennis racket. Amazonians prepare for "hunt" by dressing as doe suits.

p.8 Etta jumps on a giant kangaroo to help with the hunt. Must have been an slip-up as no one is tied up nor is there a cat fight.

p.9 WW and Etta each bag a "doe" and tie her up.

p.10 Does are hung on rack by rope tied to their wrist. Then tied up like pigs on a silver platter as if they will be served for a banquet.

p.11 Slave of spy chief ties up Etta, steals Hippolyta's girdle, and fights WW.

p.12 WW loses and is, let's say it together, "tied up."

p.13 WW is still tied to tree but manages to tear tree out of ground.

p.14 Etta and WW subdue and tie up spy chief slave

p.15 Japanese Navy tries to invade. Amazons swim under ship directing it under Steve Trevor's bomber which makes short work of it. Spy Chief and more slaves are caught and tied up.

Thank you Adam! You went to a lot of trouble there.

Those scenes with the girls dressing as does to go a-hunting sound familiar as I must have seen some of those panels reprinted somewhere. It still sounds like a scatter-brained story where the spy angle gets lost once we are on Amazon island and then pops back up and the ending seems like a quick wrap-up in two pages. Noone can ever say that GA stories are uneventful (Maybe we should send a copy of the WW archive to Bendis devil.gif).

Good point on the production angle that the artist would have chosen the placement of the price but I went ahead and mentioned production guys because before posting I checked the way in WW prices and company logos were put on and notice the various WW have different dress: one has a price and a company logo while the other has a combo price-company logo. Wouldn't it a lot of trouble to communicate to all artists the variations from month to month or even at a lower frequency? Unless, of course, the guys were working "on location" at the publisher. Was Peter?

Another production question: I was reading my run of Invaders tonight and it struck me that by the late 70s Roussos was coloring. This is an evolution from him doing some pencils early in his career to then primarily inking and then at the end coloring. Is this strange or simply a reflection of his decline in status as the industry evolved? Do you know of any other examples of such a career path?

Thank you Adam! You went to a lot of trouble there.

Those scenes with the girls dressing as does to go a-hunting sound familiar as I must have seen some of those panels reprinted somewhere. It still sounds like a scatter-brained story where the spy angle gets lost once we are on Amazon island and then pops back up and the ending seems like a quick wrap-up in two pages. Noone can ever say that GA stories are uneventful (Maybe we should send a copy of the WW archive to Bendis devil.gif).

Good point on the production angle that the artist would have chosen the placement of the price but I went ahead and mentioned production guys because before posting I checked the way in WW prices and company logos were put on and notice the various WW have different dress: one has a price and a company logo while the other has a combo price-company logo. Wouldn't it a lot of trouble to communicate to all artists the variations from month to month or even at a lower frequency? Unless, of course, the guys were working "on location" at the publisher. Was Peter?

Another production question: I was reading my run of Invaders tonight and it struck me that by the late 70s Roussos was coloring. This is an evolution from him doing some pencils early in his career to then primarily inking and then at the end coloring. Is this strange or simply a reflection of his decline in status as the industry evolved? Do you know of any other examples of such a career path?

With regards to pasting on of stats. There is inconsistency of shifts to new logo types across most publishers. This is could be sloppy production work or due to comic artists getting logos in advance. In general in publishing, the cover gets the most scrutiny and so often was done by someone who could pick up and deliver in person.

Re: Roussos. Murphy Anderson went into coloring after a much more significant career as penciller and inker than Roussos. Murphy's reason was to develop a steady business for his family (especially his son).

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a combination of factors. Roussos' inking style may not have been considered modern enough or he may have gotten tired of the eyestrain and physical demands of being hunched over the drawing table. Coloring may have been a very comfortable position to take that would allow him to ease toward retirement.

Here's a page showing the "doe"s tied up and then put on the platter, sans costume.

803183-WW3page.jpg

803183-WW3page.jpg.039d915276437851c16e5651b34675b6.jpg

Edited by adamstrange