• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,425 posts in this topic

Came back from WonderCon to this happy comic waiting for me, but I've had the plague since then! Too sick to scan even, until now...

Jungle11.jpg

As soon as my Mystery Men #9 comes back from Mr. Nelson with its cover repaired, I'll have reached the 50% mark on my Gerber Photo Journal cover cover collection. yay.gif

What a cover! That closer dinosaur looks positively rabid - or he's been gargling with blood again 893whatthe.gif That's some classic stuff...

I think Pocket 1 and Speed 14 seem to be the most available. But try to find one 10 years ago when they guided for pennies....

I remember about 10 years ago Terry of Terry's Comics had a low grade set of Pocket 1-4 - They were FR/G to GD and he wanted $50-$70 apiece for them - which seemed like a lot back then, but I'm guessing he had little trouble moving them.

SLAB-MANIA!

Strange Terrors 2. Not just a slab, but a pedigree!

The grade is pulled down by some staple rust.

1690490-strangeterrorslabel.jpg

Lots of slab schmutz, especially on the red curtain. This is the first time I've scanned a slab. What's better if it doesn't fit in the scanner bed? Tilt it with one end against the glass or uniformly distant from the glass?

1690490-strangeterrors.jpg

Very unusual cover! The signature is cut off. C. Meyerblecks? Something like that. Someone here probably knows.

Jack

SLAB-MANIA!

Strange Terrors 2. Not just a slab, but a pedigree!

The grade is pulled down by some staple rust.

1690490-strangeterrorslabel.jpg

Lots of slab schmutz, especially on the red curtain. This is the first time I've scanned a slab. What's better if it doesn't fit in the scanner bed? Tilt it with one end against the glass or uniformly distant from the glass?

1690490-strangeterrors.jpg

Very unusual cover! The signature is cut off. C. Meyerblecks? Something like that. Someone here probably knows.

Jack

Meyerrick, IIRC

Jack

Ask October. He went through a "this guy" period. He'd know.

Thanks. He reads this subject, right?

Jack

Jack

Ask October. He went through a "this guy" period. He'd know.

Thanks. He reads this subject, right?

Jack

Yep, George Meyerriecks. He also did the painted covers to Strange Terrors 3 and 5.

strangeterrors3-1.jpg

strangeterrors5-1.jpg

Very unusual cover! The signature is cut off. C. Meyerblecks? ...

Yep, George Meyerriecks. He also did the painted covers to Strange Terrors 3 and 5.

Thanks! Great, moody covers. Was he a pulp artist? Now that I see the name, I remember previous mentions.

Jack

strangeterrors3-1.jpg

strangeterrors5-1.jpg

Thanks! Great, moody covers. Was he a pulp artist? Now that I see the name, I remember previous mentions.

Jack

I don't think so. He was too young for that and went straight to paperback covers. Somewhere online it shows he was born in 1920 and died in 1990. Only did those St John covers and then illustrated books and other freelance jobs.

"Relatively tame in comparison to many of their more horrific contemporaries, both Strange Terrors and Weird Horrors frequently featured covers by illustrator George Meyerriecks and interior art by the likes of Lou Cameron, John Belfi, Bob Brown, Gus Ricca and an occasional Kubert appearance."

Archer St. John by Ken Quattro