• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,441 posts in this topic

Now the fun part. I bought it as a 4.5 (and paid dreadfully for it) and was told there was some fresh tape due to some spine splitting. Turns out, the cover is detached and fully split. Only the tape is keeping it in one piece and attached to the book. With CGC's ludicrous tape bump, it might get a 1.8. Without the tape, a 1.0. The book is so precarious I can't even open it up to read it before mailing it back. I'm not sure that the centerfold wasn't loose and reattached when the cover was put back on.

Sucky bummer mixed with a bit of pissed off.

Now the fun part. I bought it as a 4.5 (and paid dreadfully for it) and was told there was some fresh tape due to some spine splitting. Turns out, the cover is detached and fully split. Only the tape is keeping it in one piece and attached to the book. With CGC's ludicrous tape bump, it might get a 1.8. Without the tape, a 1.0. The book is so precarious I can't even open it up to read it before mailing it back. I'm not sure that the centerfold wasn't loose and reattached when the cover was put back on.

That is definitely a bummer, not the kind of surprise you like to find. Aggravation as much as disappointment

:(

I was assured I was next in line for the book if the "first buyer" returned it. :acclaim:

I'll buy that for a dollar! Well, maybe 50 cents.

Wow!! What a disappointment. I can imagine how you feel after locating something you really wanted only to find that. Sorry to hear. :sorry:

That really is a bummer to track down a very tough book and have it not be what you had expected.

Yeah, given how I've been pretty vocal about CGC's ridiculous grade bump for taped books, it was pretty ironic to get one in the mail that was graded even higher than CGC would grade it. I think the consensus here would be that it ought to get a 0.5. To make it worse, it looks like it was disassembled to get the cover back on and two centerfolds were reattached at the same time. Trouble is, the staples are so tight and the tape so unyielding, that I can't even get the book to open up fully. If I did, I'm afraid the whole thing would just fall apart.

If you had any inkling of how much I'd spent with Metro over the last few years and how much I have run through their auctions, well, this isn't how you ought to treat one of your better customers.

Yeah, given how I've been pretty vocal about CGC's ridiculous grade bump for taped books, it was pretty ironic to get one in the mail that was graded even higher than CGC would grade it. I think the consensus here would be that it ought to get a 0.5. To make it worse, it looks like it was disassembled to get the cover back on and two centerfolds were reattached at the same time. Trouble is, the staples are so tight and the tape so unyielding, that I can't even get the book to open up fully. If I did, I'm afraid the whole thing would just fall apart.

If you had any inkling of how much I'd spent with Metro over the last few years and how much I have run through their auctions, well, this isn't how you ought to treat one of your better customers.

You may have already done this, but perhaps a phone call might result in some kind of make-good from them. Given the true condition of the book, if I were Metro I would refund your money and tell you to keep the book.

But if I were a dealer, I probably wouldn't last long! :D

Post an even tougher book and feel better. (thumbs u

4.5 doh!

You may have already done this, but perhaps a phone call might result in some kind of make-good from them. Given the true condition of the book, if I were Metro I would refund your money and tell you to keep the book.

But if I were a dealer, I probably wouldn't last long! :D

Yeah, I had already called. It's just another in a series of issues I've had with them since last summer.

Yeah, I had already called. It's just another in a series of issues I've had with them since last summer.

What a major burn on the Planet 15, but considering the source I can't say that I'm surprised.

I hope you're sending it back. I've seen many Planet 15s over the years, and they almost all have bad paper.

sounds about right for Metro/CC. sorry to hear about this. :(

sounds about right for Metro/CC. sorry to hear about this. :(

I've noticed a lot of raw books on CConnect that are obviously overgraded based on the scans and that have prices that would be sky high even if the stated grades were accurate. This story just reinforces what I was already starting to believe, i.e. that buying raw books through that site is asking to get hosed. (To be fair, though, I've had decent customer service when buying slabbed books from them.)

is this thread exclusively for recent acquisitions (2904 pages later), or is it appropriate to post assorted keys, cool covers, etc. that i've had for a while?

if there's a "post your assorted keys, cool covers, etc." thread, i haven't seen it yet, so please point me to it if it exists! :)

is this thread exclusively for recent acquisitions (2904 pages later), or is it appropriate to post assorted keys, cool covers, etc. that i've had for a while?

if there's a "post your assorted keys, cool covers, etc." thread, i haven't seen it yet, so please point me to it if it exists! :)

The spirit of this thread is recent acquisitions. Most others are split across publishers: the Centaur thread you know, Fiction House, EC, Atlas, MLJ, Timely, Ducks, Western, Atomic Age, Cap, Supes ... but in proper form, there are no DC dedicated thread lol

Post them here; nobody'll mind. :thumbsup:

The spirit of this thread is recent acquisitions. Most others are split across publishers: the Centaur thread you know, Fiction House, EC, Atlas, MLJ, Timely, Ducks, Western, Atomic Age, Cap, Supes ... but in proper form, there are no DC dedicated thread lol

Post them here; nobody'll mind. :thumbsup:

Well, we do have the Batman/Detective thread, and the Flash journal thread :)

But you are right, we do need a "show me your GA DC thread" ;)