• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,416 posts in this topic

This one doesn't really fit anywhere, but I couldn't have been happier with this pickup so I had to post it. It is a magazine, not comic related. I had been looking for this magazine since I saw someone selling a cover replica a year or so back. It came up on eBay. Usually, Screen Guides don't go for much, but a 1939 magazine with a Gone With the Wind cover had me worried it might have a few people going for it. I just figured I'd pay whatever the market price was so I put in a $250 bid. Got it for $20.

It arrived. It is tabloid size and in beautiful shape.

z-ScreenGuideNov1939.jpg

Just came in from stage*handz, inspired by CapFreak's #11, and Dang, those Schomburg covers...!

3222099294_8c0ab9317b_b.jpg

Great Book Mike!

Cool Background and a Black Cat app!

Death Germs in a flask! I want some! That is a great cover for those of us that are microbiologically inclined.

bb

Just came in from stage*handz, inspired by CapFreak's #11, and Dang, those Schomburg covers...!

3222099294_8c0ab9317b_b.jpg

Ha! Death Germs. I love it. Don't remember seeing that book before. Very cool. And as CapFreak intimated, anything with a Black Cat appearance is :luhv:

This one doesn't really fit anywhere, but I couldn't have been happier with this pickup so I had to post it. It is a magazine, not comic related. I had been looking for this magazine since I saw someone selling a cover replica a year or so back. It came up on eBay. Usually, Screen Guides don't go for much, but a 1939 magazine with a Gone With the Wind cover had me worried it might have a few people going for it. I just figured I'd pay whatever the market price was so I put in a $250 bid. Got it for $20.

z-ScreenGuideNov1939.jpg

Awesome pick-up...and very inspiring!

I am going o be playing in a 300+ person charity poker tournament today to benefit ALS research.

The top three finishers get WSOP entries. So now I'll be thinking of Clark. Thanks Pokerkid! (thumbs u

z-ScreenGuideNov1939.jpg

Great pick up, congrats! Awesome cover, amazing shape & cheap as dirt. perfect!

z-ScreenGuideNov1939.jpg

I am going o be playing in a 300+ person charity poker tournament today to benefit ALS research.

The top three finishers get WSOP entries. So now I'll be thinking of Clark. Thanks Pokerkid! (thumbs u

can you beat 18th???

z-ScreenGuideNov1939.jpg

Good luck Richard! :wishluck:

Good luck to you. I've played in five events - six counting the free media event, which is fun but doesn't much resemble any other WSOP event - and oddly the two main events were the least fun of the bunch. (Had I made it into the money, I might feel differently.)

If you love to play and don't happen to win a seat, it is worth buying into one of the cheap - $1,500-$2,500 - events once for the experience. My first tournament there was a limit hold 'em tourney. Despite 1,200 people in the tourney, Johnny Chan, Phil Ivey, and John D'Agostino along with a couple other name players who show up regularly on TV, but their names are slipping my mind at the moment, were at the table with me. And, oddly enough, during a break, Doyle Brunson apparently got turned around, took my seat and was playing with my chips.

My friends were calling back home during the tournament and sending out e-mail updates on what was going on. It was over the top but a blast. I busted out shortly before the money (I'll spare you a whiny bad beat story), but had one of the best times I have ever had.

And, oddly enough, during a break, Doyle Brunson apparently got turned around, took my seat and was playing with my chips.

Did he at least add to your stack?

Nope, he was just fumbling with the chips during a break, he didn't play any hands. And he was gone before I got back from break, but people at the table were talking like the Pope had just dropped by.

One of the great things about the WSOP is getting to talk with everyone. I got to have good conversations with James Woods, Greg Raymer and, best of all, Penn Jillette (with Penn, it is less of a conversation and more of smiling while he has a very loud conversation with the room. Good natured and always amusing). And you can meet or at least see pretty much any poker player or poker playing celebrity you would like. It is very casual and fun.

The highlight was sitting at the table with Phil Ivey on my right and Robert Williamson III at the the table next to us. They were going back and forth trying to make a $50,000 wager on who would win more money. Somehow Ivey starts bragging about how he is one of the three best Ms. Pac-Man players in the world and Williamson is giving him about his golf game. They were going at each other for more than an hour. Had very little to do with poker, but was some of the funniest stuff I had heard at the table in a long time.

somebody pm me a sales price on a sure-fire 2, and i'll post a little group shot for y'all.

surefire4.jpg

one is enough, thank you :baiting:

well, if you're going to be that way about it....

denver.jpg