• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,422 posts in this topic

Ok, so here's a book from 1937 I picked up recently, on a lark, and I don't know anything about it. It's in the Gerber guide (scarcity 7) but it's not in Overstreet (at least, I can't find it). The interior is a series of photographs with accompanying text describing various mysteries, and you the reader are supposed to solve them (with the text solutions in the back).

It's a tiny bit larger than a normal comic, and the cover paper is sort of a cardboard stock, with no gloss.

The back cover shows an ad for Ace Comics #2, which furthers the comic connection (along with the Gerber listing).

How common is this? Does anyone else have a copy?

picturecrimes1.jpg

picturecrimes1bk.jpg

Hi, All,

I posted last year how I was getting into Golden Age books and was looking for more Flash Comics. (Hawkman is my fav.) Anyway, I'm happy to say that I have three now, two (91 and 33) are pretty beat but issue 29 that I just bought is great. I'm happy with them and will try to post scans ASAP. Can't wait to share them with everyone. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Interesting item, but doesn't sound like a comic.

Understandable that it's not in Overstreet - I wonder why Gerber included it.

Is it closer to being GA comic sized or Magazine sized?

Interesting item, but doesn't sound like a comic.

Understandable that it's not in Overstreet - I wonder why Gerber included it.

Is it closer to being GA comic sized or Magazine sized?

It's basically GA comic size, maybe an eighth of an inch taller. If you didn't see the interior, you'd say it was a comic. In the Gerber guide it's certainly indistinguishable from its peers.

Just in from Weird Paper, kudos.

Ditto...gotta give a shout out to Roger for some new additions to the Cole collection!! thumbsup2.gif

susp7.jpg

susp10.jpg

Thanks, Mike. Those Suspenses are great books with really unusual content. It was fun to (briefly) have them.

Those are great Doc! Roger's batch is sensational, and he is a top flight guy.

Aww shucks... cloud9.gif

... feelin' the love. Right back atcha, Bill.

Thanks Rog! And I can't wait to see the batch you are sending me!!! You gotta get them in the mail soon or I will pass out from anxiety... insane.gif

Those are great Doc! Roger's batch is sensational, and he is a top flight guy.

Aww shucks... cloud9.gif

... feelin' the love. Right back atcha, Bill.

Thanks Rog! And I can't wait to see the batch you are sending me!!! You gotta get them in the mail soon or I will pass out from anxiety... insane.gif

Teaser...

1600807-teaser.jpg

1600807-teaser.jpg.34c5f764a854ae8d0f3d6045a72bf7f6.jpg

Edited by Weird Paper

As promised, here are my Flash Comics. I'm hoping to add more this year. I was lucky and picked up #91 for next to nothing (my first Golden Age book). Granted, a cover chunk is gone and the cover is detached. But, the book is complete. I bought #33 from Metropolis Comics in summer 2006. Lots of damage to the spine and top. It didn't cost a lot and I love the cover. I just bought #29 from James Payette. His grading--as everyone has written--is amazing. There are some nicks to the spine and a small piece of tape towards the top but overwise it is great. I couldn't be happier with #29 and Payette. I love this issue because it is the first time both Hawks are on a cover, and it is the first appearance of the Ghost Patrol.

FC_91

FC_33

FC_29