• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

It's actually not that early for 1 page splashes. We have had folks post double page spreads by Walt Kelly from 1937, IIRC. Shuster was one of the first to do it as part of a story in 1938 and I know of at least one other case where both single and double page spreads were used in a 1938 story.

I'm aware of all of the above. It was discussed on another thread.

That's why I said it was "one of the first."

As in maybe one of the first ten times in the history of comic books. That's pretty early in my eyes. (thumbs u

It's actually not that early for 1 page splashes. We have had folks post double page spreads by Walt Kelly from 1937, IIRC. Shuster was one of the first to do it as part of a story in 1938 and I know of at least one other case where both single and double page spreads were used in a 1938 story.

As in maybe one of the first ten times in the history of comic books. That's pretty early in my eyes. (thumbs u

I did notice the qualifier, but I think it leaves a different impression than what BH and I both characterized on the use of the splashes. I would love to see if we can put together a list of these early splashes, distinguishing between those used for 1 or 2 page pictorials (like Walt Kelly's) and those used as part of the story. I view the use of the story splash as significant because it was one of the devices that distinguish the development of comic book stories from their syndicated strip counterparts.

Edited by adamstrange

quiz18.jpg

Great page!

Fantastic Comics #2 has a full-page panel as well (December 1939, and also missed in Overstreet). The Speed full-page panel is cool and actually makes sense for the story, but when Fox books did it, I suspect it was simply because it was a fast way to grind out a page on a deadline.

Speed Comics 6?

YES!!

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Congratulations, sacentaur.

winner.gif

wee.gifwee.gifwee.gif

confetti.gif

My first win - yahoooooo! (just a lucky educated guess, actually, since I don't have any Speed Comics - but now wish that I did!).

Thank you BZ for this fun thread :cloud9:

Fantastic Comics #2 has a full-page panel as well (December 1939, and also missed in Overstreet).

Very good, P5! - it's the next to last page in the Sub Saunders story by H.C. Keifer (cover date January 1940, on the stands 12/39).

I love these early full-page spreads...

Top Notch# 2 had 3 of them! :applause:

Name the comic and issue number of where this image appears on the cover.

quiz17.jpg

:applause: to reality_consensus!! I would have had no clue on the following puzzle (Speed 6) but the one above does scream Tracy so I would have had a shot ... Keep'em coming. (thumbs u

Don't think I've ever seen them together in once place before. :golfclap:

You probably already mentioned this before but how many books did you say made up your Golden Age collection? From the picture, I get the feeling the whole basement is packed. :grin:

You probably already mentioned this before but how many books did you say made up your Golden Age collection? From the picture, I get the feeling the whole basement is packed.

The basement is rather crowded, but it's a good sort of crowded. :)

Congratulations to all the past winners.

Quiz # 1: Scrooge

Quiz # 2 : kimik

Quiz # 3 : mrwoogieman

Quiz # 4 : Billy Parker

Quiz # 5 : Theagenes

Quiz # 6 : Scrooge

Quiz # 7 : selegue

Quiz # 8 : selegue

Quiz # 9 : Point Five

Quiz # 10 : Moondog

Quiz # 11: Scrooge

Quiz # 12: Scrooge