• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,385 posts in this topic

Daring number 11 is another terrific old Marvel cover. Toro and the Torch are clearly distinct from one another, and Subby looks awesomely menacing even though he is playing the good guy here.

On a lighter note, it must be a weird life for Toro. Imagine being a teenage sidekick to machine.

It may sound stupid but until I bought my first copy of this book, years ago, I thought Subby was destroying the bridge! I had read the reprints of Marvel Mystery #9 and I knew Subby was bad; I didn't realize he'd become a good guy until I bought Timelys that had not been reprinted. Aw, the ignorance of youth! :insane: Edited by mdktkd2

Not at all stupid! He looks like he is destroying the bridge! I still remember thinking his name was Sub-Mariner (pronounced, or so I thought, Sub-mah-reen-er).

I think Subby was the first (or one of the first) characters to tread the line between good guy and bad guy. He's certainly the oldest one still around. Batman treaded the line too, but he is a couple months younger.

Daring number 11 is another terrific old Marvel cover. Toro and the Torch are clearly distinct from one another, and Subby looks awesomely menacing even though he is playing the good guy here.

On a lighter note, it must be a weird life for Toro. Imagine being a teenage sidekick to machine.

It may sound stupid but until I bought my first copy of this book, years ago, I thought Subby was destroying the bridge! I had read the reprints of Marvel Mystery #9 and I knew Subby was bad; I didn't realize he'd become a good guy until I bought Timelys that had not been reprinted. Aw, the ignorance of youth! :insane:
Edited by Brad Tabar

Not at all stupid! He looks like he is destroying the bridge! I still remember thinking his name was Sub-Mariner (pronounced, or so I thought, Sub-mah-reen-er).

I think Subby was the first (or one of the first) characters to tread the line between good guy and bad guy. He's certainly the oldest one still around. Batman treaded the line too, but he is a couple months younger.

It may sound stupid but until I bought my first copy of this book, years ago, I thought Subby was destroying the bridge! I had read the reprints of Marvel Mystery #9 and I knew Subby was bad; I didn't realize he'd become a good guy until I bought Timelys that had not been reprinted. Aw, the ignorance of youth! :insane:

I never pronounced it that way. I always assumed it was pronounced the way mariner was in the Ancient Mariner

I wish I did! It was embarrassing to be corrected by my friends when I was a teenager!

I never pronounced it that way. I always assumed it was pronounced the way mariner was in the Ancient Mariner

i guess i'm going to go after the 9-20 again, having picked up a 12 from c'connect, and now this'un. i soooo love this comic.

jumbo16.jpg

Seems like a shared love of that comic fostered by the tall geek to you and me

Everyone should have a copy (thumbs u

Very cool! But who is that guy?

i guess i'm going to go after the 9-20 again, having picked up a 12 from c'connect, and now this'un. i soooo love this comic.

jumbo16.jpg

Seems like a shared love of that comic fostered by the tall geek to you and me

Everyone should have a copy (thumbs u