• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,416 posts in this topic

Master Comics #5 from 1940, published by Fawcett. It features many characters, in full adventure stories, and it ends with a huge pin-up of Captain Marvel. (Actually it's a full page ad, filling the whole inside of the back cover, promoting the upcoming SPECIAL EDITION COMICS, and they have a depiction of their top hero, Capt. Marvel from Whiz Comics, filling the promo.)

The original owner picked this up when it was new in the summer of 1940, and after passing away in 1991, the person I purchased it from was the one who the heirs called to dispense with the Peoria, Arizona, golden-age collection. This is the only issue of the whole series to rank an 8 on the Gerber Scarcity Index . It measures 14.1" tall and 10.25" wide.

1F0A5D2E-1DFF-438E-985D-9A9BCC0DAE1E_zps2f6kke91.jpg

Love it. Reminds me of the early Jumbos.

Thanks, I agree. Trying to put together runs of the oversized in both titles. Here are some of the others I have.

MC2a.jpg

MC1a.jpg

CC94950A-F953-41D7-A0E0-9B05A9897126_zpsyg7wotfq.jpg

Master Comics #5 from 1940, published by Fawcett. It features many characters, in full adventure stories, and it ends with a huge pin-up of Captain Marvel. (Actually it's a full page ad, filling the whole inside of the back cover, promoting the upcoming SPECIAL EDITION COMICS, and they have a depiction of their top hero, Capt. Marvel from Whiz Comics, filling the promo.)

The original owner picked this up when it was new in the summer of 1940, and after passing away in 1991, the person I purchased it from was the one who the heirs called to dispense with the Peoria, Arizona, golden-age collection. This is the only issue of the whole series to rank an 8 on the Gerber Scarcity Index . It measures 14.1" tall and 10.25" wide.

Love it. Reminds me of the early Jumbos.

Thanks, I agree. Trying to put together runs of the oversized in both titles. Here are some of the others I have.

MC2a.jpg

MC1a.jpg

CC94950A-F953-41D7-A0E0-9B05A9897126_zpsyg7wotfq.jpg

Impressive! And don't forget New Funs.

Yep, those New Funs are especially difficult - and the #6 would be the grail Treasury book for all three titles.

Good luck. :wishluck: New Funs have covers as thin as tissue paper, so if you find one, it's invariably in worn out condition. They are all rare, but for some reason, the #6 seems to be tougher to find than the others.

Yes I ended up getting a total of 12 Southern States esoteric # 1's in a trade for basically a Peanuts #1 CGC 6.5 and a Strange Tales #110 CGC 6.0. They gave me 4800.00 in trade for those two books so it all worked out in a great deal for both of us.

Here is another from that collection. Highest graded.

FlatTop1_zps0c278546.jpg

Long ago, I saw this beautiful blazing red S&K cover in one of the Price Guide color galleries, and finally grabbed one yesterday. Think it's one of the highest graded too.

1210328007a.jpg

GREAT LOOKING COMIC!!!

This was one of my favorite series...I have all six issues but they are all

remainder copies.

mm

Long ago, I saw this beautiful blazing red S&K cover in one of the Price Guide color galleries, and finally grabbed one yesterday. Think it's one of the highest graded too.

1210328007a.jpg

I put in a low-ball on that one. You got it for an excellent price.

One heck of a cool book. Congrats, Josh! :applause:

Many thanks to a Boardie

2601140847401.jpg

:whatthe:

You are amassing an incredible high grade Tec collection, and that's one of the coolest post Robin covers. :applause:

Recent pickup and a tough find Dynamic comics 10

<a  href=http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u476/comicjack/d10_zpsa8bc0b1d.jpg' alt='d10_zpsa8bc0b1d.jpg'>

Never saw that one before, Jack. Congrats!