• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

could have sworn i saw a Tec 29 in that first pic, my bad, as it is my favorite Batman cover even though most people seem to say 31 is

with the Fu Manchu lab cover (#18 or $19?) being my favorite Detective cover ever. It was also my very first pre Batman Tec i ever got - way back circa 1967.

still, all in all, both pics are most impressive array of that DC title one could ever dream of owning

Makes me think back pre ware house flood to when Best of Two Worlds in Berkeley housed a wide inventory with over 400 Mile Highs - amongst an inventory which had grown to a million comic books - traded Chuck Byrne Xmen i had in huge quantities as i had grown to buying 10,000 an issue thru 143 - one was able to acquire all kines of Gold & Key Silver for NM 9.6/9.8 Byrne Xmen in bulk - usually had several copies of every Superman from 10 up at a time - 40-50 Capt Americas, inventory maintainance some call it -

Ahhh, The Good Old Days

to still have such treasures is a blessing, my hat is off to BZ for semi-sharing his Tec 27

I'm considering updating my comic protection from the 1960's standard poly bag to something a little more modern.

After reading recommendations from fellow collectors, I've come up with the following list of products which I am planning to sample:

Mylites2

Archives (is this item also known as a Mylite4?)

Half-Backs Backing Boards

Full-Backs Backing Boards

Is there anything else you use that you consider essential that I may not have considered? This is all new to me so I'm open to suggestions.

Hey BZ for your great collection you might want to consider Life-X-Tenders Plus+. I recently bought them for my best books and here is the description from Bill Cole's website:

Now, BCE has developed Life-X-Tender Plus™, using technology designed by Bell Laboratories. Life-X-Tenders Plus™ are made from very fine copper, bound to plastic and then bonded onto a sheet of certified true archival quality paper. This product will fight off atmospheric pollution and provide long term, non-contaminating protection, including the low levels of gases produced by the paper and inks themselves!

These 9 mil. sheets go inside the books, right next to the paper and ink one quarter of the way in from the front and back covers. The technology is so powerful that only two sheets per book are necessary! Combined with our Mylar® Gardz or Time-Loks™ along with our Life-X-Tender™ backing boards for stiffness and proven acid-neutralizing quality, you can't do any better to preserve your valuable collection.

I'm considering updating my comic protection from the 1960's standard poly bag to something a little more modern.

After reading recommendations from fellow collectors, I've come up with the following list of products which I am planning to sample:

Mylites2

Is there anything else you use that you consider essential that I may not have considered? This is all new to me so I'm open to suggestions.

Yes, My comic room. It is very safe and archivally sound.

You should sell your old poly bags, there probably considered rare collectables now. wink.gif

Hmmm...

Maybe I could market them with a listing of their personal history, such as...

RARE RARE RARE

This particular poly bag held Detective #27 for nearly 40 years. Now it can be yours for only...

A bargain at double the price. smirk.gifthumbsup2.gif

Mylites2

You might need nerves of steel when inserting that Detective 27 into a mylar. But some of those super thin acid loving sheets for migrating acids to put in your GA stuff. Invite me and Shield over and we'll help you do it...for we have nerves of steel. I also have a lot of gas sometimes.

place the 27 (or any book) between two backing boards and then insert (gently of course) the whole sandwich into the mylar. Then slowly pull out the top backing board. This will prevent any snagging on the mylar edges.

also read back a ways to where FFB suggested a safe archival system: book goes into mylite . Mylite on top of a acid fee board and both placed into a GA mylar. And finally for the BEST books (you know all those worth $50K and up like in your collection!) place the mylite and board upside down into the GA mylar and then place that mylar+ comic upside down into a super GA mylar. When you are done, the comic will be well sealed within archival materials (top and bottom (and still able to breathe) and sturdily sitting upright again.

and add the microchamber papers insde the covers if you wish.

youve done well so far with minimal handling and only bags, but I applaud your decision to be a bit more protective with your treasures.

Edited by aman619

You might need nerves of steel when inserting that Detective 27 into a mylar.

But some of those super thin acid loving sheets for migrating acids to put in your GA stuff. Invite me and Shield over and we'll help you do it...for we have nerves of steel.

And lots of 'em, inviting yourself over like that! smile.gif

I also have a lot of gas sometimes.

Those super-thin acid-loving sheets might not be thick enough.

1878794-Adv324.jpg

Jack

place the 27 (or any book) between two backing boards and then insert (gently of course) the whole sandwich into the mylar. Then slowly pull out the top backing board. This will prevent any snagging on the mylar edges.

also read back a ways to where FFB suggested a safe archival system: book goes into mylite . Mylite on top of a acid fee board and both placed into a GA mylar. And finally for the BEST books (you know all those worth $50K and up like in your collection!) place the mylite and board upside down into the GA mylar and then place that mylar+ comic upside down into a super GA mylar. When you are done, the comic will be well sealed within archival materials (top and bottom (and still able to breathe) and sturdily sitting upright again.

youve done well so far with minimal handling and only bags, but I applaud your decision to be a bit more protective with your treasures.

That is a great idea with the two backing boards!

You might need nerves of steel when inserting that Detective 27 into a mylar.

But some of those super thin acid loving sheets for migrating acids to put in your GA stuff. Invite me and Shield over and we'll help you do it...for we have nerves of steel.

And lots of 'em, inviting yourself over like that! smile.gif

I also have a lot of gas sometimes.

Those super-thin acid-loving sheets might not be thick enough.

1878794-Adv324.jpg

Jack

Thank's! I'm trying to overcome my shyness.

preeeeetty sure the backing board goes into the first Mylite, as the acid-buffering effect of the board won't do much good outside the Mylite.

Unless I'm misreading it somehow

makes sense.. but I seem to remember the comic alone in the mylite and the advantage being both sides would always be visible reducing the number of times you had to handle the actual book itself.

if we think of the backing board as primarily for support, and that it be acidfree so that its doesnt ADD any acid off-gassing to the comics environment as it supports it, it wouldnt matter if its in the mylite or not. But if the board needs to touch the comic in order to absorb the comic's off-gassing, then it WOULD need to be in the bag. But I believe acidfree boards are only for support NOT for absorbing gases. Thats the microchamber paper's job.

no?

makes sense.. but I seem to remember the comic alone in the mylite and the advantage being both sides would always be visible reducing the number of times you had to handle the actual book itself.

if we think of the backing board as primarily for support, and that it be acidfree so that its doesnt ADD any acid off-gassing to the comics environment as it supports it, it wouldnt matter if its in the mylite or not. But if the board needs to touch the comic in order to absorb the comic's off-gassing, then it WOULD need to be in the bag. But I believe acidfree boards are only for support NOT for absorbing gases. Thats the microchamber paper's job.

no?

That must be FFB's thinking. His original quote on the subject was:

"I usually go one step further on anything worth more than $1000. I put the comic in a Mylite with no board. Then insert it into a 4 Mil Archive with a full back."