• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,426 posts in this topic

whizflashr.jpg

hello all...

got a couple of goodies in today...the Flash 1 is courtesy of our own Adam (filter81)...great book...thanks adam!

the whiz #2 is courtesy of Marnin R (collectorsassemble.com)....great deal M...thanks!

rick

As usual Rick, your taste in comics and your ability to acquire incredible stuff is astonishing!!

893applaud-thumb.gif

As for cracking slabs, while I've freed 50+ books, in reality I've personally done it zero times.

Chicken. Bwaak! Bwaak! poke2.gif

Wow, that's pretty amazing that a cover so prominently featuring atomic bomb research would in fact have no atomic bomb related stories inside. I bet the Real Life Comics message board was furious about this.

As for cracking slabs, while I've freed 50+ books, in reality I've personally done it zero times. My buddies october and PedigreeMan (both of whom live very close by) come over for slab-cracking parties. I supply the beer and a constant stream of "Be careful! For the love of God, that's a Church book! Be careful!" comments, while they say "Oops!" every so often just to make me jump. Good times.

Yes, great times indeed. I can't think of anything more fun than cracking comics so valuable that a slip of the wrist would result in forfeiture of all my personal assets!

The dangers and thrilling adventures of comic collecting are often discarded by the ignorant feable minded mob! tongue.gif

But Wow... i would dream to be present (not daring to participate) at the cracking party of a GA 9.4 church book. I can imagine the feeling holding the freed book in your own hands for the first time cloud9.gif

Picked this up from Heritage yesterday. First time I've done the live phone bidding. I think I'll be doing that from now on for their sig auctions.

Wow58.jpg

Looks like it payed off. great looking book, and first time i have seen it. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Wow58.jpg

What a lovely image of Mary Marvel -- the Egyptian headress is a particularly pleasing touch. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Picked this up from Heritage yesterday. First time I've done the live phone bidding. I think I'll be doing that from now on for their sig auctions.

My blood pressure always goes up 20 points when I bid live or by phone. crazy.gif

Wow58.jpg

What a lovely image of Mary Marvel -- the Egyptian headress is a particularly pleasing touch. 893applaud-thumb.gif

My blood pressure always goes up 20 points when I bid live or by phone. crazy.gif

I stopped attending Sotheby's and Christies auctions (when they still had comic auctions) because my net worth dropped by 20 % each time I went to one...

crazy.gif

Wow58.jpg

I stopped attending Sotheby's and Christies auctions (when they still had comic auctions) because my net worth dropped by 20 % each time I went to one...

crazy.gif

my guess is that's WHY they stopped having comic auctions; why bother if Ciorac ain't gonna be there?

my blood pressure gets going on the 'net sniping as well. it is a rush when the last-second hunt is on for a g.a. funny book!!!!!

and tho' not in the least a fawcett guy, that is a GORGEOUS book. congrats, sir.

Wow58.jpg

crazy.gif

my guess is that's WHY they stopped having comic auctions; why bother if Ciorac ain't gonna be there?

Good point Billy, I hadn't thought about it that way! thumbsup2.gif

SensationComics80-Aug1948.jpg

Beautiful!!! And, another "int" book!

Yeah, whats the deal with "int" anyway?

link

Blech! Look at that ugly miswrap. tongue.gif

J/K poke2.gif That's a gorgeous copy! Congrats! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I've noticed that most Batman #3s have that miswrap. Nice book Showcase, are you going to get it CGCed?

I think Batman 3 was designed to have a white strip along the front cover / spine area...virtually every copy I have seen including a CGC graded 9.0 on Metro's website presently looks exactly like this one...either that or they all do have a miswrap, which makes them appear normal when compared to each other. tongue.gif

I am going to send this book to CGC, as I do with all of my raw purchases.

Even though this is not a key, I am excited about owning it ( and keeping it ) due to the rarity of finding a high grade unrestored low number Batman raw...and with a black cover too!