• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,416 posts in this topic

I grossly overpaid for this one in the last ComicConnect auction. Got it in and the FC was perfect. The back cover was wavy enough to surf on. A quick stop at classics and its probably worth about what I paid.

Sorry about the scanner glare.

49Startling90.jpg

This is a beautiful comic! (worship)

Moving to the other end of the grade spectrum, this copy has seen better days, but I always find WW2 covers hard to resist.

RADBA71A2009813_9238.jpg

Grade shmrade, that is a nice book :)

Yep................and one I need too. :cloud9:

Last Clink auction book just arrived :cloud9:

Plas20-1.jpg

I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on with this cover.

The gutter is to catch the tears, I get that. But why bring them to that other guy's bowl? And why float money in there too? Wouldn't the coins Woozy's dropping in just sink to the bottom? And who's the 3rd crying guy who looks like a caricature of someone famous back then?

A no-prize to the first person who can provide a coherent explanation.

Plas20-1.jpg

The gutter is to catch the tears, I get that. But why bring them to that other guy's bowl? And why float money in there too? Wouldn't the coins Woozy's dropping in just sink to the bottom? And who's the 3rd crying guy who looks like a caricature of someone famous back then?

To understand the meaning of this cover one must first understand the genius that is Jack Cole...... ;)

Its from the story with that sad looking character in the window. His name is Sanders. He is a petty crook who tries to get a bit part in a play to make some money. While auditioning, he gets coached by this famous theater man how to put ALL his emotion into his facial expressions. Being trained for the part of a really sad person.....he ends up having the entire cast and crew weeping with grief at how sad he looks.....and they all end up just giving him all their money and valuables. They dub him Sadly Sadly Sanders.

Sanders then goes out into the city to try his new found power on the public in general, starting with a Brinks bank truck. The guards take one look at him and just start bawling....claiming they have no right to be happy or own possessions while such sad misery exists in the world and proceed to give Sanders all the money from the back of the truck. No one can look at Sanders face without it breaking them down into a fit of blubbering weeping sadness.....even Plastic Man.

The story takes a turn when Sanders is captured by Plas but a crowd of people witness the arrest and feel so sorry and sad for Sanders that they begin attacking Plas to free him..... believing that no who looks THAT sad could possibly be a criminal. Plas is overcome by the rabid crowd and fakes his death. Sadly ends up going to Plas' funeral to get the last laugh and when he does, Plas smacks him silly and hauls him off to jail. Its a great story and a prime example of Coles abiltiy to write and draw the most absurd and fantastic situations for his hero.

I hope that was coherent :hi:

Got a large Four Color mail day today :D

86110.jpg

WHEE-DAWGIES!

Overall nice-looking copies, too.

A few tougher ones, right? Real McCoys, Alice Unbirthday, Yak Yak (Jack Davis and one of the last few issues)

Well done. Now that you have them in hand, care to reveal your source?

Jack

Plas20-1.jpg

To understand the meaning of this cover one must first understand the genius that is Jack Cole...... ;)

Its from the story with that sad looking character in the window. His name is Sanders. He is a petty crook who tries to get a bit part in a play to make some money. While auditioning, he gets coached by this famous theater man how to put ALL his emotion into his facial expressions. Being trained for the part of a really sad person.....he ends up having the entire cast and crew weeping with grief at how sad he looks.....and they all end up just giving him all their money and valuables. They dub him Sadly Sadly Sanders.

Sanders then goes out into the city to try his new found power on the public in general, starting with a Brinks bank truck. The guards take one look at him and just start bawling....claiming they have no right to be happy or own possessions while such sad misery exists in the world and proceed to give Sanders all the money from the back of the truck. No one can look at Sanders face without it breaking them down into a fit of blubbering weeping sadness.....even Plastic Man.

The story takes a turn when Sanders is captured by Plas but a crowd of people witness the arrest and feel so sorry and sad for Sanders that they begin attacking Plas to free him..... believing that no who looks THAT sad could possibly be a criminal. Plas is overcome by the rabid crowd and fakes his death. Sadly ends up going to Plas' funeral to get the last laugh and when he does, Plas smacks him silly and hauls him off to jail. Its a great story and a prime example of Coles abiltiy to write and draw the most absurd and fantastic situations for his hero.

Pheeee-nomenal. Thank you kindly.

I like the twist whereupon Plas fakes his own death. Genius.

WHEE-DAWGIES!

A few tougher ones, right? Real McCoys, Alice Unbirthday, Yak Yak (Jack Davis and one of the last few issues)

Jack

Thanks Jack! Yeah just a few that aren't great looking but in general great eye-appeal on these.

Do you need the Roy Rogers at bottom right, # 177. I already have a copy doh!

WHEE-DAWGIES!

Jack

Thanks Jack! Yeah just a few that aren't great looking but in general great eye-appeal on these.

Do you need the Roy Rogers at bottom right, # 177. I already have a copy doh!

Yes, I do. (Well, my wife would disagree about "need," but I want it.)

Thanks!

If that double is the biggest mistake you make this week, you live a charmed life.

King of the Royal Mounted #283 looks nice.

I see that you ignored my question about source :whistle:

Jack

Plas20-1.jpg

Congrats Mike (thumbs u That sure is a nice looking 6.5!

(And the story synopsis was wonderful :grin: )

Just did a upgrade on this, the first Tarzan BLB. This is truly a fantastic copy!!!! (I'm really happy, can ya tell??!!!)

TarzanapesBLB.jpg

TarzanapesBLBspine.jpg

Hokey Smokes, that is purty! :o

Plas20-1.jpg

Wazzup, C-man? :hi:

This story was featured in Spiegelman's appreciation of Jack Cole.

http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Cole-Plastic-Man-Stretched/dp/0811831795/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253234038&sr=8-2

Plas20-1.jpg

Congrats Mike (thumbs u That sure is a nice looking 6.5!

(And the story synopsis was wonderful :grin: )

Thanks Ricky Richardo. It is indeed a nice 6.5. I don't think I'm even gonna crack it. I just like lookin at it.

And also CentaurMan......(I forgot to mention) that other guy in the window is the chief of the FBI....Plas' boss.

Also scrooge....thats an amazing bunch of four colors you got there. It looks like Christmas came early to your house (thumbs u

I <3 Tarzan. Richard had an awesome Single Series 20 in San Diego. I would have loved to spring for that one.....but you know.......these books waiting to get into my collection, need to just sometimes .....TAKE A NUMBER :grin:

Edited by Senormac