• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scotch tape / Archival tape. How would you feel about this????

5 posts in this topic

Scotch tape placed on a book is not considered restoration, but acid-free archival tape is considered restoration. And what about glue??? I have wondered about this many times myself in looking at books and trying to determine wether to purchase or not at a show.

First, do you feel we have enough guildlines regarding the matter.

2nd, do you feel it should be changed.

In what way would you like to see this resolved??

This may have been talked about many times before but I figure everything has. So, I throw this post up for thought.

State your thoughts as to what you believe should be the solution to this problem and lets see if we can get it addressed by CGC.

How about this. ANY tape is to be considered Restoration, Tape removal is NOT to be considered Restoration.(but should be noted) Seems like the easiest way to clear this mess up.

This is one of my top pet peeves...

Not ALL glue is considered restoration. As I understand it (partly from a discussion with CGC grader Mark Haspel a few months back)

1) If glue - even one drop - has been used on a book to make it more structurally sound or better in appearance, it will generally be regarded as restoration in CGC's eyes.

2) However, if glue was used in such a way that it isn't critical to the structure of the book - for instance, if CGC deems the glue in question to NOT be holding the cover on - then in many cases it won't be considered restoration, but will be factored in as a defect when grading the book.

Tape seems even murkier in some ways, though I think both tape and glue can receive either "amateur" or "professional" restoration scores from CGC, depending again on how CGC views the application of those materials.

This is one area where CGC really needs to disclose ALL of its grading parameters, assuming these are carved in stone somewhere within their fortress of Florida. (And if they're NOT carved in stone somewhere that the CGC graders, at least, can see them, they oughtta be.)