• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,445 posts in this topic

Congrats Billy, I was tempted to bid on it but changed my mind because of other books I wanted to pick up...

thanks owl, and the rest of you guys as well. have had fun finding first a savannah and then this one to add to the type set. behind the timelys and foxes, i think i enjoy the peds set the most.

Congrats Billy, I was tempted to bid on it but changed my mind because of other books I wanted to pick up...

thanks owl, and the rest of you guys as well. have had fun finding first a savannah and then this one to add to the type set. behind the timelys and foxes, i think i enjoy the peds set the most.

congrats on the Buck, Billy :applause:

Well. happy to have picked up these two last night:

A modest upgrade here - just a slightly brighter copy but then it is one of my top 20 fave covers:

LawbreakersSuspenseStories1170.jpg

...and I was delighted to win my first Larson, a pedigree I've always been fascinated by. This is for me one of those covers - you know, when you first opened the photojournal, it went straight onto my "must find a copy" list. IMHO a classic cover. Found a low grade copy on Ebay fairly quickly, then foolishly sold it, thinking I'd get an upgrade without too much trouble...that was about 6 years ago. So here at last, the ultra scarce Sure Fire #3 (#4), back in my hot li'l hands. If there is an Edgar Church copy I imagine it would easily top this, but otherwise, as good as I could possibly hope for (highest of 2 CGC-graded copies)

SureFireComics3485Larson.jpg

...and I was delighted to win my first Larson, a pedigree I've always been fascinated by. This is for me one of those covers - you know, when you first opened the photojournal, it went straight onto my "must find a copy" list. IMHO a classic cover. Found a low grade copy on Ebay fairly quickly, then foolishly sold it, thinking I'd get an upgrade without too much trouble...that was about 6 years ago. So here at last, the ultra scarce Sure Fire #3 (#4), back in my hot li'l hands. If there is an Edgar Church copy I imagine it would easily top this, but otherwise, as good as I could possibly hope for (highest of 2 CGC-graded copies)

Wonderful book from an amazing pedigree. :applause:

This one fell into the "I would've bid more aggressively if I wasn't saving for a home" category.

Now, the Richie Evans zingers can commence..... lol

My only acquisition despite 50+ bids (admittingly, most weren't that strong).

lfCAYWJ6S9.jpg

Now, can someone sell me a nice # 47 so I can finally finish the Airbrush portion of the Startling run? :wishluck:

Wow - if you are only going to win one book that's not a bad one!

Well. happy to have picked up these two last night:

A modest upgrade here - just a slightly brighter copy but then it is one of my top 20 fave covers:

LawbreakersSuspenseStories1170.jpg

Fantastic book! I know just what you mean about seeing it in the photojournals. Same thing happened to me. I was astonished to see the book for the first time, and eventually located a copy. It is long since gone. But to get the Larson is a coup indeed :applause:

I missed that one in the auction, or you may have had a teensy bit more competition :devil:

yippee!!!!

ff209.jpg

Over graded junk.

you are certainly entitled to your opinion. it is not, however, an opinion shared by a certain red-headed female expert grader from minnesota i know, who shared something of a private viewing with me. the label was the only thing i hid.

The red-head does not share your sense of humor,and says we're turning off the heat next time you visit in February.

yippee!!!!

ff209.jpg

Over graded junk.

you are certainly entitled to your opinion. it is not, however, an opinion shared by a certain red-headed female expert grader from minnesota i know, who shared something of a private viewing with me. the label was the only thing i hid.

The red-head does not share your sense of humor,and says we're turning off the heat next time you visit in February.

hell, in that damn state this threat would probably still have teeth in JUNE!!!!!!!!

yippee!!!!

ff209.jpg

Over graded junk.

hell, in that damn state this threat would probably still have teeth in JUNE!!!!!!!!

Har de har har :taptaptap:

Oh, wait. It's true... :blush:

Under awesome! :sumo:

a non DC :o

I dont even know where to file this in my collection...

tor5cgc.jpg

Fantastic book! I know just what you mean about seeing it in the photojournals. Same thing happened to me. I was astonished to see the book for the first time, and eventually located a copy. It is long since gone. But to get the Larson is a coup indeed :applause:

I missed that one in the auction, or you may have had a teensy bit more competition :devil:

Gulp! :o That was close!

Forgot to say it is a Gerber 8!

Edited by alanna

Adam, do you have the entire run?

I have a few Bethlehems.

Tor_group.jpg

Saturday started off with a bang when I took my boys(7&10) to see the 10am showing of Thor.We thought the movie was just wonderful and recounted our favorite parts over lunch afterward.By the time they downed their last chicken finger,they were begging to head for the local comic shop,and it sure wasn't hard to twist my arm.Both kids got a stack of thirty comics from the 50cent boxes,and I spotted this little gem on the wall.All in all a priceless day. :cloud9:

bluebolt105.jpg

Saturday started off with a bang when I took my boys(7&10) to see the 10am showing of Thor.We thought the movie was just wonderful and recounted our favorite parts over lunch afterward.By the time they downed their last chicken finger,they were begging to head for the local comic shop,and it sure wasn't hard to twist my arm.Both kids got a stack of thirty comics from the 50cent boxes,and I spotted this little gem on the wall.All in all a priceless day. :cloud9:

bluebolt105.jpg

a day to remember. i wonder what will be found on that wall in july after the first avenger?

:applause: Still missing 4 and 5 myself but # 5 is my second favorite after 3.

They are all fun reads. Joe Kubert put his heart into the books and he speaks fondly of them still as being amongst his favorite works.