• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original Art as Gifts

15 posts in this topic

Hi there

I was having a (e-mail) discussion with an American friend regarding some OA he wanted to buy for his daughters' bedroom.

He asked my advice on what he should be looking at to buy.

I brought his attention to a couple of Fred McSavage 'Walter Lantz' paintings (featuring ANDY PANDA and WOODY WOODPECKER) currently up for auction with Russ Cochran. I suggested the cartoon nature of the paintings would be more appropriate for young children.

I explained that I often hear of collectors buying artwork for their loved ones. But instead of catering for the tastes of the recipient for which the gift is (supposedly) intended, the would-be-buyer is more inclined to buy a piece of art that is readily appealing to him (or her).

"Believe me, son, you'll grow up to love the SWAMP THING!"

I mean, do you really want to buy your wife, daughter or son a piece of art (from a title you like) - in the hope it will 'grow' on them' and justify your own selfishness?

It's a bit like me, on a Saturday night, when I offer to buy my wife a crate of beer as a treat. "But, Terry, you know I don't like drinking beer," she protests. "It's the thought that counts," I argue . . .

Thoughts anyone? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What does the daughter like? How old?

Under the age of five.

What did you like, as a five year old - horror movies . . . gore fests . . . superheroes and super-villains beating the cr*p out of each other, etc?

Age of innocence? confused-smiley-013.gif

At that age was 1972, I liked Scooby Doo, Mighty Herculoids, Frankenstein Jr., Johnny Quest, HR Puffinstuf, The Mighty Heroes, yeah and scary stuff thumbsup2.gif. Sorry, I'm old school.

Original art: Any thing from Star Comics (Marvel) OA, Barbie.

Is she a tomboy or frilly?

At that age was 1972, I liked Scooby Doo, Mighty Herculoids, Frankenstein Jr., Johnny Quest, HR Puffinstuf, The Mighty Heroes, yeah and scary stuff thumbsup2.gif. Sorry, I'm old school.

Original art: Any thing from Star Comics (Marvel) OA, Barbie.

Is she a tomboy or frilly?

How the '"'n'ell" would I know? I live in the UK. 27_laughing.gif

What was that you said . . . you like the Mighty Haemorrhoids?

Jeez, take me back to a more innocent time . . . grin.gif

Well I happen to be in this same boat right now. My daughter isn't quite 5 yet and I know what she likes. I'm trying to find her a Winnie the Pooh page but it appears that Disney keeps all of their art and doesn't return it to the artists so there only seem to be prelims out there which I don't want.

Failing that I know she likes Tweety Bird so I may look into purchasing her a WB page if I can find one with Tweety on it but am trying hard for a Pooh page.

On the other hand I know my wife used to like Archie and Betty and Veronica and still has hundreds of digests but I know she would care less if I ever bought her a page of Archie OA. confused-smiley-013.gif

Owly would be a good bet.

To wit . . to . . . who???

To the 5 year old. Isn't that the point? Both Owly and Herobear are excellent "all ages" books. Unless the child has a personal favorite, you'd have to introduce them to new material suited to their age.

I'll be completely honest. I doubt a five year-old is capable of appreciation (at least when it comes to art...especially when it comes to art?). If you insist, does your daughter like SpongeBob Squarepants? I've seen some interesting production cels from Nickelodeon Studios on some websites. She might like to have some SpongeBob artwork on her walls....but buy her a talking Patrick/Spongebob doll just in case. wink.gif

-Issa

Well I happen to be in this same boat right now. My daughter isn't quite 5 yet and I know what she likes. I'm trying to find her a Winnie the Pooh page but it appears that Disney keeps all of their art and doesn't return it to the artists so there only seem to be prelims out there which I don't want.

Failing that I know she likes Tweety Bird so I may look into purchasing her a WB page if I can find one with Tweety on it but am trying hard for a Pooh page.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Would you let her loose with the crayons on it?

I am willing to bet that just about every 5 year old that sees a piece of pen and ink OA would just want to colour it in. confused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

Would you let her loose with the crayons on it?

I am willing to bet that just about every 5 year old that sees a piece of pen and ink OA would just want to colour it in. confused-smiley-013.gif

Haha, no. I would get it framed for her bedroom. I have framed art on the wall in our house and she doesn't try to colour them in so I think it'd be safe.

Although this does bring up something pretty funny. My brother got burned buying some inks only pages from a well-known inker who was very ambiguous in his ebay auctions. I'm pretty sure he let his daughter colour one of them. I'll have to ask him to make sure but I recall him saying something to that effect.

A few years back, for my best friend, who was, at the time, appearing as Rizzo in Grease, I had Dan Parent (Archie artist supreme!) draw her in the same pose as the cover to Veronica 91 (a large-size Veronica standing in the middle, with snapshots of her around her). It worked out perfectly, because my best friend looks exactly like a real-life Veronica.

When my wife and I got engaged, because she's a fan of Superman and Supergirl (but hates comics in general), and I'm a newspaper editor, I had Dan draw her as Supergirl flying through the air, carrying me as a reporter. Dan even lettered the art to say "SuperShauna and her boyfriend, Mike Browning."

For my birthday a couple years ago, my wife knows how I love Carmine Infantino Flash art, so she had me a Flash drawing commissioner by Mr. Infantino.

Those are all gifts that are very special to me and my wife and my best friend (she was in Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans and everything in her apartment was destroyed, except the art, which was still hanging on her wall untouched, when she returned to her home).

Mike B.