• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Thank you Jeff,

already seeing some incredible material over--i guess my thread stirred up some nasty memories for some--maybe too curious to fast

where bouts in FL -- gonna be there this weekend with wife & baby and need place to stay

Tallahassee. When you say "baby" do mean an actual baby or are you talking about your Action #1. hm

Jeff

Thank you Jeff,

already seeing some incredible material over--i guess my thread stirred up some nasty memories for some--maybe too curious to fast

where bouts in FL -- gonna be there this weekend with wife & baby and need place to stay

Tallahassee. When you say "baby" do mean an actual baby or are you talking about your Action #1. hm

Jeff

ben, ben, ben...if you need to know anything about Fl, it is that you don't want to go anywhere near Tallahasse...dat der is home to dem der semipoles...us gators, don't like dem der semicolins...right jeff :baiting:

gator

Thank you Jeff,

Jeff

ben, ben, ben...if you need to know anything about Fl, it is that you don't want to go anywhere near Tallahasse...dat der is home to dem der semipoles...us gators, don't like dem der semicolins...right jeff :baiting:

gator

See, normally I would try to do some spoon-talkin' at this point, but since we barely managed to top a .500 record and you guys are coming off a National Championship I think I better just tuck my tail and post one of these guys:

:shy:

Here's a few more covers.

topnotch13GA.jpg

Of issue 1-27, 13 was the toughest one for me to find. It was the last one I needed, before that was 26. 12 might actually be tougher, but I found that early in nice grade in a bulk buy from a collection. I should have stopped after completing that part of the run, but I had to go on to collect Top Notch Laugh 28-45 and that where all the fun went away....trying to finsh that part of the run took forever and was agonizing.

Thank you Jeff,

Jeff

gator

See, normally I would try to do some spoon-talkin' at this point, but since we barely managed to top a .500 record and you guys are coming off a National Championship I think I better just tuck my tail and post one of these guys:

I just rewatched that reviting 1986 game (the last of our 7 in a row 1980's win run, before you all "took" over the series)...seems to have swung back in our favor last 4 or 5 years!

gator

I agree # 15 is a nice cover.

Here's a Fred Guardineer page from a Funny Pages. I also have a neat story from the issue but it's too late for me to post but I'll put it up tomorrow. Meanwhile, here's this page -

Wow.

That's an unnerving page for a kid's comic.

Chicken. Nothing unnerving about that page ... Plus, this was 1937. This is kid's stuff compared to just the covers of The Spider for that same period.

Here's some other Fantastic story. Very primary color -

42918-Flip1.jpg.1090a996e65a02238ba7a9b9dfc60f5c.jpg

42919-Flip2.jpg.e2138f2f93508d28259ab9707bf580c1.jpg

42920-Flip3.jpg.ad095638110eba64912fc77973f5f8a6.jpg

42921-Flip4.jpg.33196e783f8fa55c4a0ea835a8414658.jpg

42922-Flip5.jpg.c60fb94123fda1e20742db9e184059ad.jpg

42923-Flip6.jpg.d8b3560b6948fadb0dd2c5bf61484aed.jpg

Thank you Jeff,

Jeff

gator

I just rewatched that reviting 1986 game (the last of our 7 in a row 1980's win run, before you all "took" over the series)...seems to have swung back in our favor last 4 or 5 years!

gator

Was that the one where it was pouring down rain? I mean really pouring! If so I was there for that one. I would have been about 14 or 15. That one is etched in my memory forever. We stayed until the bitter end and were soaked to the bone - plus we lost. Good times though! :cool:

Continued thanks to Scrooge for posting those nice GA pages!! I love seeing anything by Guardineer!

Not to derail the thread too much from BZ's collection (although I'm sure he won't mind!), here is a Centaur spread I pulled from Ebay ... FUNNY PAGES I think. Does anyone know for sure? I would love to track down a copy. Beautiful Guardineer text illustration, and nice graphic design and typography to boot!

(sorry for the small scan)

madmartian.jpg[/img]

topnotch13GA.jpg

Of issue 1-27, 13 was the toughest one for me to find. It was the last one I needed, before that was 26. 12 might actually be tougher, but I found that early in nice grade in a bulk buy from a collection. I should have stopped after completing that part of the run, but I had to go on to collect Top Notch Laugh 28-45 and that where all the fun went away....trying to finsh that part of the run took forever and was agonizing.

BH, in addition to Top-Notch, what titles do you collect?

topnotch13GA.jpg

BH, in addition to Top-Notch, what titles do you collect?

All the MLJ's. Blue Ribbon was another of my favorites as well as Jackpot and Pep, shield Wizard and Hangman.

Thanks, Scrooge.

Awesome story.

You're welcome. I thought it was superior to many others due to the color design and it has that unmistakable GA feel to it.

I hope you don't mind me using this thread to post some random pages I find as I sift through to find the next story to post. I generally put those in my Gorilla thread that gets no traffic. For example, how can one resist learning more about Rainbow Boy, esp. when he is being preachy, for sure for the sake of young readers of Heroic Comics # 19 in 1943. Yet, the imagery is striking. It's quite jarring to see the executed concept of Rainbow Boy against the people lined up at the bottom panel -

42940-Heroic19-RainbowBoy.jpg.2f6303b1b1adb3d6a95bece8ffcf8ac0.jpg

I hope you don't mind me using this thread to post some random pages I find as I sift through to find the next story to post. I generally put those in my Gorilla thread that gets no traffic. For example, how can one resist learning more about Rainbow Boy, esp. when he is being preachy, for sure for the sake of young readers of Heroic Comics # 19 in 1943. Yet, the imagery is striking. It's quite jarring to see the executed concept of Rainbow Boy against the people lined up at the bottom panel -

I'm all for the idea of you (and anyone else) posting scans of Golden Age stories on this thread.

I love them and think it's great if we can give them some exposure.

Rainbow Boy? That's another revelation to me. :applause:

Utterly fantastic stuff you've turned up.

(worship)

42940-Heroic19-RainbowBoy.jpg

For example, how can one resist learning more about Rainbow Boy, esp. when he is being preachy, for sure for the sake of young readers of Heroic Comics # 19 in 1943. Yet, the imagery is striking. It's quite jarring to see the executed concept of Rainbow Boy against the people lined up at the bottom panel -

Is the rest of this story as good as this page? :luhv: