• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,430 posts in this topic

Doc Savage rocks! :headbang:

I really like the Fawcette covers on thos Avon sci-fi books. There is one that is on my mini-grail list. I had a copy 15 years ago and sold it like a doofus. (Out of This World 1 - June 1950)

Like the one I just landed at Heritage last night... :)

584157.jpg

I really like the Fawcette covers on thos Avon sci-fi books. There is one that is on my mini-grail list. I had a copy 15 years ago and sold it like a doofus. (Out of This World 1 - June 1950)

584157.jpg

:o(worship):cloud9:

:frustrated:

584157.jpg

Twas a "mini-grail" of mine also... :tonofbricks:

584157.jpg

All Hail the "mini-grail"! (worship)

584157.jpg

Nice pick up! :applause:

I was watching that one, but I've got other things on my radar at the moment. Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever seen one of the first printings that does not have the large transfer stain on the FC? Obviously it's a production defect, but I'm just wondering if any copies escaped it - I've never seen one without it.

Oh yeah and.... ALL HAIL CROM!!!

Crom.jpg

584157.jpg

Nice Book! :headbang:

Yes, unusual for me to have Golden Age books to post -- if EC "New Direction" books qualify as Golden Age. Atomic/Interregnum, I suppose, but this is the best place for them. They don't pack the punch of the classic EC horror and science fiction titles, but they're fun reads with first-rate artwork, and they're way more affordable. Here are several that I just received.

This is my favorite of the bunch because it's so bizarre. Odd to see Kamen drawing so straight-laced.

41420-Psychoasmall.jpg

This one's interesting because it's one of the few New Direction books that squeaked in before the Comics Code.

41421-Extra1small.jpg

Probably the most impressive cover of the bunch -- George Evans, of course.

41422-Acessmall.jpg

You expect that creepy little girl to be up to no good, right? Nah, it's post-code.

41423-Impact3small.jpg

Fine Jack Davis war cover. Marie Severin colors?

41424-Impact4small.jpg

Jack

Edited by selegue

I really like aerial covers, especially all of the Aces High covers :)

Nice pick ups (thumbs u

Thanks.

I was afraid I had shocked the forum into stunned silence! Either that or everyone's en route to San Diego.

Jack

I really like aerial covers, especially all of the Aces High covers :)

Nice pick ups (thumbs u

Thanks.

I was afraid I had shocked the forum into stunned silence! Either that or everyone's en route to San Diego.

Jack

It has been a little quiet lately...

This'll liven the joint up. (Yeah, right.)

Airboy Vol 6 # 7 from August 1949 featuring "The Chemical Giant", a typical mad scientist story with elements of King Kong and "The Amazing Colossal Man/ Attack of the Fifty-Foot Woman" -- pretty remarkable since those movies were almost a decade later! Was there something else in popular entertainment in 1949 about people grown to giant size?

Still, with two crazy chemists (check out the classic panel), a red-headed damsel in distress and Airboy's mouse sidekick named Cheesie (What th...? I never knew about him), the story has redeeming features. Plus the book includes a Heap story, a tale of the Catiline Revolt, and much more!

The color bleed-through looks worse in the cover scan than in real life. A nice low- to mid-grade copy, beat enough to throw on the scanner but solid enough to stay in one piece.

Jack

41482-Airboy6_7.jpg

41481-airb.jpg

Edited by selegue

This'll liven the joint up. (Yeah, right.)

Airboy Vol 6 # 7 from August 1949 featuring "The Chemical Giant", a typical mad scientist story with elements of King Kong and "The Amazing Colossal Man/ Attack of the Fifty-Foot Woman" -- pretty remarkable since those movies were almost a decade later! Was there something else in popular entertainment in 1949 about people grown to giant size?

Still, with two crazy chemists (check out the classic panel), a red-headed damsel in distress and Airboy's mouse sidekick named Cheesie (What th...? I never knew about him), the story has redeeming features. Plus the book includes a Heap story, a tale of the Catiline Revolt, and much more!

The color bleed-through looks worse in the cover scan than in real life. A nice low- to mid-grade copy, beat enough to throw on the scanner but solid enough to stay in one piece.

Jack

41482-Airboy6_7.jpg

41481-airb.jpg

That's a really neat book! :applause:

i can't say anything bad about airboy either. and today i got a great surprise. here's a book that just arrived; i loved it thru the mylar. then i took it out for a spin, and was delighted to see the tell-tale cosmic aeroplane markings. it was not advertised as such. my other one is entombed, so i'm thrilled to have one to look through.

air1.jpg

air2.jpg