• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Name the comic and issue number of where this image appears on the cover.

quiz17.jpg

WARNING:

We recommend that attempts to solve this quiz should be attempted only by advanced students of the collecting fraternity.

Studies have shown that novice collectors who participate may suffer loss of self confidence, damaged chromosomes, and possibly root rot.

Super Comics #82

From out of nowhere comes a new champion.

winner.gif

Congratulations, REALITY_CONSENSUS.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

I think you can be justly proud of your accomplishment.

Not too many people could have figured that out.

cheers.gif

confetti.gifconfetti.gifconfetti.gif

Super Comics #82

Tough one, especially with so many experts on a road trip to Chicago!

I arrived too late. I actually spotted it as Tracy, remembered his own series and Four Color appearances but not all his other reprint series, but the answer was already there so I peeked. Where's 's usual yellow overcoat?

I never noticed before how much Gould (assuming he's the cover artist) drew like the European "clean line" artists. The crook on the right could have come straight out of Hergé's Tintin.

Jack

It's actually not that early for 1 page splashes. We have had folks post double page spreads by Walt Kelly from 1937, IIRC. Shuster was one of the first to do it as part of a story in 1938 and I know of at least one other case where both single and double page spreads were used in a 1938 story.

It's actually not that early for 1 page splashes. We have had folks post double page spreads by Walt Kelly from 1937, IIRC. Shuster was one of the first to do it as part of a story in 1938 and I know of at least one other case where both single and double page spreads were used in a 1938 story.

Right, Top Notch 2 from January '40 had some nice one page splashes as I recall. Some pretty amazing stuff. I've found a lot of things that go against the prevailing wisdom of early comic lore . A lot of these things, like the 1 page splashes, are just because a lot these books, while they've been collected, haven't actually been read by some collectors. The prevailing wisdon for a long time was that Marvel Mystery # 4 was the first Nazi war cover but that was absolutely false, it was Top Notch #2 which was the first Nazi war cover with a swatzika on the cover battle scene. It took a long time for Overstreet to half heartedly correct this.... wouldn't want to devalue Marvel Mystery 4 now would they.