• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

V 1 # 4

Ah yes....Women in tubes....

:cloud9:

(...Paging Mr. Heshka to this thread! ...Mr. Heshka, please pick up the white courtesy phone.)

:cloud9: too and also the only one of which I own a copy ... but mine has a color-xerox for a cover ...

V 1 # 4

marvelsciencestoriesaprmay1939GA.jpg

Ah yes....Women in tubes....

:cloud9:

(...Paging Mr. Heshka to this thread! ...Mr. Heshka, please pick up the white courtesy phone.)

lol We have lunch once and Point Five thinks he knows me!!

Well, he does! :cloud9:

NICE Marvels BZ!!! I love that little Marvel run. Took me a while, but I finally completed it and upgraded accordingly. Plus the two DYNAMIC SCIENCE STORIES.

Allright, I hope you guys are ready for some more Dan Hastings by Guardineer -

I am. Just spectactular!

Scrooge, you rule. I could look at Dan Hastings all day long!!! Guardineer was an amazing draftsman.

Is this the first Dan Hastings? It somehow feels older than the other strips you've posted.

GREAT, GREAT stuff! Thanks Scrooge! (worship)

Scrooge, you rule. I could look at Dan Hastings all day long!!! Guardineer was an amazing draftsman.

Is this the first Dan Hastings? It somehow feels older than the other strips you've posted.

As usual, you've got a great eye. This is from Star Comics # 3. Dan Hastings ran only 2 pages in Star # 1 and did not appear in # 2 so the first page above should be the third Dan Hastings overall.

Absolutely wonderful pages, Scrooge.

Thanks for posting. :applause:

Does anyone know if Guardineer's Dan Hastings stories have ever been collected and reprinted together in one volume?

Does anyone know if Guardineer's Dan Hastings stories have ever been collected and reprinted together in one volume?

No that I am aware of but I don't think there were anymore than about 25 pages for the entire strip? This is when Jon Berk should answer these questions. So, Jon, any more Dan Hastings than 25 pages total?

Here's one last one for today. I'm expecting Theagenes to dissect the underlying message for us since this again preceded the US's involvement in WWII, as it was published some time in 1940, I believe.

42991-Neon2-1.jpg

42993-Neon2-2.jpg

42994-Neon2-3.jpg

42995-Neon2-4.jpg

42996-Neon2-5.jpg

I collect and look for reprint books. Very little of Guardineer's has been reprinted as I can't recall anything. I'm sure I have something but it must not have been of high quality or of his best material.

When he attended his one and only SD Con I did get a chance to spend a few minutes with him just to say thanks for his wonderful stories. He was not in good health but did seem to be in good spirits from all of the attention that he was getting and richly deserved.

Ryan commented on his draftmanship but what I enjoy is his sense of design within each panel -- his are always playful and full of energy.

marvelsciencestoriesaprmay1939GA.jpg

NICE Marvels BZ!!! I love that little Marvel run. Took me a while, but I finally completed it and upgraded accordingly. Plus the two DYNAMIC SCIENCE STORIES.

Do you have all of the different mutations of the title?

After the initial 5 issues, the title changed in December 1939 to Marvel Tales . Two issues were published and then the title changed again in November 1940 to Marvel Stories.

Hi BZ,

The only mutation I have is the issue of MARVEL TALES, with the winged lady carrying the pilot. I don't have the other issue, the one with two fiends lowering a woman in bondage into a large glass container...

I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, SOMEONE on the boards owns the original art to the latter of the above mentioned issues...

Maybe someone can help us out here... hm

Hi BZ,

The only mutation I have is the issue of MARVEL TALES, with the winged lady carrying the pilot. I don't have the other issue, the one with two fiends lowering a woman in bondage into a large glass container...

I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, SOMEONE on the boards owns the original art to the latter of the above mentioned issues...

Maybe someone can help us out here... hm

Are you thinking of me?

I have the cover art to Uncanny Tales, August 1939.

It's very similar in subject matter to the Marvel Tales issue.

Painting.jpg

OOPS! Well, that was the cover I had in mind, but forgot which title it belonged to.

Still, its a pleasure to see the painting!!! What an amazing piece to own. I am curious if there is a story behind how you came to own that... if you care to share it.

With the success of the Fletcher Hanks books, a Guardineer collection would be awesome!

I know I've posted this to the Board before (hopefully not here yet), but what the heck the timing is right and I absolutely love this piece anyway. Advertising flyer sent out by Chesler in 1937 for Dan Hastings...

100_0988.jpg

100_0986.jpg

100_0992.jpg