• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,425 posts in this topic

A great batch of books from ciorac, some board sales, some ebay!

Amazing Adventures 5 with a classic Ziff-Davis painted cover -- but who painted it? Could it be Murphy Anderson, who drew the first story? Al Anderson?

AmazingAdventures5.jpg

(worship)My fav is the Amazing!

That's because you're scared of the Wasp Women and the Amazon Women!

Certainly the nicest grade of the three -- the middle guy's grimace, his pal's pointy bra and those goony aliens all crack me up!

Thanks,

Jack

Space Busters 1. Yes, I know, it's too beat up to show off, but who can resist a Space Amazons painted cover by Norm Saunders?

SpaceBusters1.jpg

My fave is the Space Busters # 1. It's a really nice cover ... normally :baiting:

Of course, I am biased as it is a Month book. Seems to me Jack you've got quite a few of those (thumbs u

Great pick-ups one and all :applause:

76484.jpg.015fae9120d8a777cbcf51847b678a7a.jpg

Well then,.....let's just change the subject. ;)

Two newest additions to the Fuelcave:

whirlwind1.jpg

whirlwind3.jpg

Gerber 8 & 9, respectively. :cloud9:

:applause:

(I am officailly jealous of the #3. Just for the record.)

A great batch of books from ciorac, some board sales, some ebay!

Amazing Adventures 5 with a classic Ziff-Davis painted cover -- but who painted it? Could it be Murphy Anderson, who drew the first story? Al Anderson?

AmazingAdventures5.jpg

That's because you're scared of the Wasp Women and the Amazon Women!

Certainly the nicest grade of the three -- the middle guy's grimace, his pal's pointy bra and those goony aliens all crack me up!

Thanks,

Jack

Pointy bra... hm .I drove out to an auction preview in Long Island today...and this nice man kept talking to me about comics...(I was trying to count pages)...I don't know where this came from, maybe I mentioned the planets...and he says, you DO know what Headlights mean, right?

I didn't even blush, I said yes!

See how useful this board is:) I passed a quiz!;)

What's the art like in these comics, Fuel? I may never see one in person, and I'm curious if there are any well known GA artists, or interesting stories and art.

I notice the cover to #3 is by Bert Whitman... that name sounds very familiar. hm

I've only had a chance to thumb through #1, but the artwork is pretty crude with the exception of the last or next to last story. It's a funny character piece which made me think a little of early Star Comics funny character type stories. I'll have to review and get back to you this weekend.

Bert Whitman was active with Fox, Fawcett & Helnit (Green Hornet Comics). He's also noted as doing 3 pages in Timely's Kid's Comics (all from GCD artist search). (thumbs u

Picked this up from another forumite.

OSPG claims this book is one of the rarest DC comics. Of course, Gerber only assigns it a "7" on his scarcity rating. Who is correct?

DangerTrail3_CGCVG45.jpg

Nice book, Mark!

Gerber has a few instances where, I have found, not all books have the same scarcity index. Superworld Comics #3 is much tougher than a #1 or #2. Golden Ag Phantom Stranger #5 is much tougher than the surrounding issues. Ect. (thumbs u

Picked this up from another forumite.

OSPG claims this book is one of the rarest DC comics. Of course, Gerber only assigns it a "7" on his scarcity rating. Who is correct?

DangerTrail3_CGCVG45.jpg

They probably are both overestimating the scarcity a little. In an early CBM, Duncan McAlpine did a "survey" about the rarest GA books. This one came in somewhere in the 20s IIRC, approximating something like 20 or less in existence. Since then, they've come out of the woodwork and I'd guess I've seen three dozen copies over the past 15 years or so. It's hard to say how many of those are duplicates, but what's fairly clear is that saying only 10, 20, or 50 exist is probably a big stretch.

My fave is the Space Busters # 1. It's a really nice cover ... normally :baiting:

Of course, I am biased as it is a Month book. Seems to me Jack you've got quite a few of those (thumbs u

Great pick-ups one and all :applause:

Yours is a lot nicer but still not exactly a prize-winner. I wonder if this issue is tough is higher grade.

Nice of the news stand owner to label it with "The Month" date for you but too bad about the other scribbles. I think the Pat K books (from ciorac) included a lot of Month books. What are you still hunting?

76484.jpg

Jack

Yours is a lot nicer but still not exactly a prize-winner. I wonder if this issue is tough is higher grade.

No prize winner is right. I feel Guide on this book is way high compared to eBay results so not necessarily tough in HG, just expensive ... eBayers know it so when it shows up generally it's with a BIN option only at high $$ for fear that a regular auction format would (and it will) disappoint. That's why it took me a while to find the right compromise copy.

Nice of the news stand owner to label it with "The Month" date for you but too bad about the other scribbles. I think the Pat K books (from ciorac) included a lot of Month books. What are you still hunting?

Yes, I remember noticing that and PMing Bill right away ... but no luck on those last few.

What else you got coming your way? :popcorn:

Finally added this one to my collection. Also due to the assistance of another forumite!

ItRhymesWithLustcopy3.jpg

That is a tough Matt Baker book in any grade. :applause:

I have a line on a copy local here in Alaska.....what's the going rate for a G/VG in your opinion....been thinking about getting it for years from a collector.

Finally added this one to my collection. Also due to the assistance of another forumite!

I have a line on a copy local here in Alaska.....what's the going rate for a G/VG in your opinion....been thinking about getting it for years from a collector.

Hi Collin :hi:

I supplied this book to Mark as part of a trade. It's tough to price as so few of them sell. I remember finding one in VG about 7 years ago, and the price was $1000. I passed. For this one, I'd estimate it at $450, plus or minus $100.

Hi Collin :hi:

I supplied this book to Mark as part of a trade. It's tough to price as so few of them sell. I remember finding one in VG about 7 years ago, and the price was $1000. I passed. For this one, I'd estimate it at $450, plus or minus $100.

Now that it is in my possession I'd say plus $100! ;)