• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,440 posts in this topic

i got the main one i wanted on c'link tonite, and a cool little book i never really noticed 'til it was winding down. it was so pretty i nabbed it.

whiz35.jpg

don32.jpg

whiz35.jpg

16 copies - that's one of the highest numbers I've ever seen on a Church book.

It sure shows how popular Whiz was back then...

A few of the Captain Marvels get above 30, which are the highest order numbers I've seen on any Church book.

I've asked everyone I thought who would have an answer, what does the last numbers mean?

Look at the scans below, They have "30-20" written on them. If the "30" is the number of copies ordered, what does the "-20" part mean?

I've seen the extra coding on many other titles, like Marvel Mystery Comics, Sensation Comics, etc...

Does the "20" on these books mean it is copy #20 out of 30? (shrug)

This extra coding only appears on the Church books for a limited amount of months, then it goes back to the standard coding.

capadv21.jpg

capadv19.jpg

As a follow-up, most of the Church books with this extra coding are from 1943. Also, this coding is always on books with high order numbers. You never see a code like "4-2" on a Church book. It's always titles with large order numbers.

Take a look at this All Star Comics #15. If you look on Starman's cape, the code is "14-4"

allstar15.jpg

I like your interpretation above:

"Does the "20" on these books mean it is copy #20 out of 30?"

Why not? They would only do it on the higher order books if this was a "loss prevention" system, meaning they would try to account for all the copies they received and prevent theft. At the same time, maybe they were also trying to see if ordering that many made sense (though given all of these were returnable, one wonders why they would bother keeping track).

As to why it only lasted for a period in 1943. That's a cumbersome and time consuming system and was quickly abandoned as a pain in the neck to implement. Or, even, one could conceive of a temp / seasonal employee with a pet project and he / she lost interest or left the place.

Too much time on my hand I guess :lol:

Those are bad- (thumbs u

Thanks Richard. :)

Not much interest in Tarzan these days, but this run has been a lot of fun to put together. Still waiting on one more from Sarasota and then I do an updated group shot.

Oh and I forgot these two:

TipTop034cgc70fc.jpg

TipTop041cgc75fc.jpg