• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

ohhh...looks like you're a few months too early there BZ.

Unless you're just teasing us and a photo of the October issue is coming next...

Considering that "Norman Bean" is Burroughs there is no reason to slight the Feb issue -- sure, Tarzan is the big dog but the start of his Martian series ain't chopped liver.

Unless you're just teasing us and a photo of the October issue is coming next...

Considering that "Norman Bean" is Burroughs there is no reason to slight the Feb issue -- sure, Tarzan is the big dog but the start of his Martian series ain't chopped liver.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Some applause for Adam, please.

NOW, I can go to sleep. goodnight.gif

I'm glad you spoke up, because I was really puzzled by Sean's initial response! 27_laughing.gif

Some of us think more highly of John Carter than we do of Tarzan (and you know how much we love Tarzan). gossip.gif

BZ really has the goods... he just loves teasing us... probably has the Tarzan too - and just look at all those minty fresh DJ spines on the far right in the middle pic - I suspect many nice Arkhams, Burroughs & other Sci-Fi specialty press on those shelves - oh and he said Vintage Paperbacks too - probably has the LA Bantams & Reform School Girl while he's at it laugh.gif

Edited by SurfingAlien

Ahh, the first gold book I ever bought... way back in 80' What was the name of the comic dealer who operated out of an old bank in LA or Hollywood? Don't remember.

Collector's Book Store, on Hollywood Blvd,was first comic book store to operate out of an old bank - Bank of America, in this case - they kept their good stuff in the walk in time vault

Leonard Brown and Malcolm Willits were the owners, opening it in 1965, thereabouts

Leonard passed on a few weeks back - Malcolm is still with us.

Malcom was the guy who discovered who Carl Barks was for comics fandom, back in 1958

This is true - BZ is a true fan - and from what i remember, youse guys ain't seen nuthin yet

But to those fortunate enough to have gotten into Collector's in its heyday, it will always remain the most in-depth stocked comic book store there will ever be - and i know some will think that absurd, but then, they would have had to have seen the place, been in it, asked for different issues - these were the guys who pioneered "high grade" concepts as the only way to buy & collect

and, for a select few, some of us got to go inside that vault - i saw a foot of Superman #1, more than a foot of Superman #2, a long time ago now in that galaxy far far away

i remember showcases filled with multiple copies of batmans under #10. i don't know if they were showcasing for an upcoming auction, rotating the good stuff, or if that was just part of the regular display? my uncle asked what was a decent timely for about $20, and they brought out the young allies for me to look through. i bought the 17 and accidentally pulled the cover off of the single staple, the very next day. it was the best of times, it was the worst of times. a stack of superman #1s... i believe it.

The latest offering...

Albert the Alligator and Pogo Possum - (Dell) 4 Color # 105 by Walt Kelly

Animal Comics - (Dell) # 4 (Back Cover)

Animal Fables - (E.C. Comics) # 5

Animal Fables # 5 (Back Cover)

Archie Comics - (MLJ Magazines) # 22

Christmas with Mother Goose - (Dell) 4 Color # 172 by Walt Kelly

Donald and Mickey - (1948 Firestone Giveaway) # 7 "Donald Duck in Toyland" by Carl Barks

Great Comics - (Great Comics Publications) # 3