• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,421 posts in this topic

...These just arrived today from House of Comics:

I wonder whether Adler was involved in all these experiments.

OK, I'm just mumbling to myself in the corner, but here's another cover with the same technique from Oct 1953 by Murphy Anderson. Phantom Stranger 4 is Feb-Mar 1953 by Carmine Infantino. Maybe the technique was more common than I think but I'm just noticing it here.

57674-704_4_037.jpg

Jack

Jack,

I notice that the original art for Mars has a note that the engraver suplied the blue ink job. Mars was supposed to be invisible in the story and usually apeared as that ghostly image. I have noticed that Powell used that technique a lot. I think he probably asked for blue or green for some or his horror/ghost stories.

bb

2349229157_d964669e50_b.jpg

Thanks!

GCD:

Planet Comics #24

1940 Series - Fiction House, May 1943

["Mars, the outlaw god, forever schemes to plunge..."]

(Sequence 1 - Story , 10 pages )

Feature Story: Mars, God of War

Credits:

? [as Ross Gallun] (-script), Joe Doolin (Pencils), Joe Doolin (Inks), ? (Colors), ? (Letters).

A full decade before the covers I was asking about.

Did you mean Doolin, is the GCD credit wrong, or were you just comparing to Powell's work?

Does anyone have a scan of the published page?

Do you own the original page or just scavenged it from Heritage?

Jack

Do I ask too many questions?

Jack,

I think Doolin was responsible for the Mars art but I was also thinking of examples where Powell had used the same technique. I have a True Sports issue where Powell used the technique and it was probably also used for the Shadow. Examples of Doolin (I think) and Powell work below. The original art was scavenged from Heritage by someone and posted on Goldenagecomics.UK.

bb

2471791676_cd9e7eb27e_o.jpg

2470968369_a22312489d_o.jpg

[ 2349229157_d964669e50_b.jpg

Thanks!

GCD:

Planet Comics #24

1940 Series - Fiction House, May 1943

["Mars, the outlaw god, forever schemes to plunge..."]

(Sequence 1 - Story , 10 pages )

Feature Story: Mars, God of War

Credits:

? [as Ross Gallun] (-script), Joe Doolin (Pencils), Joe Doolin (Inks), ? (Colors), ? (Letters).

A full decade before the covers I was asking about.

Did you mean Doolin, is the GCD credit wrong, or were you just comparing to Powell's work?

Does anyone have a scan of the published page?

Jack

Do I ask too many questions?

Jack,

I also found that I have issue 24 and below is posted a scan as requested.

bb

2471186059_21b1c8e8a5_b.jpg

Jack,

I also found that I have issue 24 and below is posted a scan as requested.

bb

2471186059_21b1c8e8a5_b.jpg

Thanks!

Very fun page -- the odd glassware scattered around, the goofy aliens, the wave of hate.

Jack

also getting a familiar tingle. 'scuse me

A long time passed to finally aquire the following book...alas...I may be returning it as I don't agree with the grade.... :cry:

Doc Savage vol. 2 #7 Classic Devil cover "D" copy...

docsavage7vol2.jpg

A long time passed to finally aquire the following book...alas...I may be returning it as I don't agree with the grade.... :cry:

Doc Savage vol. 2 #7 Classic Devil cover "D" copy...

docsavage7vol2.jpg

great looking book, shame about the tear :sorry:

I would like to thank Rick (Gator) for these top tier GA books that have been on my want list for a long time... FUNNY PAGES 35 (6.0 with WHITE pages!), and SILVER STREAK's #1 and 7. (the Doc Death pulp was thrown in to round out the photo).

It was absolutely generous of Rick to part with these books, and rest assured, they have found a good home!! :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

In fact, I think I'm going to gaze upon them right now...

Thanks again Gator!! :headbang:

rickbooksgrouppost.jpg

Two RARE #1's... I am obsessed with these two books (villain covers)...

ss1anddrdeath1post.jpg

I would like to thank Rick (Gator) for these top tier GA books that have been on my want list for a long time... FUNNY PAGES 35 (6.0 with WHITE pages!), and SILVER STREAK's #1 and 7. (the Doc Death pulp was thrown in to round out the photo).

It was absolutely generous of Rick to part with these books, and rest assured, they have found a good home!! :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

In fact, I think I'm going to gaze upon them right now...

Thanks again Gator!! :headbang:

rickbooksgrouppost.jpg

Two RARE #1's... I am obsessed with these two books (villain covers)...

ss1anddrdeath1post.jpg

well, you guys saw what I got out of the deal, so I thank you as well, ryan!

Amazing. It is like Ryan can print money (or something better than money). hm

Amazing. It is like Ryan can print money (or something better than money). hm

lol well, I'm glad a childhood of tracing old Timely reprints is paying off at long last!

My 5 year old daughter is quite the artist.

Can I interest someone in trading me old comics for one of her pictures? lol

drawing.jpg

drawing2.jpg

I thought little girls were supposed to be drawing butterflys and unicorns. hm

Maybe I should stop reading EC Comics to her at bedtime. (shrug)

My 5 year old daughter is quite the artist.

Can I interest someone in trading me old comics for one of her pictures? lol

drawing.jpg

drawing2.jpg

I thought little girls were supposed to be drawing butterflys and unicorns. hm

Maybe I should stop reading EC Comics to her at bedtime. (shrug)

lol yes, I do see a bit of "Ghastly" Graham Ingles in her work!!

well, in fairness to ryan, I paid him for the commissions, and he simply bought books from me that I knew he wanted with some of those proceeds (oh, he owes me a LOT more $'s, I am nice, but not THAT nice :insane: ).... I just meant we "both" got what we wanted (thumbs u

well, in fairness to ryan, I paid him for the commissions, and he simply bought books from me that I knew he wanted with some of those proceeds (oh, he owes me a LOT more $'s, I am nice, but not THAT nice :insane: ).... I just meant we "both" got what we wanted (thumbs u

Thats reminds me Rick, I ice-packed up my spleen, and Fed Ex just picked it up, so that should be there in about three days (I sent it economy)! (thumbs u

Thats reminds me Rick, I ice-packed up my spleen, and Fed Ex just picked it up, so that should be there in about three days (I sent it economy)! (thumbs u

doh! I thought you were overnighting....

Send him a spleen and he still wants a kidney.... doh!

:baiting:

Send him a spleen and he still wants a kidney.... doh!

:baiting:

lol

those went out last friday...