• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,385 posts in this topic

I have obtained a copy of a comic called Scorchy Smith No.8, it was published by Herald Gravure Pty Ltd, Australia, and distributed by L Miller & Son of London, its is in very good condition.

Does anyone know the history of this comic and are there any collectors of this comic out there.

It's a new one on me.

It's not listed in either of the histories of Australian comics I own.

The only information i can find about it is that Scorchy Smith started as a newspaper comic strip, wikipedia do mention a set of 9 comics produced. Not sure where to go with it regards to having it authenticated. Any help would be appreciated.

Scorchy was featured in issues of Dickie Dare and Famous Funnies. Is your comic an anthology or does it also feature DD?

2848706422_45b77952c4_z.jpg

I believe Ron Goulart wrote an article about Noel Sickles which featured a lot of art. Wikipedia mentions Noel's early collaborations with master cartoonist Milton Caniff. Classic adventure stuff...worth remembering, I think.

Edited by BB-Gun

From Don Markstein's Toonopedia, I have copied comments about the other artists that worked on Scorchy.

"stand-out was Bert Christman, who later co-created The Sandman for DC Comics. The next outstanding cartoonist to work on Scorchy was Frank Robbins, who, like Sickles, had never had a feature of his own before. His signature first appeared May 22, 1939. Robbins packed the strip with hair-raising adventures, but he didn't stick around very long. In 1944, he was hired away by King Features, where he created Johnny Hazard — practically a clone of Scorchy."

Then there was another succession with, again, one minor stand-out — George Tuska (Buck Rogers, Crime Does Not Pay and other diverse credits) served a stint during the 1950s."

Edited by BB-Gun

Daring number 11 is another terrific old Marvel cover. Toro and the Torch are clearly distinct from one another, and Subby looks awesomely menacing even though he is playing the good guy here.

On a lighter note, it must be a weird life for Toro. Imagine being a teenage sidekick to machine.

Edited by Brad Tabar