• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,425 posts in this topic

It is signed by Ferstadt, but I am not familiar with his work. Honestly, I don’t like the cover much.

Actually, the Unknown Soldier story, in this case, has little to do with Hitler, although Hitler impersonates a devil-like figure which remains shrouded in mystery.

The story is about personal responsibility, and its consequences, as there is a "selling your soul to the devil" situation which ends quite happily thanks to the help of the Unknown Soldier, which prompts the leading character to react and win over his own fear.

Those "zombies" are something… :D Which year/title/issue?

BTW, I still count on the high-res scan of the splash page of the National #18, if you have kept the file. :baiting:

No, I am sure it was another book. I am mostly into Charles Biro stuff, and particular wartime superhero stories, so I ended up with a Four Favorites #8 and #16 for their unusual Unknown Soldier stories, but I don’t crave the title particularly.

Ah, I have a #4 (with detached cover) but I am going to sell it later on.

It might have been either a Boy Comics, or a Daredevil Comics, or a Steel Sterling book. Or some MLJ or Timely I can’t afford… lol

I don't think it's any of those... I can't afford the killer Timely's either! :) I also don't own any of the other ones, but I do get the CRIME DOES NOT PAY reprints from Dark Horse! 95% or more of my GA collection is Cole covers. If you dig wartime covers maybe it was one of my Cole war books.

I looked up the 4 Fav #16 - that's a cool cover! You should share that one too! Q - Does Cole have a credited story in that one too?

It is signed by Ferstadt, but I am not familiar with his work. Honestly, I don’t like the cover much.

Actually, the Unknown Soldier story, in this case, has little to do with Hitler, although Hitler impersonates a devil-like figure which remains shrouded in mystery.

The story is about personal responsibility, and its consequences, as there is a "selling your soul to the devil" situation which ends quite happily thanks to the help of the Unknown Soldier, which prompts the leading character to react and win over his own fear.

Those "zombies" are something… :D Which year/title/issue?

BTW, I still count on the high-res scan of the splash page of the National #18, if you have kept the file. :baiting:

Speed 1 is the issue. I don't have a copy of that one.

I still have a copy of National 18 and can make a scan of the splash page if the one I sent you wasn't good enough. I had forgotten about that one. What did you need again? I think I was stuck trying to edit the scan because the resolution was so high.

Thanks Bill – the cover is so-so, but I got fixated on it because I wished to have the inside story, by L.B. Cole (image courtesy of the DCM). :)

I think in terms of story this is WAY better than the sought after "Futuro Takes Hitler to Hell": here in some way there is an identification between Hitler and the Devil.

iWB5PaUh.jpg

OK, I gotta have that book now!

Curious to know if anyone has a nice copy of this book. I had never seen one before so I bought this lower grade copy. The cover hooked me.

Happy to have it, but an upgrade would be awesome.

143767.jpg

11644317535_eb046ded6a_z.jpg

Rudy Palais had them sweating bullets in the story and the cover as well.

Edited by BB-Gun

If you dig wartime covers maybe it was one of my Cole war books.

I looked up the 4 Fav #16 - that's a cool cover! You should share that one too! Q - Does Cole have a credited story in that one too?

I don’t think so, but maybe I am just remembering wrong – the Four Favorites #16, here you go. Bought it for a nice price, listed as a VG but the seller did not disclose it has brittle paper and it falls apart if you don’t handle it with extreme care. I needed to scan the story so I am still looking for a coverless copy. :(

CPyXigvh.jpg

Speed 1 is the issue. I don't have a copy of that one.

I still have a copy of National 18 and can make a scan of the splash page if the one I sent you wasn't good enough. I had forgotten about that one. What did you need again? I think I was stuck trying to edit the scan because the resolution was so high.

Much appreciated sir, I will send you a PM. (thumbs u

The scan was excellent but I need pretty high resolution.

cb71d735-d96c-4906-ad4f-d2644c89e528_zpsbfc93003.jpg

Ah, now I see the style matches. I must admit I don’t like it so much – imaginative et al, but the overall quality of drawings does not convince me, while the other artist (the one of the avatar) looks great. :)