• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USM #1 in excellent NM condition: get it graded or sell it ungraded on eBay?

29 posts in this topic

I have a copy of USM #1 bought a few years ago, then bagged and boarded instantly. I just found out that it's worth quite a bit ($300-350, red cover first print run direct edition) and want to sell it. Anyway, I could bore you and type more, but I'll just get to my question: should I sell it ungraded on eBay as a NM+ book (I unbagged it to check it carefully for any defects, bends, damage, etc. but it's pristine) or get it graded and wait the 20 or so days (another question: how do I find a dealer to submit my book with??) for it to come back? Basically, which will get me more money smile.gif? I didn't buy it originally for profit, but since it's worth that much, I want to sell it. I also have a copy of #'s 2 and 3 (car cover). Anyone have some sagely words of advice for me smile.gif?

Check the bid history: it is an average $55 - 75 book in raw unslabbed condition. You just got two people butting heads and one may have been a shiller for the seller, or speculating on the book hoping it will grade out a CGC 9.8 (even CGC 9.6's average around $150 - 200 on a good day for this book). If you want a true market value of the book, average out several sales. If I were you, go offer your book to the second highest bidder. the seller is claiming NM, but it should only sell in the $300 - $350 range if it is slabbed CGC 9.8. just my opinion

Get it graded... You'll never see a price like that again for a raw red USM #1. Go to Metropolis Comics website. Down on the left-hand side you'll see the CGC symbol. Follow the link to submit the book. Unless you're doing a "standard" submission ($49) you'll have to submit another book because the "modern" submission ($16) requires, I believe, at least two books.

I have a copy of USM #1 bought a few years ago, then bagged and boarded instantly. I just found out that it's worth quite a bit ($300-350, red cover first print run direct edition) and want to sell it. Anyway, I could bore you and type more, but I'll just get to my question: should I sell it ungraded on eBay as a NM+ book (I unbagged it to check it carefully for any defects, bends, damage, etc. but it's pristine) or get it graded and wait the 20 or so days (another question: how do I find a dealer to submit my book with??) for it to come back? Basically, which will get me more money smile.gif? I didn't buy it originally for profit, but since it's worth that much, I want to sell it. I also have a copy of #'s 2 and 3 (car cover). Anyone have some sagely words of advice for me smile.gif?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=17082&item=2184063369

This is the 2nd one silverstar030 bought for over 300 bucks!! 893whatthe.gif TIme to e-mail this guy and let him know my BIN only $250.00 free shippig too!! Worth a shot..!! smile.gif

If you live in or near Chicago, I suggest that you attend the Wizard World convention and get the book graded "same day" by CGC. They are only going to charge about $20 and you can save on the waiting and shipping.

If you live in or near Chicago, I suggest that you attend the Wizard World convention and get the book graded "same day" by CGC. They are only going to charge about $20 and you can save on the waiting and shipping.

No way!!! Heck, I'd fly there with my books for that rate!

Wait, I think I just heard Steve's head explode. shocked.gif

Actually, CGC is charging Walkthru service for their Wizard World grading. Considerably more than $20! blush.gif

Alan

Just to clarify, I was told this was for moderns only and if I find out in Chicago that I'm wrong about the price, I apologize and will let everyone know.

Yup. Just confirmed today with Pete from Paradise Comics. I'm going to attend, so will definitely be taking advantage of this rare opportunity.

I think Pete from Paradise Comics has been doing a little too much peyote if that's what he really told you and didn't just misunderstand what you were asking. I don't think there's any way that CGC will be grading moderns "same day" for 20 bucks a pop. 893naughty-thumb.gif

You can drop them off at the CGC booth and they'll transport them back to CGC headquarters for you to save you the shipping costs of sending them in. But you'll still have to wait their normal turn around time for CGC to grade them and mail them back to you.

It seems that the turnaround time for CGC to grade Modern books has been delayed a bit, as I called today to find out that my hi-grade USM's will be ready for return shipment approximately 25 days after they were received. I imagine this is a result of people dropping off books at the San Diego Con, and will only get worse after Chicago. Good for CGC....bad for Joe Collector.

With all the business coming their way now...it's my opinion that CGC should increase their grading staff to make this turnaround time shorter. I wouldn't mind paying a few extra dollars a book to cut one to two weeks off my wait time. I just want to hold them and fondle them (my books, I mean).

My two cents. 893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

And how the heck did I get three stars attached to my name?

BTW, IMO the only Ultimate Spidey books worth slabbing are #'s 1-6. If you manage to get a 9.8 on one of these puppies, that'll bring in significantly higher bids on your auctions...not so much with the later issues.

And how the heck did I get three stars attached to my name?

click on any users name to view their "my home" when viewing their "my home" you can rate the user. 1 star being the lowest and 5 star being the highest. laugh.gif

I think Pete from Paradise Comics has been doing a little too much peyote if that's what he really told you and didn't just misunderstand what you were asking. I don't think there's any way that CGC will be grading moderns "same day" for 20 bucks a pop. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I can't comment on Peter and peyote, Bug. insane.gifThe prices will be finalized tonight, but it looks like the Modern price for the on-site grading will be....(drum roll, please)...

$20 per book, no dealer or collector society discounts! 893whatthe.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Now you may insert all of your peyote jokes! Oh, and Susanville--you better buy that plane ticket now, buddy! tongue.gif

It seems that the turnaround time for CGC to grade Modern books has been delayed a bit, as I called today to find out that my hi-grade USM's will be ready for return shipment approximately 25 days after they were received. I imagine this is a result of people dropping off books at the San Diego Con, and will only get worse after Chicago. Good for CGC....bad for Joe Collector.

With all the business coming their way now...it's my opinion that CGC should increase their grading staff to make this turnaround time shorter. I wouldn't mind paying a few extra dollars a book to cut one to two weeks off my wait time. I just want to hold them and fondle them (my books, I mean).

My two cents. 893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

This is not true. Moderns are on time. Someone gave you the wrong info or you are mistaken. Please send me your invoice # and I will find out if or why your order is delayed.

I can't comment on Peter and peyote , Bug. The prices will be finalized tonight, but it looks like the Modern price for the on-site grading will be

Peter and the Peyote!!!......I loved that book as a child!!!...I think thats what first got me hooked hallucinogenics as a kid rastabong.gif

....aw gosh....good times.....

J.D.