• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another buy the book and not the CGC label thread.

39 posts in this topic

Im not following this closely enough..... but interior (newssprint) pages CANT transfer ink onto covers because they were printed hundreds of miles and days apart in those days. By the time the covers met up with the interiors BOTH were well dry.And anyway, Tom, the etch tote ran dry,...cantcha read??

Let me settle a few of the myths...

The cover and body pages on this book were printed in the same place.

Comics up through the mid/late '80's were printed on an old Letter Press. Not an Offset Press.

They were printed one side at a time with lead based plates.

The presses would print the top side, then run through the next set of units to get printed on the bottom side.

The plate was a negative image of the print, so there were no blankets involved.

The plate printed directly on the paper web.

As for this defect...Kevin's guess is a better possiblity than I can come up with.

I've had books like this before and it seems they had transfers in the magenta ink from page 1 and the back page, through the front and back covers.

I don't know if it was a scum issue because I can't recall looking at it all that closely.

I still need to post the process on how the old books were printed.

I'll try to get that done by this weekend.

both you guys havegreater grasp of the printing process than me: I dont know about etch tote, scum, and quinine etc. But wouldnt a dry transfer STILL need something to trigger the transfer? Would two dry, inked sheets of paper trade ink on their own? I remember Silly Putty, and its the quality of the putty that lifts/absorbs the ink. It doesnt happen with just anything you press onto a printed newssprint sheet.

I havent looked at my copy yet. Maybe I should see if mine has the same transfer stains. and what image they came from. Whats the ad on the back of the issue? Usually ink stains on the front come from the next same copy in the pile.

Let me settle a few of the myths...

Dice, man! where ya been? Just the guy I'm lookin for!

Hey, straighten these guys out for me... I'd do it myself, y'know, but like I gotta, like, y'know, do sumfin' else right now... grin.gifgrin.gif

Dice, man! where ya been? Just the guy I'm lookin for!

Hey, straighten these guys out for me... I'd do it myself, y'know, but like I gotta, like, y'know, do sumfin' else right now... grin.gifgrin.gif

There ain't no straightning these guys out. 893frustrated.gif

stooges.gif

by the way, Dice, this book was printed in 1975, not the mid 80s.... unless that was a typo.

I said THROUGH the mid '80s.

I havn't been able to find the start date of the Sparta plant, but it's well into the late '50s or early '60s.

both you guys havegreater grasp of the printing process than me: I dont know about etch tote, scum, and quinine etc. But wouldnt a dry transfer STILL need something to trigger the transfer? Would two dry, inked sheets of paper trade ink on their own? I remember Silly Putty, and its the quality of the putty that lifts/absorbs the ink. It doesnt happen with just anything you press onto a printed newssprint sheet.

I havent looked at my copy yet. Maybe I should see if mine has the same transfer stains. and what image they came from. Whats the ad on the back of the issue? Usually ink stains on the front come from the next same copy in the pile.

A transfer stain does not need a trigger, there substances that are used in making dyes are the trigger. These substances contribute to oxidation process which causes transfer stains. I am just not sure whether his process would cause the red coloration, it is usually yellowish ( the quinone I mentioned is yellow in itself.) That is what is confusing, most grading guides list a transfer stain as a yellowed stain resulting from ink on the first or last page which has rubbed off onto an inside cover. However, I am wondering if it is a continuing reaction with something inherent in the cover. In reference to putting paper between the pages, I think there would be some transfer - to what color and amount , I do not know. I did take a tissue and lightly rubbed it on the red on the pages and sure enough ( like any newsprint I imagine) did come off. Why it penetrates all the way through the cover is a mystery. If you have this issue, take a look and you will see what I mean ( and it is not transluceny.) The back cover has an ad for Evil Knievel. The red is not a tranfer form another comic in a stack because it if definitely from the inside out. Although I am still at a partial loss as to the true cause, I hope this clears a few things up.

Tom

when the covers are printed arent they stacked up? And if so, the back cover would be face up and guess what would be sandwiched right on top of it in a heavy pile of paper? thats right - - the inside back cover of the next printed sheet. In fact the whole pile would be back and front covers pressed onto inside front and back covers. And VOILA!! instead of the inside cover leeching OUT onto the back cover, its really one book's back cover absorbing ink from another's inside back cover before they are assembled

is this Eureka time...or is it just 3 in the morning???

when the covers are printed arent they stacked up? And if so, the back cover would be face up and guess what would be sandwiched right on top of it in a heavy pile of paper? thats right - - the inside back cover of the next printed sheet. In fact the whole pile would be back and front covers pressed onto inside front and back covers. And VOILA!! instead of the inside cover leeching OUT onto the back cover, its really one book's back cover absorbing ink from another's inside back cover before they are assembled

is this Eureka time...or is it just 3 in the morning???

Sorry , no eureka. The discoloration is definitely from images on the inside pages and has nothing to do with the images on the covers, look at my posts earlier to see the images I am talking about ( see below.) Any red on the inside pages transferred its shape onto the cover. Good guess though.

Tom

Actually, it is not exactly transluceny and it does not appear to what Kevin thought it was either. I decided to pull my issues and sure enough, the same discoloration is there on every one of them. Strangley enough, it appears to be some sort of transferrance from the interior pages ink and has nothing to do with the covers themselves. Anything that was written in orange/red transferred to the interior and exterior of the back and front covers. For instance, on the first page you find the title "Red Raven, Red Raven...!", the credits box, Angels pants, and Marvel Girl's hair are all the same color and it transferred heavily onto and through the front cover. It is definitely not transluceny of the color transfer showing through, I put several sheets of different paper and it does not change it ( also you can tell when you have it in hand.) On the back cover it is the same thing there are several frames that transferred the color onto and through the paper. It is almost like the ink was wet and soaked through ( even though it is not.) Interestingly enough, on the back and front covers, there was no transfers from the red colors of Red Raven or Evil Knievel through the cover to the interior. I wonder if this because of a different type of ink or a combination of factors.

yeah? Well, you spelled "you're" wrong! so there. Mr. Knowitall! makepoint.gif

that's it...insult me to make YOURself feel better! By the way, it's not spelled,it's Spelt,past tense. Being a press operator myself, all of your explanations are wrong!

[

that's it...insult me to make YOURself feel better! By the way, it's not spelled,it's Spelt,past tense. Being a press operator myself, all of your explanations are wrong!

Spelt?? Same as spelled, unless you meant the informal meaing of a period of mental disorder. grin.gif

From your profile....

"Seeing Metropolis going out of buisness"

Buisness? Must be part of the same language as the word meaing.

LMAO 27_laughing.gif

This is why the spelling correction posts always crack me up. No matter who is doing the correcting.......they can always have it thrown back at them. insane.gif