• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

(NB: I promise the next story I post will feature more testoterone ...)

Well, I'd better since Dotty left everyone cold, or should I say that Al Hartley did ...

What says testoterone better than blowing up stuff? ... Nothing, so let's drop the big one -

45651-PN9-A1.jpg.7d21e1af8be44c07cff6c36604f20781.jpg

45652-PN9-A2.jpg.db562d198683f64d8e38ccbf55908997.jpg

45653-PN9-A3.jpg.229b909db84f360a8b58b35beac7b5d0.jpg

45654-PN9-A4.jpg.fec8e862facf6de5bc6e05623d5d555c.jpg

45655-PN9-A5.jpg.132e36cb904c9e76be675c6a36682eaf.jpg

45656-PN9-A6.jpg.7862b84ec0b123871e6685262bdc8e38.jpg

hm Hmmm...

We're heading down the true story route, eh?

Okay, then let's take a look at Real Fact Comics # 8.

It features the second appearance of Tommy Tomorrow and has artwork by the famous fantasy illustrator, Virgil Finlay.

realfact8GA.jpg

(NB: I promise the next story I post will feature more testoterone ...)

Well, I'd better since Dotty left everyone cold, or should I say that Al Hartley did ...

I liked it, just too busy to comment.

Best Hartley artwork I've ever seen, GGA torn skirt, special appearances by carbolic acid and a (stuffed) gorilla. Not bad at all.

What says testoterone better than blowing up stuff? ... Nothing, so let's drop the big one -

They all hate us anyhow...

WHOA! Some story! Where's it from? PN9 = Picture News 9?

Not too often you get to read about "The Earth's end! Utter destruction everywhere!"

(Well, I suppose not too infrequently in comic books.)

Jack

Real Funnies??

I suppose in the sense of, "That's real funny!"

What's hilarious to me is that the cover artist had a "animals sticking their tongue out" fetish. It simply cracks me up. It's flat-out weird :screwy:

Yes, the Atom Bomb over Bikini story is from Picture News # 9.

Ad from Red Ryder # 3.

greenlamaad.jpg

A quick follow-up on the Green Lama. Here's his look in the pulps. Note that in the ad, it mentions that the Green Lama can "paralyze an enemy by a touch of his hand". Notice in the page below that the text refers to an annotation at the bottom that explains how the Green Lama can do that - The illo and text are from the May 1940 issue of The Green Lama - Croesus of Murder -

45676-GreenLama-May1940-Pulp.jpg.a2381ea963801607924cf81bd52801af.jpg

Scrooge, MrBedrock has recommended that we all read Whiz 25 and Master 22 if we get the opportunity.

Any chance you could post scans of the Capt. Nazi stories from those issues?

I have those pages but the quality of the scans is just plain awful (esp. for Master 22)... I had those stories in the Shazam! archives I believe but I sold my set to Timulty a loooong while ago. Sorry.

Erik Larsen states in another thread that Image Comics NEXT ISSUE PROJECT is looking to take a defunct Golden Age book and produce the next issue of it, utilizing the talents of modern creators.

Mark Zaid has nominated Phantasmo, and I second that motion. lol

Funnies45GA.jpg

New Funnies # 45 (July 1940)