• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

It's actually not that early for 1 page splashes. We have had folks post double page spreads by Walt Kelly from 1937, IIRC. Shuster was one of the first to do it as part of a story in 1938 and I know of at least one other case where both single and double page spreads were used in a 1938 story.

Right, Top Notch 2 from January '40 had some nice one page splashes as I recall. Some pretty amazing stuff. I've found a lot of things that go against the prevailing wisdom of early comic lore . A lot of these things, like the 1 page splashes, are just because a lot these books, while they've been collected, haven't actually been read by some collectors. The prevailing wisdon for a long time was that Marvel Mystery # 4 was the first Nazi war cover but that was absolutely false, it was Top Notch #2 which was the first Nazi war cover with a swatzika on the cover battle scene. It took a long time for Overstreet to half heartedly correct this.... wouldn't want to devalue Marvel Mystery 4 now would they.

Let's not forget this page from Blue Ribbon Comics #3, January 1940:

blueribbon03_10.jpg

It's actually not that early for 1 page splashes. We have had folks post double page spreads by Walt Kelly from 1937, IIRC. Shuster was one of the first to do it as part of a story in 1938 and I know of at least one other case where both single and double page spreads were used in a 1938 story.

Right, Top Notch 2 from January '40 had some nice one page splashes as I recall. Some pretty amazing stuff. I've found a lot of things that go against the prevailing wisdom of early comic lore . A lot of these things, like the 1 page splashes, are just because a lot these books, while they've been collected, haven't actually been read by some collectors. The prevailing wisdon for a long time was that Marvel Mystery # 4 was the first Nazi war cover but that was absolutely false, it was Top Notch #2 which was the first Nazi war cover with a swatzika on the cover battle scene. It took a long time for Overstreet to half heartedly correct this.... wouldn't want to devalue Marvel Mystery 4 now would they.

Let's not forget this page from Blue Ribbon Comics #3, January 1940:

blueribbon03_10.jpg

A hidden gem! :applause:

That has a very sneezer mouse golden age comic feel to it. hm

Does that mean you're ruling out all the pre-code horror titles?

lol, I'm thinking funny animal book. I'm just not familiar enough to know which one.

Coming in late on this one. Tough quiz -- unsolved overnight!?!

The artwork has sort of a George Carlson feel to it, but it's not a Jingle Jangle. What else did he draw? Almost Dr Seuss-like.

Is it something out of left field like an early Harvey? I have a feeling that the little blue hat is a clue.

One of your best yet!

Jack

You seem to be dropping clues that it's very early EC. On the right track? I still can't place it, but maybe that will help another contestant.

Or since you wrote "on the cover", could it be a back cover?

Jack

Name the comic and issue number of where this image appears on the cover.

Hint: It is NOT from Picture Stories From the Bible.

[later]

popquiz19ga.jpg

That has a very sneezer mouse golden age comic feel to it. hm

lol, I'm thinking funny animal book. I'm just not familiar enough to know which one.

Coming in late on this one. Tough quiz -- unsolved overnight!?!

The artwork has sort of a George Carlson feel to it, but it's not a Jingle Jangle. What else did he draw? Almost Dr Seuss-like.

Is it something out of left field like an early Harvey? I have a feeling that the little blue hat is a clue.

One of your best yet!

Jack

Here's a few hints:

The little blue hat is definitely a clue.

The comic was published by one of the major publishers.

The title character is well known and could be identified by everyone without hesitation.

You seem to be dropping clues that it's very early EC. On the right track? I still can't place it, but maybe that will help another contestant.

Or since you wrote "on the cover", could it be a back cover?

Jack, I followed the EC clue last night to no avail. I know it's not a Dell since editors did not allow any text / onomatopeia (sp?) on covers so the GGRRR precludes this from being a Dell which is thanful since there are tons of those.

The yellow head with the hat is familiar but I am banging my head against a wall to remember where I saw it. I know I have. It's not Fawcett either ... We'll crack it in time. Good luck!

Jack, I followed the EC clue last night to no avail. I know it's not a Dell since editors did not allow any text / onomatopoeiaonomatopoeiaonomatopoeia (sp?) on covers so the GGRRR precludes this from being a Dell which is thanful since there are tons of those.

The yellow head with the hat is familiar but I am banging my head against a wall to remember where I saw it. I know I have. It's not Fawcett either ... We'll crack it in time. Good luck!

I was just teasing Whet with that pre-code horror remark. The unknown comic has no links to a horror line.

I was just teasing Whet with that pre-code horror remark. The unknown comic has no links to a horror line.

Well, it could have been a cover for Land of the Lost, Dandy or other assorted more obscure EC books before they really were ECs ... but it's not. Thanks for the larger view ... I think :pullhair:

Well, blow me down!

So it's Sagendorf -- I never realized that his drawing looked like Carlson's.

If you'd asked me what color Popeye's hat was, I would have said white, and the sliver of yellow "head" was just hat liner.

Well cropped, Mr Z, and well spotted, Mr D.

Jack

Popeye 10 :acclaim:

For my award, I want to see some brilliant red Fiction Houses! (thumbs u