• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Funnies... Vintage Funnies... Famous Funnies

18 posts in this topic

Digging through boxes in my garage and I come up the run of these I picked up in a big collection about 7 years ago. Run starts with Golden Funnies #2 (reprinting among other things some Superman newspaper strips from 1939), becomes Vintage Funnies with #16 and continues through issue #100 with only #87 missing. There is also a run of Famous Funnies #1-12.

These were printed started in 1973 and as near as I can tell, they were weekly. Alan Light and the Dynapubs guys put them out.

The whole freaking run is unread. I verified that when I went to open some pages and the newspaper punchholes were still stuck together. It actually doesn't surprise me. They guy's collection had over 25,000 comics and I doubt he read 300 of them...

I did a Forum search for the last four years and all the titles came up empty, so either the boards search is messed up or these don't get mentioned often...

Anyone know anything about them? I'll post a couple scans shortly...

Here is a scan of #2 reprinting the November 12, 1939 Sunday Superman...

plus Nibsy the Newsboy from 1905, Mandrake the Magician from before 1940, Buck Rogers from December 29, 1935, Tailspin Tommy from April 19, 1931, Krazy Kat from August 12, 1917, The Family Upstairs from December 8, 1910, Tracy from 1936, Bringing Up Father from October 20,

1918, Katzenjammer Kids from July 11, 1915, and Don Dixon from around 1935...

Looking at these makes me realize how much we get screwed with our Sunday comics today.

I am also amused by the change in Superman from these early days... Random businessman gets his payroll stolen and is unable to get a loan to cover his bills. Superman tells him to go to the Metropolis National Bank that afternoon. Businessman does and is told no, again. Then Superman arrives and the banker still says no, because the man is not solvent. Superman threatens to destroy the bank if the banker doesn't give the loan. WTF? 1699010-BVC033.jpg

1699010-BVC033.jpg.251ffe10758e279b3ac81b665d9d4eda.jpg