• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,422 posts in this topic

Thanks, SS!

I'm going to have to look at these Yellowjackets a little more, they're the only books by a publisher (J. Levy), only 10 issue long series & probably the 1st Horror series according to Overstreet. I'm really liking the odd-ball hero books these days. cloud9.gif

hi.gif

Here's Ghostly Weird 124.....I've had it for quite a while, but pulled it out to show someone, and then figured I might as well post the scan. It is incredibly glossy, bright and structurally sound. I've debated on selling it over the years, but it will continue to stay in the collection. 1148233-ComicBook0688.JPG

1148233-ComicBook0688.JPG.9160cfefb82aa52ec472a311f3bc85d6.JPG

893applaud-thumb.gif Great copy. What are the markings for the Cosmic Aeroplane or is it chain of possession?

Edit: Asked the question too fast.

What do the markings mean then?

Edited by Scrooge

I believe that the books were used in an art class and those were panels for the students to copy.

The following is stolen from Matt Nelson's article:

COSMIC AEROPLANE - This collection surfaced for sale around early 1972, and was the first to become a pedigree. It was purchased by David Faggiola, and originated out of Salt Lake City, Utah. The collection was amassed by an art teacher who used the comics as demonstrations to students during the 1940's and 1950's. This is evident upon examination of most copies from the collection, as they have check marks and occasional notes next to the panels of art inside.

After few early raids on the collection by Bruce Hamilton, Gary Carter, and Dale Broadhurst the remaining books were sold to a local store in Salt Lake City called Cosmic Aeroplane Books, hence the pedigree name.

The overall grade of the Cosmic Aeroplane comics varied between a low of Very Good to a high of Very Fine, with many falling in the Fine grade. A few copies exhibit water damage and the overall page quality is a yellow to cream color. Despite this, the supple and clean nature of a Cosmic Aeroplane comic more than make up for the lower technical grade.

The collection numbered between 2,000 and 3,000. Many keys, such as Flash #1 and Marvel #1, were present in the collection. Even though the runs were spotty in some areas, they were consistent. The earliest books were from the 1930's, but the main period of accumulation was from 1945 into the early 1950's. There was reportedly only one Silver Age comic present in the collection: a Mint 99 Showcase #4, which lacked the characteristic check marks. This particular copy is featured on the cover of the Overstreet Grading Guide.

IDENTIFICATION-Cosmic Aeroplane copies are the easiest to identify. As mentioned before, multiple check marks are usually present throughout the books, as well as on the cover. On occasion, people have tried to erase the obtrusive pencil marks, as they can be unattractive to some collectors.

DESIRABILITY-Depending on grade, Cosmic Aeroplane copies usually bring 1.5x to 2x guide, but higher grades can bring as much as 3x guide.

Just picked this up on ebay from board member eccomic. The best part is it turns out to be the Cosmic Aeroplane copy cloud9.gif

1149554-cgc6001.jpg

Very nice book. I've been looking for a copy for a little while now.

Hi all...I have joined the dark side : Here's my first ever Golden age book! yay.gif

Just won it on eBay (hope everything will go well) 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I always had in mind that the first book that I would buy would be dated March 1944 since both my parents were born that month...(Ah! the mind of the collector insane.gif) I have always loved Mac Raboy's Art on the color pages of the Overstreet and this cover is a nice one. Only thing missing are Nazis! (maybe they are hidden inside...)

cap-marvel-jr-17.jpg

By the way it's a CGC 8.5 OW, the third best CGCed copy of that book cloud9.gif

I already posted this in the "this week in your collection" thread, but I have no concerns posting it again.

Hell, I may wait a week and put it in the Superman thread below.

I'm giddy like a schoolgirl up past her bedtime and high on pixie stix!

yay.gif

1150812-Superman17a.JPG

Awesome Superman #17 you got there. That issue sure doesn't come up for sale very often. Nice pickup.

No kidding! I thought that Supes 17 and 14 would be no challenge to find. After all, Superman was the #1 seller at that point. They were surprisingly difficult to get. I guess they're all buried in private collections???