• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,416 posts in this topic

Is strangling a skeleton an effective way of winning a fight? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Seriously, that's a real nice Hangman cover. Congrats!

I actually feel sorry for the skeleton, since he's getting overly abused on the cover. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Here are my five favorite acquisitions from the Chicago Con! I picked up a bunch more golden age, but these are the ones I keep pulling out of the box and enjoying over and over again. I'll post some of the others another night, and maybe put all the Timelys into a group shot.

marvel4.jpg

Marvel9.jpg

Marvel22.jpg

AllFlash1.jpg

Tarzan.jpg

Here are my five favorite acquisitions from the Chicago Con! I picked up a bunch more golden age, but these are the ones I keep pulling out of the box and enjoying over and over again. I'll post some of the others another night, and maybe put all the Timelys into a group shot.

marvel4.jpg

Marvel9.jpg

Two of my grails, tell us more about the grades, who you bought them from if you don't mind. I think I'm going to have to reside to the fact that I'm probably going to have to buy a Marvel Mytsery #9 that is restored because I don't think I want to wait for another 3 years before I get a shot at a real one. You have great taste in books. 893applaud-thumb.gif

They're nice and all, but you might want to focus on picking up copies in better condition next time! poke2.gif

Can I come over to your house to read some comics? I promise to wash my hands before I touch them.

WOW! thumbsup2.gif Great buy. I especially like the Marvel Mystery issues. I might try and buy one someday but I'd have to buy dumpster grade. Ha! I'm not poor but can't drop the kind of cash it would take for a high-grade Golden Age Marvel Mystery Comic.

Two of my grails, tell us more about the grades, who you bought them from if you don't mind. I think I'm going to have to reside to the fact that I'm probably going to have to buy a Marvel Mytsery #9 that is restored because I don't think I want to wait for another 3 years before I get a shot at a real one. You have great taste in books. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I bought the MM 4 from Richard Evans (Bedrock City). He is one of my closest friends in the hobby. The book was originally from his private collection. This copy was slabbed and then liberated. CGC graded it 9.0 (MR). Tied for the highest graded copy.

The MM 9 came from Matt Nelson (my closest bud in comics). It has been restored, but it looks nice and the price was right, so I bought it. I am not the fussy about work on high ticket books. I would rather have a nice looking copy of the book and a Porsche, than just the book, if you know what I mean.

The MM 22 came from Harley. It is unrestored and around a 6.5 or so.

The Tarzan also came from Harley.

Is that Tarzan a four color?

Single Series #20. Widely considered the Action #1 of Tarzan comic collectors. At one time it was the most sought after and valuable book on the market. I always loved it for the cover. It just reeks of the golden age!

They're nice and all, but you might want to focus on picking up copies in better condition next time! poke2.gif

good point, I'll try to do better next time..... grin.gif

Can I come over to your house to read some comics? I promise to wash my hands before I touch them.

sure. anytime you want

hail.gif

awesome books. Envious would be an understatement. Now, are these books you picked up pre-show or by previous arrangement? or did you just happen upon them while walking the show?

The MM 22 was pre-arranged.

The others I was shown at the show and made the deals. I hoped to find a 4 and a 9 at the show and was thrilled to find both, with the help of two buddies.

The Tarzan was just sitting in Harley's box and I scooped it up.

The All-Flash #1, was also pre-arranged.