• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,445 posts in this topic

Multiples of guide... very pricey... you're just trying to scare me away, right?

Jack

No man, it's not like that! It's just that they're very, very pricey books.

Pricey, pricey, pricey.

I'm not sure I can emphasize this point enough. (shrug) Pricey.

Except for Speed Comics 1. The prices on that one just dropped, right?

Jack

some "Guide" you are!

I just got a box of *CHOKE* almost 90 comics ...

Here are some of my favorites from the stack.

How did I forget my favorite one?

It was easy -- it's oversized so it wasn't in the stack with the others.

Buck Rogers 2 from Famous Funnies/ Eastern Color in July 1941.

The notorious "Is that an Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator or are you just glad to see me?" cover by Calkins! Yeah, I know it's a wreck, but I won it for the opening bid. If I were into that sort of thing, I wonder whether it would be a candidate for restoration. Probably not enough demand to justify the cost.

Jack

41731-buck.jpg

Cool, you got one! :applause:

I wouldn't bother with resto - it wouldn't be worth it for this book. You can occasionlly find a decent VG for well under guide on ebay. I would just upgrade it when you get the chance.

I will say though that, although it still probably wouldn't be worth it, a simple pressing would probably greatly improve the fc eye appeal by removing the spine roll so that the missing pieces on the spine would be shifted to the bc.

I just got a box of *CHOKE* almost 90 comics ...

Here are some of my favorites from the stack.

How did I forget my favorite one?

It was easy -- it's oversized so it wasn't in the stack with the others.

Buck Rogers 2 from Famous Funnies/ Eastern Color in July 1941.

The notorious "Is that an Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator or are you just glad to see me?" cover by Calkins! Yeah, I know it's a wreck, but I won it for the opening bid. If I were into that sort of thing, I wonder whether it would be a candidate for restoration. Probably not enough demand to justify the cost.

Jack

41731-buck.jpg

Cool, you got one! :applause:

Thanks!

I wouldn't bother with resto - it wouldn't be worth it for this book. You can occasionlly find a decent VG for well under guide on ebay. I would just upgrade it when you get the chance.

Upgrade to what? This is the pinnacle (for me)!

I will say though that, although it still probably wouldn't be worth it, a simple pressing would probably greatly improve the fc eye appeal by removing the spine roll so that the missing pieces on the spine would be shifted to the bc.

I'm pretty sure my wife has a steam iron up in the attic.

Seriously, I was just thinking out loud about restoration. Not likely to do it since it's only my eye that it has to appeal to, and it already does.

Jack

Yet another SD Con pickup, this one also from MrBedrock - strict grading, great price, and great pages (I think the book presents very well!). Origin of Bulletgirl, too:

100_2268.jpg

Very nice hitler cover...getting whupped.....what's not to love.

Yet another SD Con pickup, this one also from MrBedrock - strict grading, great price, and great pages (I think the book presents very well!). Origin of Bulletgirl, too:

100_2268.jpg

Nice book that gets me to wondering... hm ...I really am liking the diagonal half&half cover format that I have been seeing quite often... :cloud9:..Was there ever a list that specifies all the GA books using this format...kinda like a Marvel picture frame list???...

Seems like this could end up being another expensive collecting tangent I'm heading for.. :pullhair:

100_2268.jpg

You must have got that one early, because it looks like a book I would buy. Very nice! What is the grade?

Ken

I really am liking the diagonal half&half cover format

Me too ArAich- and panel covers as well!

You must have got that one early, because it looks like a book I would buy. Very nice! What is the grade?

Yup, one of my early buys at the Con. It has some upper spine wear/flaking and also a 1/4" horizontal tear midway down the right cover edge, o/w it is really sharp (off-white to white pages). Richard had it at a strictly graded Fine+.

I'll buy books like this all day long - thanks to MrBedrock, I just love this book :banana:

Wow! :o

Great eye appeal on that copy!

Seeing that Church copy really push me over the edge as I was thinking about this book for the last 2-3 days. I'd be surpised if the 9.4 does not sell, too fricking gorgeous (even at the asking price). Only 2 9.0 copies then the next best copy is a 5.5. That kind of census grade gap is pretty common for some of these Spectre More Fun's for some reason.

I just placed a bid on ebay, and I am thrilled to death! :banana: I placed a bid of $361.01 on this

Action Comics #158 CGC 5.5 and won it by 1 cent!

action158-1.jpg

Congratulations.

I've won some auctions on eBay by 1¢.

I've also lost some by the same amount. doh!

Too cool to pass up on:

MF65metro.jpg

great book...it was the last MF I needed...I thought Metro sold this book at the con?...I wanted it, but I could have sworn I was informed it was gone...

bad for me, good for you!

rick

I am quite thrilled to have picked this book up in San Diego from Ted at Superworld. A very difficult issue that I have been looking for in nice shape. The reds are much brighter in person.

Ken

slambang3.jpg