• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

That's one. Wasn't there also a Silver Age DC Thor by Kirby with red hair? In one of the anthologies like Strange Adventures or My Greatest Adventure? I can't put my finger on it.

Jack

That was Tales Of The Unexpected #16, Jack

That must be the one I'm thinking of. Thanks, Angelo.

Jack

"The gas is melting" doh!

Actually, I had no problem with that part at all. Nothing wrong with freezing gases to a solid, and with them melting as they warm up. You could wonder why he was immune to the cold, but it's traditional for superheroes not to be harmed by their own powers.

Fun story, Scrooge -- thanks for posting it. I wonder what inspired the writer to use cyanogen (C2N2), a pretty unusual compound compared to, say, hydrogen cyanide.

Jack

45244-AM26-B5.jpg

Thanks for the scans. :applause:

Briefer's artwork is better than I remembered. :cloud9:

MysteryMen04GA.jpg

It's as if Briefer, way back in '39, knew what the future was going to be like. And didn't Lord Marvel remind you of someone who just might collect comic books as well as invent fiendish devices?

Huuuuuuhhh ... let's try and get this thread back on track.

Here's one that should appeal to BZ and Jack. The story isn't top notch of course but it's an interesting oddity nonetheless - From Amazing Man # 26, let me introduce the King of Darkness -

Maybe I'm the only one (in the world?) who would care.

Forget maybe.

Here goes anyway:

"Wavelengths from 100 billion to one trillion per second" -- those are frequencies, not wavelengths, and they correspond to a range from the top of microwaves into the far infrared.

"2 x 10**16 to 6 x 10** 7 [Hz]" = vacuum ultraviolet to soft X-rays.

Jack

45240-AM26-B1.jpg

...Oh well, thankfully for us, we can take solace in those funny books. Here's Briefer on Rex Dexter from Mystery Men # 4 -

Fantastic!

What's up with "earthly prize" Cynde? She's mute? Do you think that Rex made a wise choice for interplanetary flights?

Lord Marvel is fantastic! He reminds me of a character from a much later comic book -- underground I think -- with his tiny features on a big head. If I find him, I'll post a pic.

Thanks,

Jack

45328-M4-RD1.jpg

The story isn't top notch of course but it's an interesting oddity nonetheless - From Amazing Man # 26, let me introduce the King of Darkness -

Lamest superhero strip ever. :applause:

You don't want me to prove you wrong, trust me ...

The story isn't top notch of course but it's an interesting oddity nonetheless - From Amazing Man # 26, let me introduce the King of Darkness -

I gotta tell you...I've read some doozies!

I gotta tell you...I've read some doozies!

Yup. Let's start with the Pied Piper. Not a bad splash but to see him in action :sick:

45339-Catman8-PiedPiperSplash.jpg.3e1c54a65dc937c6f2a8f4dd83977d04.jpg

45340-Catman8-PiedPiperinAction.jpg.76e794ce9e2fd1529fd18c193cf20743.jpg

All right, it seems showing bad pages makes you guys run and hide. Let's see if I can hear more comments from a better story, both story and art-wise. Here's from Prize 24, a Green Lama story. It invokes the treachery of Pearl Harbor and some poetic justice. The art is by Jack Binder (?).

45405-P24-GL1.jpg.8e8e4a6d2e90004f57ea0ca814bd29ef.jpg

45406-P24-GL2.jpg.9cef67be4df8519041b61378f2d89888.jpg

45407-P24-GL3.jpg.288dd1fe33cdb0ee1f51eb3038507271.jpg

45408-P24-GL4.jpg.e5a5a8c6fc1a460eb90e37d169ed8085.jpg

45409-P24-GL5.jpg.e1c599c5ac4f28e8ba1f58644089ed14.jpg

45410-P24-GL6.jpg.6f1f8a5e709099d994ccaf45be4dc7e8.jpg

45411-P24-GL7.jpg.d06ed4eb211826400effc9920c6f45a6.jpg

45412-P24-GL8.jpg.24bd8732fd149d4f5228d1f5019f6ab1.jpg

Scrooge

It was all just a ploy to get you to post more obscure pages. (thumbs u

I have to admit - some of those characters are pretty "special" - but none are drawn as poorly as King of Darkness. He looks like some comic-con nerd dressed in a poorly made Blue Beetle costume.

Love the Green Llama art! - "Richard Foster" is Jack Binder? - cool stuff - as always thanks for posting!! (and how do you gert all your pages to look so white?)

Meanwhile, for BZ, here's a nice DD page. That's a Duck with a Conscience -

Luck of the North from FC 256. (thumbs u Here's an excerpt about Donald's conscience from Overstreet #7 where they mention the story.

"Only poor Donald continually falls prey to remorse. Goaded beyond his endurance by Gladstone's endless bragging, Donald fakes a treasure map that sends him off on a wild gander chase to the Artic. Later that evening, Donald tosses and turns in his bed, pondering Gladstone's fate. 'Guys can get stranded on those ice floes and drift for months! Have to live on fish! Ha! Ha! Wonder if he thought to bring a knife and fork-' But then, as remorse sets in: 'Or am I being funny?'"

45341-AM24-Nightshade.jpg

The artist on Nightshade is Homer Fleming. He did a lot of work for DC, mostly westerns.

Today he is a forgotten figure from comic's earliest days, but take a look at this listing of DC comics where his work appeared from 1936-1944:

Action 1-22

Big All-American Comic Book 1

Detective Comics 1-5, 7-17, 20, 21, 23-25, 27,28, 30-36

Flash Comics 4-55

More Fun Comics 12-50

New Adventure Comics 12-27

New Comics 4-11

That's a mighty impressive resume.

He also worked for many other publishers through the years (Centaur, Fox, Gilberton, Quality, Street & Smith, etc.).