• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Ghosts #5... SCARY!!!

12 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I picked this up on an excursion fellow boardie CrowsQB and I took last week.

At first glance, the mark on the back by the top staple appeared to be rust. Upon further inspection however, it proved not to be! No idea what the heck it is! Pages are white. Book is flat and glossy.

Thanks in advance for helping out on this one confused-smiley-013.gif

John thumbsup2.gif

Ghosts5.jpg

Ghosts5B.jpg

I've seen this plenty of times. It's staple rust from another book on the back cover. Even if you think it's not, it probably is a minute amount, enough to leave a mark.

Interesting concept! makepoint.gif

I never even thought of that! I figured it wasn't rust as it didn't line up with the staple (which is clean).

Thanks for the input!

John hi.gif

Tricky one for sure. My thoughts are that, although this is one sharp looking book, it cannot reasonably be considered NM- because of the rust migration. I'd drop it a full grade to VF\VF+. Is there any way to remove the offending blemish without damaging the book?

Yep migrated rust from another book.. still a very nice copy and I'd say 9.0 !!

Yeah, I've seen this as well. The book stored underneath this one at some point in the past is the culprit here. Still a killer looking book though. thumbsup2.gif

I've seen this plenty of times. It's staple rust from another book on the back cover. Even if you think it's not, it probably is a minute amount, enough to leave a mark.

I had a Jimmy Olsen #90 graded that was a 9.6 with the same problem. I graded it a 9.4 and CGC gave it the same. I had purchased it from Motor City and they had graded it 9.4 as well. It might have been a little less pronounced then yours, but it was on the top and bottom staple area.

My grading would go as follows:

Would be 9.6 then 9.4/9.2

Would be 9.4 then 9.2/9.0

Would be 9.2 then 8.5/9.0

Depending on severity of the rust. Yours looks like at least a solid 8.5.

So, for some clarification, a rust mark from another staple would not detract as much as say, some other stain in similar size? I guess I always felt a stain/mark was a stain/mark unless it was date initials from the distributor.

This book is nice and if the "rust" mark is not counted as a "serious" defect than my grade should be higher.

So, for some clarification, a rust mark from another staple would not detract as much as say, some other stain in similar size? I guess I always felt a stain/mark was a stain/mark unless it was date initials from the distributor.

This book is nice and if the "rust" mark is not counted as a "serious" defect than my grade should be higher.

These are the grey areas of grading. It's all in the eye of the beholder. If the book is otherwise 9.4, I can't grade lower than 9.0, assuming the rust is not severe. I think CGC generally agrees, from my experiences.