• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

That would be fantastic! (was my hint too subtle? :makepoint:)

Dr. Fate seemed like it might be up your alley ... I really liked Sherman's art, from what I've seen in reprints. Very clean and stylized, much like Guardineer's ( a fav of mine).

That would be fantastic! (was my hint too subtle? :makepoint:)

Dr. Fate seemed like it might be up your alley ... I really liked Sherman's art, from what I've seen in reprints. Very clean and stylized, much like Guardineer's ( a fav of mine).

Mine too. What the heck, like I need an excuse to post it...

morefun56-1.jpg

I would NEVER have pegged those panels as Shuster art!!!

Thanks for the photos BZ!

This is what these boards are really about ... we need more interior photos and covers.

(tsk) Ryan. I believe I posted all splash pages from Slam Bradley earlier somewhere in the thread. I'll post a complete story or two tomorrow since you asked though :foryou:

I would NEVER have pegged those panels as Shuster art!!!

Thanks for the photos BZ!

This is what these boards are really about ... we need more interior photos and covers.

(tsk) Ryan. I believe I posted all splash pages from Slam Bradley earlier somewhere in the thread. I'll post a complete story or two tomorrow since you asked though :foryou:

Begging works!!

About 20 years ago I wrote to Jerry Siegel hoping I could get him to answer some questions I had regarding his 1930's publishing activities in SF fandom.

Unfortunately he never responded to my specific questions, but he did put me on his Christmas card list.

christmas1990.jpg

christmas1990b.jpg

This one is from Detective # 4 -

53882-D4-SB1.jpg

53883-D4-SB2.jpg

53885-D4-SB4.jpg

53893-D4-SB12.jpg

Thanks for posting, Scrooge. :applause:

I'm very impressed with Joe Shuster's artwork.

Was anyone else doing such imaginative layouts in the 1930's?

Most artists at that time aped the layouts of newspaper comic strips. Shuster seems to have instinctively understood the comic book medium and took full advantage of using the full page to tell the story.

His layouts and breakdown of the panels to tell the story is excellent -- clean, clear & still very pleasing to the eyes. I think there's more than a little reliance on Roy Crane as far as his style for figure drawing.

Many comic book artists at that time were emulating comic strip artists, particularly the work of Caniff, Raymond and Foster.

Shuster's choice of Crane as an inspiration is rather refreshing, I think. lol

Incidentally, I'm a big fan of Roy Crane. :gossip:

Me too! And I thought Shuster's style was unique until I started reading Wash Tubbs.

Many of the comic book artists at that time were emulating comic strip artists, namely Caniff, Raymond and Foster. Shuster's choice of Crane as an inspiration is rather refreshing, I think. lol

... or simply a reflection of the limitation of Shuster as a draftsman. He made it up plenty with his layouts and composition but otherwise, as we've mentioned before, his figure work is unimaginative. Spy, Slam Bradley and Superman are one and the same and I'm sure other of his characters have the same look.

I did a quick comparison for visuals, seen below -

53900-ShusterComparisons.jpg.1d1ddd7366ec178a067812642c8564ee.jpg

I've haven't had any luck in accessing the Who's Who of American Comic Books website in the last week, or so.

http://bailsprojects.com

Is anyone else having that problem?

Yes. It's been mentioned on the GCD list and I hope someone is working on resolving the problem or at least contacting the person that can solve the issue ... :wishluck: