• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USM #1 in excellent NM condition: get it graded or sell it ungraded on eBay?

29 posts in this topic

I think Pete from Paradise Comics has been doing a little too much peyote if that's what he really told you and didn't just misunderstand what you were asking. I don't think there's any way that CGC will be grading moderns "same day" for 20 bucks a pop. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I can't comment on Peter and peyote, Bug. insane.gifThe prices will be finalized tonight, but it looks like the Modern price for the on-site grading will be....(drum roll, please)...

$20 per book, no dealer or collector society discounts! 893whatthe.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Now you may insert all of your peyote jokes! Oh, and Susanville--you better buy that plane ticket now, buddy! tongue.gif

Well, I am on a plane this weekend... as I'm flying to Europe, can I just drop them from the plane and you catch them?

I think Pete from Paradise Comics has been doing a little too much peyote if that's what he really told you and didn't just misunderstand what you were asking. I don't think there's any way that CGC will be grading moderns "same day" for 20 bucks a pop. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I can't comment on Peter and peyote, Bug. insane.gifThe prices will be finalized tonight, but it looks like the Modern price for the on-site grading will be....(drum roll, please)...

$20 per book, no dealer or collector society discounts! 893whatthe.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Now you may insert all of your peyote jokes! Oh, and Susanville--you better buy that plane ticket now, buddy! tongue.gif

Well, I am on a plane this weekend... as I'm flying to Europe, can I just drop them from the plane and you catch them?

And this brings up another question. Which line will be longer: the line to get into the con or the line to get your books same-day-graded for $20 a pop?

Does this include on-sight grading for Signature Series books too??? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Does this include on-sight grading for Signature Series books too??? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Yes, but remember, SS costs $5 more than the tier it is sent thru......

It seems that the turnaround time for CGC to grade Modern books has been delayed a bit, as I called today to find out that my hi-grade USM's will be ready for return shipment approximately 25 days after they were received. I imagine this is a result of people dropping off books at the San Diego Con, and will only get worse after Chicago. Good for CGC....bad for Joe Collector.

With all the business coming their way now...it's my opinion that CGC should increase their grading staff to make this turnaround time shorter. I wouldn't mind paying a few extra dollars a book to cut one to two weeks off my wait time. I just want to hold them and fondle them (my books, I mean).

My two cents. 893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

This is not true. Moderns are on time. Someone gave you the wrong info or you are mistaken. Please send me your invoice # and I will find out if or why your order is delayed.

Thank you Steve for your quick response and explanation of this obvious misunderstanding. I will now be expecting my USM books (all graded at 10.0 893applaud-thumb.gif ) within the normal time period.

Thanks again.

Yup. Just confirmed today with Pete from Paradise Comics. I'm going to attend, so will definitely be taking advantage of this rare opportunity.

You can drop them off at the CGC booth and they'll transport them back to CGC headquarters for you to save you the shipping costs of sending them in. But you'll still have to wait their normal turn around time for CGC to grade them and mail them back to you.

I'll have you know that Peter is a fine, upstanding citizen in his community and would never even consider using peyote.

However, if you slip him a $20 he will show you what he has growing out behind the store. wink.gif893whatthe.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

I don't suppose that you would consider offering this same service at one of the New York Conventions later this year? Yes, I know they're somewhat lame compared to others, but this is New York, dammit!

Well.....when I'm wrong......I admit I'm wrong......but I usually blame it all on greggy. tongue.gif

Now the next question is......how in the world are you guys going to be doing same-day on-site grading for 20 bucks a pop on modern books? That seems like a nightmare just waiting to happen. Is there going to be a limit on the number of books that can be submitted by one person?........or did you guys hire another 500 people to grade and do restoration checks? 893whatthe.gif

I'd blame it on the peyote!

I was talking with Paul on the phone today, but this info was already posted in the CBG a few weeks ago... essentially, Wizard has provided CGC with a PRIVATE space in which to set up the slabbing equipment and the grading tools required. This room will be guarded by an armed guard who will ensure that the grading process and the books are secure and uninterrupted.

Since this is the first time they are doing on-site grading I don't think they know what to expect. I hope it works out, but I don't envy them because I'm sure that this caused a lot of logistical and scheduling headaches.

Kev