• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Here's a Thor story. In fact, it is the first Thor story. Alas and again, the Fox story department ( lol:insane:) went out for lunch after page 5 on this one. The artist it seems was left to fend for himself and coasted to the end of the story on the tails of a zillion captions starting with "Suddenly this" and "Suddenly that". Thankfully it lasted only 12 pages total. Still a fun story to look at -

Interesting that this Thor was blond too, like his later Marvel namesake.

Could Kirby and Lee have vaguely remembered this story instead of the red-haired Thor of the Norse myths? (Maybe not Kirby -- didn't he do a red-haired Thor in an earlier one-shot DC story?)

Jack

Cover story from Adventure Comics 75, June 1942. The coloring would have been chosen by the DC colorists rather than Simon & Kirby.

That's one. Wasn't there also a Silver Age DC Thor by Kirby with red hair? In one of the anthologies like Strange Adventures or My Greatest Adventure? I can't put my finger on it.

Jack

That was Tales Of The Unexpected #16, Jack

Angelo

Here's a Thor story. In fact, it is the first Thor story. Alas and again, the Fox story department ( lol:insane:) went out for lunch after page 5 on this one. The artist it seems was left to fend for himself and coasted to the end of the story on the tails of a zillion captions starting with "Suddenly this" and "Suddenly that". Thankfully it lasted only 12 pages total. Still a fun story to look at -

Interesting that this Thor was blond too, like his later Marvel namesake.

Could Kirby and Lee have vaguely remembered this story instead of the red-haired Thor of the Norse myths? (Maybe not Kirby -- didn't he do a red-haired Thor in an earlier one-shot DC story?)

Jack

Cover story from Adventure Comics 75, June 1942. The coloring would have been chosen by the DC colorists rather than Simon & Kirby.

That's one. Wasn't there also a Silver Age DC Thor by Kirby with red hair? In one of the anthologies like Strange Adventures or My Greatest Adventure? I can't put my finger on it.

Jack

That was Tales Of The Unexpected #16, Jack

Angelo

Just combine it with this:

HOM85.jpg

And you get:

295816.jpg

I wonder if Scrooge has any Donald Duck scans. hm

:gossip: I try to post material with no obvious copyright holders ... so you won't see any Ducks posted by me :sorry:

meh They've got bigger fish to fry than to mess with us here. Plus they're ninnies.

Thanks Scrooge. :applause:

I enjoyed The King of Darkness.

I wasn't familiar with either the character or the artist so I was happy to have the opportunity to become acquainted with both of them. :insane:

It had the perfect combination of primitive artwork and simplistic plot that I've come to love of comics from that era. lol

45246-AM26-B7.jpg

Hey Richard, it seems next week will be the battle of the defeated. Who would have thought? :sorry:

On top of that the Brewers couldn't win this week and gave the NL Central to the Cubs. :frustrated: Here's :wishluck: the Pack does well tomorrow but Brett never plays well in a dome ...

Oh well, thankfully for us, we can take solace in those funny books. Here's Briefer on Rex Dexter from Mystery Men # 4 -

45328-M4-RD1.jpg.d473b41c40b0cb78cd6a632ccce6a5ef.jpg

45329-M4-RD2.jpg.9943dbb805ec242ce1c3e729f1f9d96f.jpg

45330-M4-RD3.jpg.11d8da1537d9f9219926480a63ef05f6.jpg

45331-M4-RD4.jpg.f9ceac0b1ca77b0ade69cc675e94fe7b.jpg

45332-M4-RD5.jpg.32153b6d9215813dbb0b03d41ce8ad83.jpg

45333-M4-RD6.jpg.af8e3fdc9c822afd2789068941ca1c24.jpg

Hey Richard, it seems next week will be the battle of the defeated. Who would have thought? :sorry:

I've been at work all day and wasn't paying attention. Did we both get beat?

If so, wow...the mighty Big 12. Not so mighty, huh?