• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,425 posts in this topic

SuperMan98CGC92.jpg

NIce cover.

These books are just plain incredible. It is amazing seeing Batman's and Superman's from this time period in such high grade. They are so hard to find! (worship)

I agree...I need to yell at Zaid some more for passing on this one :baiting:

gator

SuperMan98CGC92.jpg

SuperMan104CGC92.jpg

Beautiful comics, multicynic. :applause:

If i was starting a collection today, I think I'd concentrate on DCs (and Dells) from that time period.

They hold a lot of nostalgic appeal to me, they're still somewhat affordable, and it would be a fun challenge to try to assemble a collection all in high grade.

One more from a great batch of beaters that I got today, then I've got to stop!

(Others are on Silver Age or Short Bus.)

Dale Evans Comics 9, Feb-50, a fairly uncommon book as far as I know, so I was pleased to get it for a good price.

Undistinguished and rather muddy photo cover.

50211-DaleEvans9.jpg

The artwork on the Dale Evans stories, credited to Jim McArdle (who?) at GCD, is too blocky and crude for me. Fortunately the spine is just strong enough (what's the worst that can happen, lower it from good- to fair+?) to scan a page of the great Sierra Smith story by Alex Toth!

50212-DaleEvans9Sierra.jpg

I guess my posts the last couple of days are my answers to both "Why Do You Collect What You Collect?" and "Why is it so difficult to maintain Focus?"

Jack

"maintain" focus?

One more from a great batch of beaters that I got today, then I've got to stop!

(Others are on Silver Age or Short Bus.)

Dale Evans Comics 9, Feb-50, a fairly uncommon book as far as I know, so I was pleased to get it for a good price.

Undistinguished and rather muddy photo cover.

50211-DaleEvans9.jpg

The artwork on the Dale Evans stories, credited to Jim McArdle (who?) at GCD, is too blocky and crude for me. Fortunately the spine is just strong enough (what's the worst that can happen, lower it from good- to fair+?) to scan a page of the great Sierra Smith story by Alex Toth!

50212-DaleEvans9Sierra.jpg

I guess my posts the last couple of days are my answers to both "Why Do You Collect What You Collect?" and "Why is it so difficult to maintain Focus?"

Jack

"maintain" focus?

Where's the fun in maintaining focus (shrug) Nice buy, Jack. Some wonderful Toth artwork there :applause:

Just arrived today from Marnin. Detroit Trolley copy of a cool, offbeat WWII Axis cover.

palooka.jpg

Yikes! Look what Bill did to me for missing his cool Joe Palooka cover sandwiched in the middle of all those amazing Superman books! Tough to give it a thumbs-up in my condition ('til I'm restored).

50216-thumbsup2.jpg

Hitler, Tojo, Mussolini, plus Spike Jones (and Walt Disney) song reference to boot! I've never seen this cover. I didn't even know that Joe had a little Chinese (?) sidekick named Yoo-Hoo!

Thanks for the pointer.

Jack

ouch

Just arrived today from Marnin. Detroit Trolley copy of a cool, offbeat WWII Axis cover.

palooka.jpg

Yikes! Look what Bill did to me for missing his cool Joe Palooka cover sandwiched in the middle of all those amazing Superman books! Tough to give it a thumbs-up in my condition ('til I'm restored).

50216-thumbsup2.jpg

Hitler, Tojo, Mussolini, plus Spike Jones (and Walt Disney) song reference to boot! I've never seen this cover. I didn't even know that Joe had a little Chinese (?) sidekick named Yoo-Hoo!

Thanks for the pointer.

Jack

ouch

You are welcome Jack. Hope the thumb heals quickly.

This fun book also sports the first Vic Jordan, with lots of lovely Mata Hari types in the opening story.

palooka.jpg

This fun book also sports the first Vic Jordan, with lots of lovely Mata Hari types in the opening story.

PS

Also Sparky Watts by Boody Rogers! Those are a hoot!

The superhero who beat Fantastic Four's cosmic-ray origin by decades, and had the powers of much of the Justice League (but no costume).

If you (or anyone) have any scannable reader copies of the Sparky Watts run, they'd be fun to see.

Jack