• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sniped too late :(

16 posts in this topic

All last week, I was watching an auction for a Batman #12 cover. Yes, it was the cover only (which is a saved search of mine, "cover only"), but with a coverless #12, I would have a GOOD Batman #12. I enjoy the search of completing a cover with its coverless comic. It's a cheap way to get a G condition key comic. Usually, a G comic is pretty beat up, but a detached cover makes a comic G by default, and usually looks better than a traditional G (other than the pulled staples).

It ended at 7:40 last night, and I had my eye on it. Well, at 7:30, my wife gets a phone call from a client from work, and needs to be on the computer. I figured she would be off in time, but at 7:35, I decide to boot up the laptop. I log in with 17 seconds left, and place my bid, but get an error message!!! I hit back and resubmit my bid, but it was too late. I was so sad, I could have cried. frown.gif

Well, I'm usually good at it. Just this one time, I couldn't get to a computer. I don't expect that to happen often. I never liked a sniping service, because I like bidding with like 20 seconds left, and leaving enough time to call an audible and bid again if I'm still outbid.

Rob I have to admit I was like you once..........I used to love and "Snipe" on my own wits and timing.

Unfortuantly I started missing alot of nice books, so i went witht the sniping service. Been much happier since then. 893applaud-thumb.gif

It may not be your fault.

I missed out on 2 items I wanted the same way.

EBay was having trouble last night I guess.

Some pages wouldn't load for me and error messages when bidding... frown.gif

All last week, I was watching an auction for a Batman #12 cover. Yes, it was the cover only (which is a saved search of mine, "cover only"), but with a coverless #12, I would have a GOOD Batman #12. I enjoy the search of completing a cover with its coverless comic. It's a cheap way to get a G condition key comic. Usually, a G comic is pretty beat up, but a detached cover makes a comic G by default, and usually looks better than a traditional G (other than the pulled staples).

I guess using this approach, that the cover and the interior pages must each respectively achieve VG-FN condition, so that the detached cover is offset significantly by overall better grade?

I guess using this approach, that the cover and the interior pages must each respectively achieve VG-FN condition, so that the detached cover is offset significantly by overall better grade?

So what does buying a seprate cover and pages get you graded?

What % of Ostreet condition good do u think is reasonable to pay for a cover only to a golden age book? How about both front & back covers only? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The Marvel Comics #1 (1939) coverless at Heritage sold last week for about 18% of condition good. At San Diego, some big time dealers wanted 20% of good price for a coverless golden age key.

I love the detached cover, if, like garth said, the grade of the cover/insides offsets the detachment. I don't buy all my books this way, but it's a good way to get decent looking fillers at a bargain. I have a Batman #155 that looks F/VF, except for a detached cover. Cost me $15.

As far as what I would pay for a detached cover, it depends on what the cover looks like. The one I was bidding on, Batman #12, lists for $300 in G. I was about to bid $95 for the cover, roughly 1/3 BV of G. I figured if I could find a coverless #12 on eBay for $100, I'd have a nice looking book for $200. Technically a G, not Fair or Poor. And one that looks VG or F, except for pulled staples. Just a fun hobby for those of us who can't afford a real F #12.

While I tend to agree with Pov on many points, this one's a bit dicier from CGC's standpoint, IMO... I mean, how are they supposed to KNOW that the cover and the interior pages are from two different copies of the same ish?

I do agree that if someone approached me with such a comic, I'd back away like they were the Beast With Five Fingers, but if they didn't disclose the fact, how could I ascertain it?

Personally, I try to steer clear of any book with a detached cover or loose/detached c-fold. To me, those are pond scum. Of course, there are exceptions, like if the book in question is truly rare or an early GA key, etc. But generally, I tend to knock of several grades for either such defect.

I think CGC treads rather more lightly in this area, and I wonder if part of the reason might be that once they've slabbed the book, outward appearance becomes even more of a selling point, since the interior is for the most part off-limits and no longer an issue...?

But generally, I tend to knock of several grades for either such defect.

Knock off several grades from what? The grade it appears, or several grades below GOOD? A detached cover is automatically GOOD (VG if detached at 1 staple), so it's already knocked down a few grades.